Reputation system added

Its supposed to be for sales, but can apply to everthing else.

Personally I think for the purposes of sales its good, but otherwise is largely irrelavent. It nearly impossible to quantify reputation, word of mouth is much more useful for that sort of thing. Plus this system is open to abuse, although it could have the effect of making someone change the way they present themselves, instead of ego tripping about getting a -1.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta admit, i never use it, i never even think of using it. not because people on here dont deserve it, they do, but i just cant see the point, and forget.

and like sp00n said, if someone gets a point against them, they retaliate. perhaps if they were limited strictly to the for sales forums it would be good.

I did give rep points to those people who I thought deserved them.

However, Arnie has decreed that the system is to be used for sales rather than for overall reputation so I'm not giving any out, cos I haven't traded with anybody on the forum...

... except Smyth602 who stole £150 from me.

Anyway, I can't help noticing that a lot of people are still racking up rep points which are given for reasons such as "He's a cool guy" or "Polite".

So, what's the deal?

Are we allowed, again, to give points on the basis of all-round-good-egg-ness or is it still supposed to be restricted to traders?

Personally, I don't think it does the forum any good at all when some little tosspot who happens to be part of an MSN clique who have all awarded each other a pile of rep points has a better rep than somebody such as Snowman or Antagon.

All that tells noobs is that Arnies regards being part of a herd above intelligence.

For the two days that people were being rewarded for being helpful (via rep points) I noticed that the complexion of the whole forum changed. When it was decided that the rep system would apply only to traders you could see the interest fade away.

Check back and look at the lack of "Do a search dumb-*albatross*" posts made in the two days when everybody was clawing for rep points.

The forum was a nicer place for those 2 days.

Sadly, I guess, the system might be doomed to failure due to decent people being given -ve points by those same packs of hyena who are now busily awarding each other points.

Edited by Hissing Sid

Agreed, I'm a gonna get my *albartroth* into gear in a moment and tidy up the way the system works, and write some rules up for it. If false rep points are written a PM to a me with a link means I can check and delete things where needed.

One major rule will be that reputation points cannot be given in retaliation, or "just because he's a mate", all points will have to be given in relation to a forum thread.

At the moment the rep code only allows moi (the admin) to edit and delete stuff in the rep system. I'm going to have to delve through the code and rewrite it so that global mods can also do the same.

...gimme a bit to do it and I'll get it sorted.

Word of warning.. the "big 'ol key 'o doom" here (okay.. I'll just be writing up an SQL query to do it in a few seconds, but you get the idea) might be used to wipe the current rep points that have been given and re-zero the lot. when I've sorted thigns out.

well its better, definitely, but i would still rather see it limited to the sales forums.

other than reading through the pages and pages of "good seller / bad seller" threads (which i doubt anybody wants to do), there is no clear, instant way to see if someone is trustworthy or not.

the rep system clearly shows if someone is trusted, which is of massive benefit for people who are wary or new to internet forum trading here.

just my opinion.

In all fairness we don't know if someone's a bad trader or not until they become one.. and anyone that is a bad trader gets banned from the forums after the matter is resolved.

That's why there's new rules about trading online in the forums that ask people to trade details with each other, to stop the trend of one sale wonders appearing and disappearing.

just a suggestion....maybe 2 mod system....one for trading and one for...for lack of a better word, tarding. Like one bar for the "ohhh...he said ca suck" and "he's sooo dreamy"

and another one for "he gave me a gun".

it would mean more work, but it would be easier to wipe away bad ones without having to take away the ones from sales. And the tardo mod points could just be left for like 6 months...........maybe a competition or summin.

• 2 weeks later...

A bad post in a thread with many readers may result in lots of negative rep points. May seem unfair because its only a single post, but the fact is that all the readers may give points. The same happen with positive points, however seems that negative comments are more widly spread.

Dya reckon shut da f**k up

See THATs the reason you get so many negatives.

But on the other hand, I snoop round looking at other peoples rep points like a snake, and I see.. how can I say.. STUPID rep points, followed by stupid reasons...

In my opinion, I think the system is abused by many, and only used effective by the not so many. I give out my fair rep points, but I don't demand rep points back like other members I've seen. Is it another race to see who has the most rep points, just like the post count? Or are people actually taking this system to what it's originally designed for?

Have to agree, I hate seeing posts where someone says "Cheers for that advice/link/whatever" then the person responds with "Give me rep points!" Surely, rep points are given out if you think the person deserves them, not because they've DEMANDED them? And I also dislike this whole "you give me a point and I'll give you one" and the "give me points to cancel out my bad rep" thing.

That said, I think most people can handle this system reasonably and are doing. Now, if people can just understant that you can't give out negative points just because someone gave you one. <_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.