Reputation system added

Have to agree, I hate seeing posts where someone says "Cheers for that advice/link/whatever" then the person responds with "Give me rep points!" Surely, rep points are given out if you think the person deserves them, not because they've DEMANDED them? And I also dislike this whole "you give me a point and I'll give you one" and the "give me points to cancel out my bad rep" thing.

That said, I think most people can handle this system reasonably and are doing. Now, if people can just understant that you can't give out negative points just because someone gave you one. <_<

Yus indeed. Whats the point in giving a neg point, when theres a 99% chance the person will give you one back in retaliation?

The rep points that tick me off are the "heres a rep point, because you're a mate :)"

Yeah, that really makes a difference to a stranger who reads your profile the first time..

(Also, check my rep points.. do you think +1 rep point for "PIMP" makes me more respectable?)

Edit: Infact the only decent rep point I got was from IronWolf about the reviews. The rest are just garbage.. But it can't be erased can it?

Edited by TaQ
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed it does, but it's just more work for you in the end mate.

Will you be removing "spam" reps? Such as "haha you cracked a good joke, have a rep point"? Or will they be left on?

*light bulb appears ontop of head*

I suggest a rep point mod! (If that hasn't been thought of already..)

I thought when the 'rep' point system was proposed and implemented, it was intended to be used as a guide as to how 'good' or 'useful' someone was with regards to airsofting issues.

Wether it be good advise, being friendly, etc.

What it seems to be in a lot of cases (not all mind, but a lot) is mates patting their other mates on the back, sort of old boy network really. Many rep points are 'they gave me rep point, so here's one back again.', 'Is a really good guy.', etc.

Not really useful as a guide as to someones knowledge or attitude on this site or airsofting in general.

Just my impressions mind....

<_<

I thought when the 'rep' point system was proposed and implemented, it was intended to be used as a guide as to how 'good' or 'useful' someone was with regards to airsofting issues. 

Wether it be good advise, being friendly, etc. 

What it seems to be in a lot of cases (not all mind, but a lot) is mates patting their other mates on the back, sort of old boy network really. Many rep points are 'they gave me rep point, so here's one back again.', 'Is a really good guy.', etc.

Not really useful as a guide as to someones knowledge or attitude on this site or airsofting in general.

Just my impressions mind....

<_<

Brooklyn holla back. Heres a rep point for such a brilliant opinion.. :)

....That was a joke. I don't go round patting peoples backs, I'm not like that.

But honestly, I reckon it's getting ridiculous. Mods like Nuno do their job, then he gets a negative by an angry member. Is there any need?

Brooklyn holla back. Heres a rep point for such a brilliant opinion.. :)

....That was a joke. I don't go round patting peoples backs, I'm not like that.

But honestly, I reckon it's getting ridiculous. Mods like Nuno do their job, then he gets a negative by an angry member. Is there any need?

I think you really are just joking, but just in case - me post wasn't aimed at any individuals (ie you TaQ), just what I have seen from viewing the rep points given to members in general.

It makes the system fairly pointless and just waters it down to the point of uselessness when people are giving points for telling jokes and none for giving sound advise on airsoft...

:P

I think you really are just joking, but just in case - me post wasn't aimed at any individuals (ie you TaQ), just what I have seen from viewing the rep points given to members in general.

It makes the system fairly pointless and just waters it down to the point of uselessness when people are giving points for telling jokes and none for giving sound advise on airsoft...

Bleh? I was joking you silly! :P I never thought your post was aimed at me in the first place lol.

Yeah I've been snooping round looking at rep points too.. I see what you see. "uselessnessness" plus it's another something to be ontop of, like the post count as I said before.

Thing I don't get is, I've seen you feefye as a member well before I joined up, and I see you giving good advice and infomation to the forum, but yet I see you don't have one positive rep point. All the old members of Arnies aren't really put in the limelight because of the lack of rep points they have (and then you get new members who just post off-topic drivel who have 10+ points.. <_<)

Can I make a request?

- Remove the postcount system.

- Remove the reputation system PERIOD, and return back to just the good / bad trades

thread approach.

(*Edit* Main reason for this is that I've got loads of feedback, which is great, and for which I am truly grateful, as it shows people don't think I'm a complete fruitcage, but I then feel guilty and that I'll antagonise people if I don't do the same back, and so feel honour-bound to return the favour. The reputation system was a nice idea, but it's not really ever going to work, as it'll just become another method of gaining 'prestige' for some people, rather than simply having the CONTENT of your posts speak volumes about you.)

- Give us all something more important to complain about, like say, issuing subscription fees...

(I was joking about this last one... :mellow: )

Edited by Marlowe

I'm not removing the post count system. There's no "system" it's just a tally of how many posts someone has made. It'd make far more sense to remove people permenantly from the forums that think that a post count amounts to anything other than the number of times they have posted. ;)

As listed in the guidance I stuck up for the rep system it's only to give users feedback on their posts on the forum, not for anything else. That's why you can only leave feedback from a specific thread or post (as it's recorded where you leave it from).

People abusing the system will just end up getting themselves banned - that's life really. You can't stop people doing stupid things, sadly there's no way to filter out idiots or idiotic actions on the internet. If there was it'd be more popular than that stupid free iPod system. :)

I don't think the post count system is really too much of a problem. Especially with posts in the off-topic area not counting towards it, it is just a rough guide as to how many times a person posts in other areas.

Some people are prolific posters (many times in one thread), others might only post once, saying all they need to say in that one post.

Different horses for different courses.

The reputation system just doesn't do what it says on the outside of the tin.

Oh, on a side note, I think all 'Arnaholics' should be able to change their text under the avatar, regardless of post counts. Nudge,nudge..... ;)

It'd make far more sense to remove people permenantly from the forums that think that a post count amounts to anything other than the number of times they have posted. ;)

You wouldn't have a forum ;)

There seem to be an awfull lot of people that think a big postcount makes them a better shot, more inteligent, more attractive to women, larger in the trouser contents etc.

Slight problem: are you saying that people with less than 50 posts cannot add rep points?? I just have bought some stuff from people with less than 50 posts, so they won't be able to leave me good feedback..........

It there anyway that we could get the mods to add the ppints for me when the stuff arrives???

McMadkat

P.S.

There seem to be an awfull lot of people that think a big postcount makes them a better shot, more intelligent, more attractive to women, larger in the trouser contents etc.

Arnie has a postcount of 500,000+, what does that make him? :D

Edited by McMadkat

I do think that the rep system works, pretty much, given that you should be posting accurate reasons for WHY that Rep was given.

I don't ever expect to be given Rep for my advice or my behaviour. It's a nice bonus, and makes me feel warm and fizzy when it happens.

I will only rep someone if they have done something out of the ordinary, or brightened my day. Marlowe got rep added because he is a great contributor to these forums. I actually felt guilty when I got a rep point back in return, because I didn't feel I deserved it.

Edited by Ghost_Rider

I accidentally gave And The Story Ends a positive reputation point for an unhelpful comment. Could you change it to a negative point?

Also, he replied with a negative point even though the point I gave him was in accordance with the rules. I even cited what he said and said it was unhelpful and sarcastic.

So far, I only see this system abused with people able to freely give each other points without much moderation. Perhaps a moderator should be assigned to clear reputation points?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.