8mm silencer?

Five-sEvEn

Hey all. I'm going to be buying an upgraded Detonics soon (320 with .45). and I was wondering if there were any 8mm silencers out there? I'm aware there's no threaded barrel for the detonics, making this a challenging project, but I figure, if I can silence this gun, it'll be an awesome compact pain gun lol.

What I'm looking for are people who've built their own sound reducing silencers out of PVC or whatever. I know one of the local guys down here has instructions on how to turn a maglite into a silencer, but that's pretty big considering what I want to do.

Checking out redwolf's website, apparently CL created an 8mm silencer for one of their special revolvers, and I was wondering if I can do the same thing for the detonics.

As of now I'm not too worried about how I'm going to attach it, just worrying about homemade silencers, and how to effectively build one.

Can anyone help me?

I made a silencer for my MP7.

It's a length of plastic tube (I think it's from a printer paper roll, the tube the paper's wound onto) I machined the end pieces, on my lathe, from alloy rod.

The rear end has 2 o-rings fitted internally and is a snug push-fit on the flash hider.

Fitting one to a GBB that hasn't got a thread will be trickier obviously.

I've been looking at making one to fit my WE Hi-Capa and I reckon you could make a push-fit tube to go inside the outer barrel.

Can you post a close up pic of the end of your barrel?

MP7_1.jpg

I also made one for my M11, it doesn't silence like the MP7 one, it just covers the extended barrel (and houses a laser module)

LaserSilencer6.jpg

LaserSilencer5.jpg

Horay! Thanks for the advice.

Too bad I don't have easy access to any machining tools here... I MIGHT be able to use the ones at my friends working place, but I might be SOL on that department. I was wondering how easy it is to construct one without heavy machinery such as lathes, mills, and the like.

I just bought the detonics from my friend and will pick it up on Friday. Hopefully I'll get some pics up then. But basically, the Detonics front end is like a normal 1911 without the ability to move the slide back. I "think" there's enouhg room to build someonthing that will fit into the outer barrel and just outside of the inner barrel... but 8mm makes things more difficult...

We shall see!

Since the detonics has a plastic slide and barrel, you might want to use PVC for the silencer so that:

1, you don't really need extensive tools, just a hack saw with fine teeth, PVC glue and a pencil.

2, you can stick the silencer directly to the barrel with PVC glue. But this will be a permanent fix.

To make the flat parts of the silencer (front and back) out of PVC, simply cut out a segment of tube, cut one side length wise, heat over a stove and flatten with two planks of wood/plyboard.

Since the detonics has a plastic slide and barrel

Mine doesnt :D

Well, it's got a metal barrel at least. I picked it up (yesterday?) today and found out it's the heavy weight version that no one seems to have in stock.

When you cock the gun, the inner barrel goes ALL the way back... but my goal is still to build the attachment around the inner barrel, and in the outer barrel.

This thing is REALLY QUIET shooting DA, but in SA, it sounds like a freaking cap gun!(remember, mine isn't stock). I really want to silence the SA.

But yeah... not looking like a whole lot of things I can do with the silencer as far as attaching goes, but we'll see. Hopefully this will turn out to be a viable project.

Thanks for all the input so far guys! keep it comming!

Metal outer barrel? Thats got to be good.

How much movement does the inner barrel show (relative to the outer barrel) when firing SA ? Almost all GBBs do this too, but only by about 5mm. Is putting a threaded adapter (the one that attaches to the inner barrel, it being replaced with a longer one) possible?

After failing my Math final, and not feeling too well. Instead of being emo and killing myself, I proceeed to rummage the nearest recycle bin and construct myself, a silencer

Viola! It is 70% done and sounds as quiet as the G-SPEC on single action, and like nothing on double action!!!!

I just need to route a metal pipe through it all with holes driled into it, which I REALLY don't want to do, and it shold be great!

BTW I attached it by taking the side of a soda can and jamming it between my outer barrel and the slide lol. As Borat would say "Nice~"

I'll take pictures when I get back this weekend!

Question:

How do you affix a custom silencer temporarily?

Right now I have it so I slip my coke bottle piece of metal between the slide and the barrel (that kind of finally broke) and that has a bottle cap glued to it and then i screw the bottle silencer on.

Problem is, it's not super secure, and I'm going to have to make another one soon.

Also, what do you use for an inner silencer tube? Right now, mine is tubeless and I'm using tissue as a silencing material, so everytime it shoots, the tissue get's pushed into the BBs path from gas pressure. So yeah, I think it's time for me to get some type of pipe and drill holes on it... But I'm wondering how effective that is compared to just letting it all hang, and not putting any pipe... Is there a decrease in silencing?

omg, you guys HAVE to see my silencer... It's probably the most ghetto airsoft creation you will ever see in your life, but it's effective and that's all it needs to be.

It's made out of a water bottle, soda can, wads upon wads of tissue, electrical tape, epoxy and cardboard... BUT IT WORKS!? any believers?

Pictures, then MAYBE we will belive you.

THANK YOU! I was waiting for someone to call me on it so I would have motivation to dig out my tiny shoddy camera and take pics.

Although abeit too late, I'm returning back from the dorms later today, so I'll be able to post a video of it up when I get back. But for now you get pictures!!!

4gexlhc.jpg

Entire unit on a messy pull out desk thing.

All parts found in my recycling bin downstairs. Made from menehune water bottle, some wierd company's bottle cap (prolly a nestea green tea or something), adrenaline soda can's side, and klenexx from my room lol.

2rcoqa1.jpg

The cap that interfaces with the gun. I hold the silencer to the gun, but the outer barrel has a snug fit against the cap. I carved out a little thing on the bottom with my knife because the recoil spring bushing/screw/fake thingy got in the way of the bottom of the cap. now there's a "top" side to my silencer lol.

29bbs0l.jpg

The business end of the thing. You can see the packed klenexx at the end. In the beginning of the silencer, it's not nearly as packed. The bad thing about this open type of design (soon to be remedied by a PVC pipe) is that when I shoot in SA, it expells so much gas, the klenexx doesn't stay in it's nice form. In DA, there isn't as much gas so it stays nice for the most part.

44byw7b.jpg

Unit attached to the gun. I have to hold the unit physically, but it's a secure snug fit, with no play from side to side. It's not the tightest fit in the world, but it's enough to let me take this picture without having to hold it together.

So yeah.... comments?

I plan to build some sort of RIS, so I can use the detonics with the silencer one handed, and rape it with flashlights and lasers and maybe an reflex or two :P

At the very least, something to hold it on without me :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been informed that Five-sEvEn here got a PM from Gir after being -1 retaliatory repped stating that anything that can muffle sound even one decible is illegal. Guess all car mufflers in the United States are illegal then, seeing as it muffles the sound of your car's engine dramatically. Thanks Gir, I never knew that. Now I know that I need to remove the muffler from my car so that I don't get a ticket, or worse, not be able to renew my safety check and registration.

I've just been informed that Five-sEvEn here got a PM from Gir after being -1 retaliatory repped stating that anything that can muffle sound even one decible is illegal.  Guess all car mufflers in the United States are illegal then, seeing as it muffles the sound of your car's engine dramatically.  Thanks Gir, I never knew that.  Now I know that I need to remove the muffler from my car so that I don't get a ticket, or worse, not be able to renew my safety check and registration.

Cite the resource i showed. Says silencers are illegal.

I am assuming you live in the USA. The BATFE only defines a silencer as any device or parts intended to reduce the report of a firearm. It does not give any performance criteria.

Anything attached to the muzzle that does not vent gases to the sides such as a compensator, brake, or a flash suppressor will lower the noise level of a firearm. Even if the noise level is lowered by only 1/2 (3 decibels), it will be a silencer in the eyes of the BATFE.

Of the 36 states, HAWAII is EXCLUDED.

http://www.vectorarms.com/other/law.htm

See that link saying silencers cannot be owned by civilans.

So if that thing, when strapped to a real steel weapon, reduces the gun such as 3 decibles, youd have problems.

Edit: Well, car mufflers are intended for cars. Gun silencers are meant for guns.

Lastly what is it called when you give someone a posotive reputative point for someone elses negative? Being a general sorry/cry baby? Because the person didnt get the point? ;)

So if that thing, when strapped to a real steel weapon, reduces the gun such as 3 decibles, youd have problems.

Edit: Well, car mufflers are intended for cars. Gun silencers are meant for guns.

Lastly what is it called when you give someone a posotive reputative point for someone elses negative? Being a general sorry/cry baby? Because the person didnt get the point?  ;)

And a bottle is meant for drinking liquid from, is it not? Wouldn't that mean, if we strapped car mufflers to guns we'd have a problem?

When someone pos reps for a neg rep, they feel that the neg rep was unecessary, or had a stupid point that deserved to be countered.

Gir just gave the neg rep as payback for when Five-sEvEn gave Gir a neg rep on the 18th of December. Check out Gir's reputation log. Gir's just been waiting for a chance to get back at Five-sEvEn.

And Gir, why does it matter if he was doing something illegal? Why is it any of your business? Do you think that you are some sort of internet police officer? Just let him be...

Gir just gave the neg rep as payback for when Five-sEvEn gave Gir a neg rep on the 18th of December. Check out Gir's reputation log. Gir's just been waiting for a chance to get back at Five-sEvEn.

And Gir, why does it matter if he was doing something illegal? Why is it any of your business? Do you think that you are some sort of internet police officer? Just let him be...

No, just looking out for others. So i'll bud out now, just stated thefacts...

a word of waring... unless your device is "aproved" by the BATFE as a non supressor...it is one...

people in the US are going to jail for airgun supressors

even if it drops the DB by one, even if it is distryoyed in the first shot, it is still against the law.

there is ONE airgun supressor that has been aproved, its welded to the barrel and teh barrel is welded to the frame. if you cut it off its "making" a supressor and breaking the law :blink::blink::blink:

screwed up but true

http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revrule/ru...uling2005-4.pdf

from the BATFE

"Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers."

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m30

"And a bottle is meant for drinking liquid from, is it not? Wouldn't that mean, if we strapped car mufflers to guns we'd have a problem? "

well what it means is if you have the itstrutions saying that you can tape a pop bottle to a gun and it will work, a bottle, and duct tape in the same place...yep your in trouble..

"United States vs. Alpha McQuinn" had a conviction for use of a potato on the end of a pistol barrel

heres the latest news

"A warrant allowed Postal Inspectors to search the package and they found a "sound moderator" in a pocket of the case for this airgun. There were no aggravating circumstances and no evidence that violence of any kind was intended or involved. This device had been specifically built for use on a Sam Yang air rifle and was specially built with fabric insides so that it would be destroyed by use on a firearm. The manufacturer wrote that "It was made for AIR only. It cannot handle the flash of a firearm." However, the ATF laboratory tested it on a Ruger .22 firearm - and it evidently did reduce the sound for one shot - thus meeting the definition of a firearm silencer."

of note the device was shipped with said airgun

the out come??

" Michael A. Crooker was found guilty on Wednesday, July 15, 2006 of illegally manufacturing a silencer. He faces a mandatory sentence of 15 years."

nuff said unless you take the steps (same ones for a RS fullauto) its a big :waggle: in the USA

Trippy... I guess it could be illegal. But no one would ever know unless they shot it through a RS firearm and destroyed it, at that point, it wouldn't be effective, and therefore non illegal? Does that mean if you build a disposable RS silencer, you should use it right after you build it, so it's only illegal for the moment before it's not being used?

Ahh the law is so stupid! I guess I could get caught and convicted if I took a motorcycle muffler and tossed it in a gun bag filled with RS... Or maybe even a sack of potatoes...

I cant believe he got convicted with a potato... someone gimme a link. Acutally.. Gimme a link from a credible news site, and I'll +1 the first guy. Else, I don't think anyone is going to believe it.

Man, if those links werent from ATF I would've never believed it. You get a +1 for clearing it up lol.

In any case, I'm happy with my illegal silencer, and I'm sure everyone else with a paintbally/airgun/airsoft silencer is as well, although abeit more ignorant of the laws than people who read this thread.

I'm actually curious to see if it'll reduce the sound lol. but I don't want to destroy it... Isn't there something in court trials that has to do with destroying personal property, even for testing things though?

In any case go here to view videos and sound clips!

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=91039

a word of waring... unless your device is "aproved" by the BATFE as a non supressor...it is one...

people in the US are going to jail for airgun supressors

even if it drops the DB by one, even if it is distryoyed in the first shot, it is still against the law.

there is ONE airgun supressor that has been aproved, its welded to the barrel and teh barrel is welded to the frame. if you cut it off its "making" a supressor and breaking the law :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

screwed up but true

Guess all car mufflers in the United States are illegal then, seeing as it muffles the sound of your car's engine dramatically. Thanks Gir, I never knew that. Now I know that I need to remove the muffler from my car so that I don't get a ticket, or worse, not be able to renew my safety check and registration.

viper... i am not sure what you are geting @..

any way

NO a car muffler won't work, peoplewho are saying such things have no idea how one funtions.. the pipes don't even line up inside

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

however YES the BATFE has found "industrial mufflers" to be supressors in certian cases

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/...us_v_davis2.txt

(go to page 3) http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:MYyFlJ...s&ct=clnk&cd=25

If you put your car muffler on your gun and it silences it, you better believe you'll get in over head in trouble.

Viper, your a real close minded person who thinks his answer is always right. Get your facts strait, instead of "Well if i use *Insert and ubserd "Viper" like utencil* is that illegal?" Yes Viper, as said here MANY TIMES, it is illegal if it silences 1 decible.

If you want to be an *beep* while i try to inform you, be my guest... ;)

Viper, your gigs up. The facts compile and say your wrong, stop saying "Im rite, ur rong" ######. Its pathetic...

Trippy... I guess it could be illegal. But no one would ever know unless they shot it through a RS firearm and destroyed it, at that point, it wouldn't be effective, and therefore non illegal? Does that mean if you build a disposable RS silencer, you should use it right after you build it, so it's only illegal for the moment before it's not being used?

Yeah it is trippy, but its the law. If it silences the gun, but destroys the silencer, that wont make a difference. The goverment is very protective, because silencers are smooth killers. You see someone get shot, yet hear no sound, see no muzzle flash, and cant see where it came from.

Five-Seven, i am not saying your project is lame, it is a neat idea. But just be carefull about making them. Intent is a big thing. If you intend/make to use on a real weapon, yes, you can be in BIG trouble.

Glad you are startin to see my "BS" is possibly true.

viper... i am not sure what you are geting @..

any way

NO a car muffler won't work, peoplewho are saying such things have no idea how one funtions.. the pipes don't even line up inside

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

however YES the BATFE has found "industrial mufflers" to be supressors in certian cases

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/...us_v_davis2.txt

(go to page 3) http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:MYyFlJ...s&ct=clnk&cd=25

Sounds like YOU have no idea how one functions. That's only one type of muffler in that video, and there are MANY others with a straight through design.

And that's pretty bad if they've found some industrial mufflers to be supressors... But why is your link a private webpage?

If you put your car muffler on your gun and it silences it, you better believe you'll get in over head in trouble.

Viper, your a real close minded person who thinks his answer is always right. Get your facts strait, instead of "Well if i use *Insert and ubserd "Viper" like utencil* is that illegal?" Yes Viper, as said here MANY TIMES, it is illegal if it silences 1 decible.

If you want to be an *beep* while i try to inform you, be my guest... ;)

Viper, your gigs up. The facts compile and say your wrong, stop saying "Im rite, ur rong" ######. Its pathetic...

Yeah it is trippy, but its the law. If it silences the gun, but destroys the silencer, that wont make a difference. The goverment is very protective, because silencers are smooth killers. You see someone get shot, yet hear no sound, see no muzzle flash, and cant see where it came from.

Five-Seven, i am not saying your project is lame, it is a neat idea. But just be carefull about making them. Intent is a big thing. If you intend/make to use on a real weapon, yes, you can be in BIG trouble.

Glad you are startin to see my "BS" is possibly true.

If someone can show me how to affix it to a real gun I'd be really impressed. As of now it doesn't even go on my airsoft gun!!!

From reading all of those links above, I don't think intent has jack diddly squat to do with it. If people get arrested for "paintball/airgun" silencer, that are "intended" for use with those guns, and the courts pull a BS "trafficking intent", then it doesn't seem like intent has any concrete value.

If the goverment wants to come after me for putting together a few things from the recyling bin, thats they're problem, and I'm prepared to fight against it till the end. As my "intent" is to only use it with my airsoft gun, I'll have no guilt for any punishment regarding my "illegal silencer".

Archived