The CA, Star, TOP, M249's new compitition!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price isn't bothering me. I'm looking for reliability, sacrificing a bit of realism. Sure the box mags don't feed like the real deal, but carrying 2 or 3 of them on my person, to reload all I've gotta do is pull the spent box, install the new box, drop in a new dummy belt, cycle the charging handle and I'm good to go.

If I'm working on a support gunner load out I'm going to do it right.

Also I've got more experience with G&P weaponry than I do Classic Army, although I've grown rather attached to my SCAR.

Last game I was at I borrowed a CA M249 Mk2 with the 100rd style cloth box mag and the auto feed. I did like that.

It's a tossup at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, used my G&P MK46 Mod O replica in a skirmish yesterday for the first time. Aside from a dying 9v. battery to drive the boxmag everything went really well. G&P includes a 9v battery to run the boxmag, but, I'll venture a guess that it is not a very high quality battery. I went back to the car to change the 9v and after a quick switch the gun ran strong without skipping or misfeeding when using a 8.4v 3000 Mah NiMh pack. The gun chronoed 384 FPS stock. Distance, range and rate of fire were all very satisfying. BBs spread into a nice pattern about 4 ft circular around 40 yards allowing me to easily suppress people hiding behind trees and later allowing me complete coverage of building windows. I was able to take out one person hiding behind a car, then cover the other so completely that they were only able to cower behind the rear tire until my teammate angled in from the right. People who thought they could race across a small path were made short work of because of the literal wall of BBs placed before them.

The rifle is heavy and sturdy but the side of the box mag popped off on me on one occasion, so I tore off a 9" strip of OD 100 MPH tape and secured the boxmag. Honestly, I should have thought of that before going out onto the field. The rifle is a very faithful reproduction of the MK46 Mod O, even down to it's faux teflon finish. (if you wish to see close-up pics of the real steel, please visit Military Morons and scroll through the VLTOR photo essay for good photos of the real deal.)

I know that some have misgivings about the V2 mechbox in a SAW application. While I would have prefered the PGC/CA type of mechbox in this particular rifle over the V2 mechbox it was simply not to be. While one can place a upper and lower RAS on the CA or A&K m249, that simply will not produce a true Mk46 Mod 0. My particular reasons for this particular replica was that it was simply the best replica of a MK46 with the correct upper/lower RAS, fluted barrel, lack of M16 magazine feed, no carry handle and special forces full stock. My rational was that if/when the V2 mechbox breaks V2 mechboxes are less expensive than PGC/CA SAW mechboxes and upgrade parts are much more plentiful for V2 mechboxes.

My only 2 minor gripes are the lack of a manual and lack of a working safety.

All in all, a very nice replica.

Edited by marimba
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Gents! A long awaited reply, been too busy here to be typing as of late, but I'll update you. My gun so far has seen about 10 more skirmishes from the last time I was on, but the heavy *badgeress* still remains my primary weapon. I've been trying to keep an estimate of how many rounds fired now, it's around 185,000 give or take a couple hundred. That being said, two parts in my gun have been replaced since my last post.

I sheered the shaft on the spur gear while stripping down the mechbox for cleaning and a check for wear and tear. That was my own fault. Emailed G+P and got the replacement part without a problem. Put the gun back together and fired about 100 rounds until I heard a "crack" inside the gearbox. Opened it up immediately. I found that the entire back half of the piston had cracked off. I dont know if I had tweaked something wrong while putting the gearbox back together, but regardless, the gun had fired around 165,000 BB's by that time. That's a lot of BB's! The stress from all of those rounds downrange could have caused a fracture. I bought the new piston, (factory G+P, the same one that was in there) and got the gun working again, with no further problems in the last 20,000 BB's shot.

Since we're past the initial question part of the review, I've seen I've had a few requests for pictures of the custom 100rd RS ammo box conversion. If anyone is interested, I am willing to assemble these for you, depending on the amount of requests I get for them and the availibility of RS pouches I can get. Price would also be dependent on that. An editorial for fieldstripping might be in order too, since I've seen some questions based on that.

I'll be working on this in the next few days, just to get back in the spirit of things. Keep an eye out, more to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Stubbs, any updates?

My G&P MK46 is on its way to me right now. I got a pretty sweet deal on it as my buddy picked it up for near wholesale prices for me (he's in HK and is a retailer/manufacturer).

I'm pretty stocked about it and looking forward to testing it out real soon. Quick question: has anyone considered buying one of those

ACM sound activated 249 mags and dropping the internal into their G&P Box Mag?

I've seen I've had a few requests for pictures of the custom 100rd RS ammo box conversion. If anyone is interested, I am willing to assemble these for you, depending on the amount of requests I get for them and the availibility of RS pouches I can get. Price would also be dependent on that.

I'd also be really interested in finding out more info about this. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any problems with dropping the ACM internals into the G+P, other than the fact that you'd have to do some messin' around with the wiring and feed tubes. Those ACM boxes look like they feed a Star or CA M249 series gun. I'll be writing the 100rd pouch conversion in a few days and posting it in the project sections. Sounds like more people are getting the MK46 version of this gun, which wouldn't be using the 200rd box, but the 100rd pouch anyway in the interest of making the RS weapon lighter weight. A warning first. You do lose the battery space using the 100rd box, and it gets hard to cram a battery in the gun unless you have a full stock. I'll let everyone know when I get the conversion posted and provide a link to it when I get it going.

• 5 weeks later...

sorry for the necro post, I just field tested it yesterday, this gun is totally awesome, I pretty much had the same experience as marimba, pinning down whole groups of guys behind cover

Only problems other than lack of safety (temporarily fixed with an internal switch) is that the box mag is kinda big, and a little awkward to get your arm around, unless you have a vertical grip installed on the front end. The box mag seats a little too well when clipped on so I had to use a heck of a lot of force to get it loose, or maybe it's just my weakness showing through.

Ranger Stubbs hows that box mag conversion going for you?

• 3 weeks later...

anyone got a update on the gun? I want to pick one up when I'm in HK next month, but it's impossible to find info/reviews for this gun. For those long term users, how's yours holding up?

Also, how is the aftermkt support? I learned a hard lesson w VFC mk43. While it's bad-*albatross*, it's hard to find replacement unless going thru VFC direct due to proprietary parts, which sometimes would take month. can I find everything for G&P without going thru the manufacture? Is everything internal replacable w regular V2 parts? (VFC uses a diff length nozzle, which is impossible to find).

• 1 month later...

I dunno, haven't tried yet, but we'll see...

I lost two of the RAS pins for the upper RAS, so I'm going to contact them to see what they can do...

-------------------------------

G&P just released a autowinder box mag, anyone want to pick one of those up and do a review? If it doesn't need to be connected to the gun itself to wind I'm stoked...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Necropost! Sorry but does anyone know if this gun takes the MAG nutsack/clothmag? Also any US dealers?

There are none made for the G&P specifically but it's easy to modify a MAG nutsack boxmag to work. You have to cut a hole for the brass circle thing at the top, then you just push the feeding tube in the box mag into the brass ring instead of outside to where it would go to for an A&K/CA M249 and it will work. They fit very loosely though, but it's an easy fix. SOrry for the necro-ish answer.

And also, out of the TOP, STAR, G&P, and several A&K M249's I've owned, the G&P was the best by far.

Edited by league 4
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...