The CA, Star, TOP, M249's new compitition!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things, for Flint, the link to the G+P customer service dept. is posted a few postings back, and the other, I just found out that replacement box mags are now available for sale on the retail market for anyone else who's interested. Seen them on a few of the major distributor's sites as of now, should be getting easier to get very soon as they spread out.

• 5 weeks later...

Not so sure if this is a necro post, but i just read the entire thread (mind you it's 2:37 at night and i just finished) and i would like to tell you guys tanks for the great info on this gun. I had no idea that it existed and now if i am ever in the market for a SAW, this is up there in my choices. How are your guns working as of now? I would love to know. Any pics from you guys?!?

• 2 weeks later...

I Got An G&P Ranger A few weeks ago. I had the same decision about G&P or CA. I chose G&P Purely becuase of the Out the box advantages it has. the only Problem I find is that the widning feature is a bit poor. From a 10-15 second wind Ill only get about 120 rounds out of it. Even when holding the pressure pad windiner whilst firing it does begin to let the BB's fall out of the tube so that you have to annoyingly wind it again for about 10 seconds. Although this could just be mine and i might replace the mag Its a great gun at fires at about 330 FPS at about 1000 RPM. I am also building my own auto wind system like the Star M249 to completely make my gun continously fire those 3000 bb's :D

Sorry for not posting for a while, but no change in my gun as of yet, except for around 5000 more trouble free rounds through it during two more skirmishes and adding the G+P aftermarket MKII stock to house my bigger 8.4V battery again. Just couldnt get a long enough run time out of the gun with the 9.6V 1100mah stick battery to justify keeping it in there. The MKII stock is also much more comfortable to shoot with, a fact I had forgotten since the only time I used a MKII was in Basic Training/AIT, vs. only using the Para stocked version in the Ranger Regt. Always switched to a secondary weapon anyways while clearing a building on the skirmish field, (nobody wants to get hit at that close of a range with a 390 FPS gun) so the Para stock was no real use to me, other than it looked good.

Jonny, your gun should definitely be doing 380-390FPS right out of the box. The 1000RPM sounds right, but if you are only chronoing at 330, then there's a problem. Run through any troubleshooting you might know how to do, so you dont end up frying internals or doing anything bad for the gun over time. Your ammo box issue could require some break in time, or it's not winding all the way until it fully clutches out.

Let it keep right on winding until it stops and see what you get. Most hi-caps are limited to how many rounds will go through compared to how much you have to wind them anyway. Mine was modified in the method everyone else uses to hold the spring tension in place instead of it slipping back when it starts to get too tight, therefore losing about 50 more BB's fed into the gun in the process. Star's auto feeding system does work a bit more efficently, let me know how you did it if you make it work on yours, just for curiosity's sake.

I Meant The G&P Although I Hear The CA one Is good as well and Is also ajustable to an extent.

But Mind you on a support gun It doesn't have to be 'perfect'. I mean if it Shoots about 15 BB's per second and fires around 350 on both models then you couldnt complain if they have a slight dip or dorp in them :P. But As I said There both ajustable.

LOL, at ease, you crazy bunch of killers. G+P uses a AUG type metal hop up set for the M249. As far as how it compares to CA's, all I know is that you can possibly over adjust the CA, therefore catching the nozzle and grinding up the gears in the process. Otherwise the CA hop up has reported to hold up well enough.

As far as my AUG hop up goes, it is very easy to adjust, and any of the skirmishes I've been to with the gun or shooting it recreationally has been holding right in place and working just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump. Just wondering if the initial poster's m249 is still up and running.

I've been basing this review off of my interest in buying an M249, and I'm considering the G&P M249 Mk2.

I am also interested in:

The current round count to date.

The custom box magazine.

Additional pictures.

Any parts replaced since purchase.

Thank you.