Reputation system added

It seems a very hit and miss system really.......

I try not to give +'s unless I have a valid reason, but sometimes it's hard not to give a + to someone who's given yourself one, because it means you've had some sort of positive interaction with that person.

I find a lot of Antagon and Sledge's posts interesting for example, but have given neither of them a point as we have had no positive interaction / direct help given as such. It does not mean I don't like them as members though.

I accidentally gave Spedz an extra one, one night because I'd been on the beer and forgotten that I'd already given him one!.....my own stupidity.. :huh:

Havoc - seems a nice guy and I think deserves most of his reps, I gave him one due to like I said, some positive interaction and pm's. But, I noticed that Viper... something seems to give him a point at any opportunity and for seemingly no reason whatsoever - a blatant abuse of the system IMO. ( Nothing against you Havoc.... ! ).

Retaliation negs are pure abuse. Sometimes you can give a neg for a very valid reason, but the recipient sometimes gives a neg right back. This is not on really, but also shows immaturity.

Don't know really - a hard thing to monitor......

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retaliation negs are pure abuse. Sometimes you can give a neg for a very valid reason, but the recipient sometimes gives a neg right back. This is not on really, but also shows immaturity.

No kidding?!

I gave Whitefeather a -ve point for constantly prattling on about the marines for 3 or 4 days. He immediately gave me one back for some reason.

An act made doubly schizophrenic seeing as my previous +ve point was given by him as well. :D :D :D

1) Never got your PM. They do, sadly, get lost in the system occasionally.

2) The debate was in a public forum, why not respond to the point there?

3) What have I assumed?

4) Your link strikes me as less relevant than my mentioning I had fish, chips, sausage and curry sauce for lunch. There is a review on this site of a new SA80, and a thread devoted to its upgrading. All of which contradicts the comments you made.

:zorro:

So I talk/write like a freaking Fortune Cookie sometimes, so when you don't understand...you dink people?

1. That's a bummer

2. It was getting personal...so I took it private...don't need to air dirty laundry in public.

3. You have assumed I am a total "git", I am only a partial "git".

4. Well my info is 3 YEARS old and you could have pointed that out, then asked me to quantify my comments, and help by providing helpful links and just keeping open a level of dialog.

But, thinking about it...I suppose you would have done the same thing if I was on Holiday for 3 weeks. Oh, no response, -PING- idiot point.

Again...you are to quick on the draw...being established doesn't mean you are always right. I always let the other guy explain himself and if they are wrong they hang themselves with their own rope...but, who knows they might have been right or partially right and one would have learned something new.

Edited by Guges Mk3
So I talk/write like a freaking Fortune Cookie sometimes, so when you don't understand...you dink people?
Well structured English is generally the preferred form of communication on a forum, yes.

1. That's a bummer
Word. Nearly cost me an Uncle Mike's Sidekick 'cos of it, but that's another story.

2. It was getting personal...so I took it private...don't need to air dirty laundry in public.
Asking you to explain why you've posted what you said is personal? :blink:

3. You have assumed I am a total "git", I am only a partial "git".
What ARE you talking about?

4. Well my info is 3 YEARS old and you could have pointed that out, then asked me to quantify my comments, and help by providing helpful links and just keeping open a level of dialog.
OR you could do some research before posting info you know to be three years out of date.

But, thinking about it...I suppose you would have done the same thing if I was on Holiday for 3 weeks.  Oh, no response, -PING- idiot point.
Your point?

Again...you are to quick on the draw...
Waited over two weeks, hardly "quick on the draw"

Curly Bill: Watch it, I hear he's real fast.

Johnny Ringo: Yup, I heard he once drew, fired and reholstered his gun withing a week!

being established doesn't mean you are always right.
Again, what ARE you talking about?

I always let the other guy explain himself and if they are wrong they hang themselves with their own rope...but, who knows they might have been right or partially right and one would have learned something new.

Waited (again, and for emphasis) TWO WEEKS. Is this long enough, or should I wait for mankind to die out and a new lifeform to evolve?

Edited by Sledge

Wow, cool down people. :mellow:

Look Mk23 sometimes we're wrong, you fought with what you had but you just didn't have enough ammo. Just let it be, besides the only person who can beat sledge is H&Kchick ;)

Edited by Cinder

this is the trouble with the rep system.

There are very, VERY few people who realise they are being a prat. If they did, they'd stop it.

so as soon as a - rep point is given, they get all defensive and angry. Next thing you know, a rows brewed up, threads are locked left, right, and centre, and we mods don't get to have a life for a week :)

It has its good points, that justify keeping it, I just wish people would put less EMPHASIS on it- look, if someone gives you a negative rep point, so what? I'd only worry about it if its a mod doing it, as this normally means (due to our omnipotent and infallible nature) that ou have well and truly smegged up somewhere.

other than that, so what? its a forum, hardly real life. come on guys, get over it, there's good chaps.

Okay...okay...I'll just let it slide...we are both typing in English...but we DON'T understand each other.

I am just a masochist of dialog...nothing more...I feel that communication is very lacking in this world and its just my personal "habit" to learn and to see things from all points of views.

And when someone doesn't see my point of view I try and communicate what I see or learn and from them what they see.

yawn..

Guges- if you feel that badly about it, just give sledge one back in return... he's got enough in total to handle it, and he is a big boy now, who won't whine and whinge that you gave him an undeserved rep point (unlike some people I could mention)... I feel like giving him undeserved rep points all the time, just for a laugh. I wonder if that is the whole point of this thread though, that that is not the point.

or is it?

[/fortune cookie mode off]

Or in simpler terms...

Shut UP!

and he is a big boy now

*cough*

Sorry, my cold's flaring up again... :unsure:

-------------------------------------------------------------

I must protest about a few users who seem to have something against me, though. toenails, for one, will -1 me whenever he comes on the forums. He'll stumble across a post of mine, and -1 me for no reason from it. Then, a week later, he'll do it again, post once, and then disappear for another week. Very odd.

Don't get me started on lint and leetpants (the same person, IMHO) and somethingmustdie - I -1 them for acting like utter twats, and they -1 me back for no reason. Right... :rolleyes:

Still, it couldn't mean much less to me - theirs soon get cancelled out ;)

As I've said before, it DOES NOT MATTER.

guges- thry to understand this. Once you do, it makes everything so much more pleasant. ANYONE can take a rep point off, or award one, to ANYONE ELSE.

There is no way, given such a system, that the points are going to end up MEANING anything, so what the hell? you get a negative point, so what, you get a plus point, so what? its meaningless.

again, its only a real problem if you want to be selling stuff all the time on the boards, in which case, contact a mod and we'll look into your case.

otherwise, what the hell? who actually LOOKS at the rep bar anyway? no-one. so stuff it.

Is this still true? I have more than the 50 posts stated above, but I still can't add a reputaion point to anyone.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

The server's undergone some upgrade lately, and the problem might be temporary. Just wait for a couple more days.

Or, try to increase your post count to 100 in the mean time. :D

Edited by Shao14

i would just like to add i believe the system is slightly unfair to those who have to wait to give reputation. if they have to wait to give rep, then others should have to wait to GIVE them rep. I have already received 2 negative points from hissing sid and from megalomaniac. one was titled' cock' by hissing squid, totally unprovoked and unjustified, and the other one was because i was supposedly being disrespectful, but it was in my own defense just simply because i brouht up a sentence about Real guns. well i can't do anything bout my neg rep, and maybe i shouldnt care.. but if everyone didnt make such a habit of judging others based on their reputation, i wouldn't care. but thats not how things work. in order for your 'word' to be worth anything in this internet society, rediculously your rep has to be at a certain point so that people start respecting you. personally, since im here and allowed to give my opinion, i don't think reputations should matter much unless you are buying or selling. people just abuse this priviledge as ive seen the same people who gave ME negative feedback, they give others negative feedback for stupid reasons like saying the word 'gay' (according to hissing sid).

The system is unfair to those who steam in here, ignore the rules and act like children. I for one hope it stays that way. For further details, see the post I attached to the -1 I just gave you.

For your word to be worth anything on this forum, you need to make useful comments (unless you're in the off topic areas). So far, you have had a go at several other members, ignored the rules and whined like a little b**ch when caught out. Hardly likely to win respect, is it?

i would just like to add i believe the system is slightly unfair to those who have to wait to give reputation. if they have to wait to give rep, then others should have to wait to GIVE them rep. I have already received 2 negative points from hissing sid and from megalomaniac. one was titled' cock' by hissing squid, totally unprovoked and unjustified, and the other one was because i was supposedly being disrespectful, but it was in my own defense just simply because i brouht up a sentence about Real guns. well i can't do anything bout my neg rep, and maybe i shouldnt care.. but if everyone didnt make such a habit of judging others based on their reputation, i wouldn't care. but thats not how things work. in order for your 'word' to be worth anything in this internet society, rediculously your rep has to be at a certain point so that people start respecting you. personally, since im here and allowed to give my opinion, i don't think reputations should matter much unless you are buying or selling. people just abuse this priviledge as ive seen the same people who gave ME negative feedback, they give others negative feedback for stupid reasons like saying the word 'gay' (according to hissing sid).

Jeez...

Bleat bleat bleat.

You got a point for being "disrespectful" and I upset you by suggesting you have some respect for what other forum members (Banzai) try to tell you. You then get another 2 points for "being an *albatross*" and you're STILL not getting the message?

Come on, people, let's all back off a bit.

MischiefLTS: please respect forum rules, and others. Real steel discussions are allowed to a certain extend (again, details in the forum rules and guidelines).

Hissing_Sid: please be a little bit constructive when you give a neg point to others even if you don't feel the need.

Hissing_Sid: please be a little bit constructive when you give a neg point to others even if you don't feel the need.

Sorry but you'll notice that I didn't give him the rep point when I made my original post suggesting he pay attention to Banzai.

I gave it him after he spent the rest of the thread trying to slag me off and take the mickey out of me. I call a spade a spade. In this case, he was acting like a cock. Thus, I posted what I did.

TBH, I find that there's sometimes too much syrupy "Oh lordy, don't hurt the poor lambs' feelings" on this forum. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to give people the slap they deserve.

Beyond that, discussing what's right or wrong or what's acceptable only serves to blur the message.

Right now MischiefTLS probably thinks he has some support because of what you're saying and because somebody saw fit to remove my rep point.

If he's in the right then tell me. If he's in the wrong then let's make that clear too. Send a clear message rather than poncing around worrying about peoples feelings.

Sorry but you'll notice that I didn't give him the rep point when I made my original post suggesting he pay attention to Banzai.

I gave it him after he spent the rest of the thread trying to slag me off and take the mickey out of me. I call a spade a spade. In this case, he was acting like a cock. Thus, I posted what I did.

TBH, I find that there's sometimes too much syrupy "Oh lordy, don't hurt the poor lambs' feelings" on this forum. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to give people the slap they deserve.

Beyond that, discussing what's right or wrong or what's acceptable only serves to blur the message.

Right now MischiefTLS probably thinks he has some support because of what you're saying and because somebody saw fit to remove my rep point.

If he's in the right then tell me. If he's in the wrong then let's make that clear too. Send a clear message rather than poncing around worrying about peoples feelings.

Sorry, I didn't follow the original thread where all this debate was coming from.

You know, slapping a kid may not be the most effective way to teach a kid. Sure it works well in a lot of cases, but there are better ways too.

I believe you were justified to give him a negative point, but you may want to make sure that he is also clear why he deserved that, and by just saying 'cock' (Arnie might want to re-consider sensoring that word. :lol:), you might not have conveyed that information so clearly as you have just did here.

May I just point out that its a little number on an online forum. HOW MUCH DOES IT MATTER?

Not that much. I don't even care about the rep points on ebay that much (though if the seller has a low rep, I'd check out what others have said about him/her, and most of the time, it seems to be retaliatory points, and some seem to be from the same person. Always wondering how you can do that on ebay. :P)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.