Reputation system added

oh well thank flip SOMEONE's listening to me.

look, if members really want to do you harm, they'll PM a mod, tell them what the beef is, and if its justified, we will kick yo punk *albatross*.

The rep system is just a way, as sledge said, of reminding people that they are on a forum WITH OTHER PEOPLE, who might take offence at some of their ill-thought out comments.

so get over it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see you accepted my suggestion to adopt this feature. :P

Seriously, the best thing about this is that I will be able to give negative feedback every time I read somebody refer to anything as "gay".

I dunno why but there's something about this phrase that just pushes all my buttons and makes me want to lobotomise the person with a steak knife.

Anyway, well done. Spammers and idiots beware!

I (the opinionated person that i am) dislike people that argue that there is nothing wrong with differing sexualities, and refer to those who do have a problem with it as "gay" of "faggots", so, Hissing Sid, I will join you in your quest to eradicat homophobes :P (but i'm not gay... ;) )

Anyone - join me in my quest...

Joe

The rep system appears to have dissappeared in the latest upgrade?

Hoping arnie forgot something.....

I am also getting this error messge

IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 444 of /sources/profile.php)

Edited by Ghost_Rider
You didnt have to use it, snowman

I though it added a fun dynamic to the forum, plus it meant traders could have feedback left. Plus it alowed you to se wether someone's info was likely to be trustworthy or not.

Agreed.

It's also a nice feeling to get a rep point for a well thought out post.

You didnt have to use it, snowman

I though it added a fun dynamic to the forum, plus it meant traders could have feedback left. Plus it alowed you to se wether someone's info was likely to be trustworthy or not.

Indeed and I rarely did, but it was still useless.

The system used elsewhere that relates to sales is fine and a very useful system that I regularly use.

The abuse of the system here meant it was meaningless as a way to judge someone's trustworthiness, either in terms of advice or when buying or selling.

If it comes back, it'll still be useless or, worse, misleading for newcomers to the forum.

Cheers.

Anyone judging someone's rep without reading the reasons the points have been awarded is a fool. If I need to know about someone's rep, I read through the reasons and eliminate those given for dumb reasons, and those given by people I know to be idiots. It's a fine system, it just requires people to think a little. That said, I think it did need moderating a little more than it was.

:zorro:

Anyone judging someone's rep without reading the reasons the points have been awarded is a fool. If I need to know about someone's rep, I read through the reasons and eliminate those given for dumb reasons, and those given by people I know to be idiots. It's a fine system, it just requires people to think a little. That said, I think it did need moderating a little more than it was.

:zorro:

word.

i think the rep points will be sent through to the moderating team and wont be valid until the moderators have approved it. it will generate a bigger work load for the mods and a big *albatross* script to arnie to write but it'll work... but im sure someone can find a better way than me... i think the rep point mods can be useful.

edit: if you look at people's profiles, you can still see the rep points.

just cant add or minus a rep point at the moment by the looks of it

Edited by urban-ninja
Indeed and I rarely did, but it was still useless.

The system used elsewhere that relates to sales is fine and a very useful system that I regularly use.

The abuse of the system here meant it was meaningless as a way to judge someone's trustworthiness, either in terms of advice or when buying or selling.

If it comes back, it'll still be useless or, worse, misleading for newcomers to the forum.

Cheers.

As Sledge says, if somebody takes a persons rep' on face-value without actually reading through the comments which go with it then more-fool-them.

Personally, I think the rep system is very useful. A bunch of posts to and from a particular clique all saying "Joo Rox0rz!1" tells me as much as a point somebody gets for completing a sale quickly.

If you wish to make use of the rep system solely for sales then all power to you. If you want YOUR rep to reflect your reliability as a seller then there's no reason why it shouldn't, as well as reflecting the respect people have for your pistol reviews.

I'd much rather trust a person who has 12 rep points, 8 of which are for successful sales than one who has 150 rep points for being a "cool guy".

Anybody who doesn't bother to actually read a persons rep before commiting themselves to a sale deserves all they get.

The problem is I can't be bothered to read 150 posts to work out if PosterX is a stand up guy or just has loads of rep points from his mate PosterY.

I can usually determine who is reputable and who isn't, because I'm here a lot, but newcomers may be suckered into assuming those with massive 'reputations' for being sarcastic and 3733T (or whatever it is!) are more reliable than someone who has 10 positive reputation points for trading.

Cheers.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit on the fence with this one.

I still to an extent believe that the the reputation system should've been restricted to the sale forums, and ONLY DISPLAYED in posts in those forums (to prevent idiotic, 'more rep than thou' nonsense), as typically (as Snowman quite rightly said) you can generally gain an assumption of character based upon the posts an individual makes. If you look me for instance, I typically waffle on in a random fashion and occasionally attempt something verging on coherency, and you don't really need to look at rep points to see that...

...However, recently I had seen a lot of the more mature posters utilising rep points in a fashion which was quite productive. Individuals posting helpful posts, for example, were rewarded with recognition of their effort. Such a use actually appeared to encourage responsible forum behaviour, and discouraged meaningless, unjustifiable flaming. The absence of old arguments such as which rifle is superior etc could possibly be interpreted as a product of the rep point system. That, or the participants finally got bored...

So really, I'm happy either way. I suppose the best system would be to limit it in application strictly to the sale forums, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. Failing that, additional moderation could be an alternate method of policing the use of the rep point system.

The point of the rep system was to enable people to discern who was a reputable seller or buyer.

Obviously, when they get -1'd for comments made on the off topic ection, this has nothing whatsoever to do with their honesty as a seller.

Yes, its all very well to check the comments left, but that, as snowman points out, is a lengthy and timeconsuming past-time, and it also demands foreknowledge, by the viewer, of not only the person they are checking, but those who left the comments.

Anyone with that sort of knowledge is probably someone who doesn't need to check someones rep points before conducting a sale with them, as they'll be sufficiently adept at using the various sarch tools to find out far more reliable information about the user than mere rep points allow.

Ultimately, the rep system doesn't offer arnie or the mods very good bang for its buck- the amount of times I get pm'd by people crying about wanting some silly rep point removed, or have to knock a few heads together over some mindless rep point war thats kicked off, doesn't even bear thinking about, and thats just me, I bet all the other mods have similar experiences.

Its a waste of our time, quite frankly, and its been responsible for escaltions of otherwise mild rows into full-blown handbag fights between people who really should kno better.

Too much value has been placed on them by those it is supposed to benefit, ie, the users, and as such, its been blown out of all proportion.

As I say, its made far more work for us mods (and we do actually have lives outside of arnies), and its often been used to create a very bad atmosphere in the forums.

Sure, if we had about twenty more mods who's task it was to deal specifically with whether or not a rep point has been added with validity, then fine. But until then, I'm hppy its gone, quite frankly.

And in reply to marlowe- again, all for a form of reputation recognition being added, but as before, its open to abuse- afterall, what does +20 rep mean when its been added by people for whom "good advice" revolves around the reccomendations of a FAMAS in the "Waht am b3s3st gnu?" debate?

Conversely, DumboRat, for example, used to post some of the most intelligently technical replies any airsoft board has ever seen, but as a noob, I might not consider them useful, as I haven't a clue what he's talking about, and the inner workings of a hop-up chamber might not yet be something for me to worry my fragile little mind. As such, he gets +5 rep points from the people who actually recognise his experience and knowledge, whereas the other guy gets +20 cos he argues the famas is better than a g3.

it becomes meaningless.

Like any community, those who are knowledgeable in their area soon come to the fore. We don't NEED a system of telling people who's got "respek" from the community and who doesn't, as it soon becomes clear as a thread develops.

Therefore, any form of rep system, unless controlled by trusted and non-partisan moderators who have the mandate of purely policing the rep system, becomes tiresome, meaningless, and a drain on server-space and resources.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.