Reputation system added

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done, best to PM me about such things though.

Whilst everyone becomes used to the rep system and we all work out the best way to use it feedback is needed to help direct the way things are run.

Please don't post retaliation comments though as it doesn't help.

I suppose that in fairness posting a negative rep point may well attract one in return (much like eBay does). I can either choose to moderate the system or leave it as a community system to grow as it is used and only remove posts that are blatantly against the forum rules. Not really decided which yet ;)

Done, best to PM me about such things though.

Whilst everyone becomes used to the rep system and we all work out the best way to use it feedback is needed to help direct the way things are run.

Please don't post retaliation comments though as it doesn't help.

I suppose that in fairness posting a negative rep point may well attract one in return (much like eBay does). I can either choose to moderate the system or leave it as a community system to grow as it is used and only remove posts that are blatantly against the forum rules. Not really decided which yet ;)

Couldn't you bolt on a report button like you have down with forum posts?

Some of us might feel a little left-out at times (cough) :whistling::lol: , but I'd say that keeping it community-controlled is A Good Thing.

People will soon work out which people add meaningless negative comments.

At least it'll prevent any "MODZ AM WER BAD TO MEEZ!!1!!1!" comments. I hope.

The rep system that was related to trades worked well, it indicated the honesty of the people involved, which served a valuable purpose.

This new system seems to measure how many of your mates reciprocally give you points - Totally valueless, in my view, I'm afraid to say.

Cheers.

yep. until you get negative rep from someone for posting simple facts beneficial to the other readers of the post....

arnies2xj.jpg

I hardly think this is 'simple facts beneficial to the other readers of the post'.

Edit: I tend to agree with Snowman in that the reputation system doesn't show a users true merits but rather how popular one is on the forums.

Edited by Catchv22
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed something. A lot of the reputation points added are from the off-topic and humor sections. I'm not sure if this would be for the best as how humorous you are isn't truly how much of a help you are in the airsoft community.

I think I finally understand that ASCUK/UKAN thing about Arnies members not being 'serious enough'.

The rep system that was related to trades worked well, it indicated the honesty of the people involved, which served a valuable purpose.

This new system seems to measure how many of your mates reciprocally give you points - Totally valueless, in my view, I'm afraid to say.

Cheers.

I'm in 2 minds here.

Personally, I reckon that the rep system DOES work by giving people incentive to help others in the hope of receiving rep points.

My own rep stat's come from helping people enough that they felt obliged to give me rep points.

I've given out about 4 or 5 "gratuitous" rep points to people who I thought deserved them, yourself included.

Personally, I'd object if a reputation system would place a person who sells a lot of stuff but makes no contribution to the forums higher than, well, myself.

On the other hand, I can see how certain cliques around here are making a farce of the system.

TBH, no matter what systems are in place, there is always a "postocracy" on every forum. There will always be a clique of elite people who can get away with breaking the rules and doing stuff that others get a reaming for. Our rep system reflects that in some cases. Can't really be helped IMO.

Hopefully, if left alone for a few months, things will settle down to a point where people will stop abusing the system.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the rep. system as it stands at the moment.

I would consider giving a rep. point to anybody that helps me in some way, or anyone who completes a successful sale of some sort with me. If someone gives me a rep. point for something superficial I will usually give one back just out of courtesy, but I might stop doing that too ;)

In general I'm not a big fan of things like postcounts and reputation systems on forum as it just breeds elitism and that is a bad thing to have on a forum IMO.

On the other hand, I think the current system is just fine. By the law of large numbers, things should even out in the end. For instance, HaVoC_Man didn't get all his 140 some point by merely posting jokes. I've seen numerous occasions where he's the first one to answer newbie's questions in detail, and his rep points certain reflect his helpfulness and also activeness.

Besides, I don't really take the point system that seriously. If one just observe the forums for a couple days, s/he'll know who are the regulars, who give help, and who spam. ;) One is also able just read what a poster get all his point for, so s/he can judge for herself/himself.

If we must reform, we can have the mods to be the only ones capable assigning rep points. ;) More work and power to the mods. :D

How about mine from Sledge...he dinked me for a point without asking for a clarification.

Hmm... if you look, the next but one post down from the post you made is me questioning your post. Two weeks later, nothing said. Therefore, I conclude you can't back up your argument and react accordingly. This is a public forum, the whole point is that discussions need to take place in public. If you say something here, be prepared to back it up. You didn't, so I assumed you were talking ######. You have NOW responded to that point, but not, I believe, satisfactorily. Also, your post in the recent SA80 thread is very misleading, but I can only give you 1 negative rep point at a time. See R22Master's repsonse, and Hissing Sid's review, for further details.

:zorro:

Unfortunately...I don't scan "all" the threads. I do have a life other then airsoft...but the comments from my Academy L85 experience came directly from helping MacFelon do this conversion over 3 YEARS ago when the Academy L85 went out of production for I got the last one from WGC. They have been put back into production just recently in early 2004, but honestly...I don't talk out of my *albartroth*...much...:P

http://www.mnairsoft.org/cgi-bin/ultimateb...t=001168#000000

and you coulda PM'd me like I did to you...

Remember the old Benny Hill Skit about Assuming...you shouldn't do it...

Edited by Guges Mk3

1) Never got your PM. They do, sadly, get lost in the system occasionally.

2) The debate was in a public forum, why not respond to the point there?

3) What have I assumed?

4) Your link strikes me as less relevant than my mentioning I had fish, chips, sausage and curry sauce for lunch. There is a review on this site of a new SA80, and a thread devoted to its upgrading. All of which contradicts the comments you made.

:zorro:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.