How much slower can this site get?!?!

How annoying is this lack of speed to you?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How annoying is this lack of speed to you?

• Barely noticed it
    • A tad annoying
    • Very frustrating
    • I'm peaved, I have better things to do
    • This FRIGGIN sucks! Fix it!
    • RWAAAAAARRRR!!!!.......................I think I just had a stroke

I'm sorry this is just getting too annoying as of late. I use to like to jump on here, check the new posts, and get on with my life. But now it litterally takes 5 minutes and a small miracle to even get a page to load. I have very high speed DSL and this ###### reminds me of my 14.4 modem days. I realize this is a free service, but WE pay the retailers that advertise on here, and they pay Arnie? So in a way we do pay for this site.

All in all, this is more of a rant than a legitamate poll. But I just had to vent. I really hope this is fixed, soon! I like this site, but I'm not gonna spend 15 minutes of my day waiting for a page to load, only to find that the new post is just a smiley or something pointless.

If it would help, get rid of onsite picture hosting, delete all the off-topic forums (this is an airsoft site after all) and do away with the e-mail notifications. Hell, I'd even tolerate more intrusive advertising, if it meant better server perfomance. Anything that'll help.

There was alot more I wanted to say, but it escapes me at the moment. :ranting2:

Site speed has actually been a lot better of late, plus I am aware that the speed isn't great, however we are doing our best at the moment.

As you mentioned it is a free service that's granted, however you don't pay for it and donations or contributions from retailers only barely cover the running costs. ;)

I am looking to move us to a new dedicated box that is much bigger to cater for our load and userbase, but that is going to take a bit to organise and will most likely happena fter Chrimbo as I won't have any free time till then to cover the shift.

This sort of thread makes me wonder why Arnie bothers hosting the site, and why we bother trying to keep everything ticking over.

You seem to forget that this site is run and maintained for free, and talk as though the server has some obligation to be perfect. Well, if you were a paying subscriber to a an online community that would be entirely reasonable.

However, the last time I checked this was a free to use forum, and the person starting this thread to complain about the server responsiveness has not made any donations to the server upkeep.

On this basis I can't quite see why exactly the thread originator feels he has any basis upon which to complain about the server speed being down. Arnie has posted two threads on the issue showing is attempting to resolve the issue, and if that is not sufficient then I am not sure what will be.

At the end of the day if you are not willing to financially support the server through donations (which are always gratefully received but never expected of any user), then I feel you have no right upon which to criticise the stability of that server. This goes to any other user wishing to post such pointless threads. Rest assured if I spot any more whining of this sort by non-contributors I'll be closing them as quickly as I notice them.

Thanks. :)

I realize this is a free service, but WE pay the retailers that advertise on here, and they pay Arnie? So in a way we do pay for this site.

I wasn't trying to ruffle anyones feathers here. Just expressing my feelings.

I wasn't trying to ruffle anyones feathers here. Just expressing my feelings.

It's a service you do not pay for, or indeed contribute to in any real fashion. Your logic is flawed because no-one is making you buy from the retailers.

We do our best to keep the site ticking over, and frankly, s Marlowe says, threads like really do mke us wonder why we bother, considering if we didn't, you wouldn't have a site to look at in the first place... :rolleyes:

It's a service you do not pay for, or indeed contribute to in any real fashion. Your logic is flawed because no-one is making you buy from the retailers.

We do our best to keep the site ticking over, and frankly, s Marlowe says, threads like really do mke us wonder why we bother, considering if we didn't, you wouldn't have a site to look at in the first place... :rolleyes:

Jesus its ASCUK all over again!

We are fortunate to have a free resource here, and while "you get what you pay for" might not be quite right, come on people!

Be greatfull for what you got instead of bitching about speed or down time! I couldnt get on the toys r us site yesterday cos it was runnin slow. I didnt *badgeress* about it, I just came back in an hour and ordered stuff then instead.

Sam

Jesus its ASCUK all over again!

Oh god I hope not. ;)

Having looked over the previous post it was written when I was very tired. It may have come across as a little harsher than it should.

The original posters tone was agressive and demanding. Forgive us if that come across as a little ungrateful and is taken ever so slightly personally.

We are fortunate to have a free resource here, and while "you get what you pay for" might not be quite right, come on people!

Be greatfull for what you got instead of bitching about speed or down time! I couldnt get on the toys r us site yesterday cos it was runnin slow. I didnt *badgeress* about it, I just came back in an hour and ordered stuff then instead.

Sam

Thankyou, that's exactly right.

Arnies is the BIGGEST english speaking forum for the sport on the web. We do our utmost to keep it free because we want it to be availiable to as many people as possible.

However, everything costs. If it's a tradeoff between it having slow periods and charging every member a fee, I know what I think poeple would rather have.

One of the major issues we've found is people using tabbed browsing - what people don't realise is that every tab is a connection to the server, so if you've got 15 threads open at once you're taking up 14 slots that could be better utilised.

About the tabbed browsing, the site does seem to run ALOT better on Firefox. IE is pretty bad.

I just wanna state, that I wasn't trying to provoke anything here. Just stating an opinion. Like I said above, I like this site, very much actually. I'd like to see it around for a long, long time.

About the tabbed browsing, the site does seem to run ALOT better on Firefox. IE is pretty bad.

I just wanna state, that I wasn't trying to provoke anything here. Just stating an opinion. Like I said above, I like this site, very much actually. I'd like to see it around for a long, long time.

As above, you came across as agressive, demanding, and to be brutally honest rather rude.

Saying you are 'just stating an opinion' does not change the fact that that opinion is offensive to others. We appreciate that yes, it IS frustrating when the site has it's slow periods and we do our best to minimise them, however the manner in which you voiced your dissent was not particuarly well thought through.

In essence, it is like going up to the lady handing out free cans of coke and complaining that she is not giving you a 2 litre bottle.

No offense was taken here. ;)

It's a free site it's here because it is wanted and any possible negative comments tend to just get ignored by me anyway, I learnt a long time ago to ignore things and not take stuff to heart. :)

I'm just more interested to hear how the site speed is for people since the mail changeover to help speed things up.

Just wanted to point out that, although a lot of people don't make financial contributions to the site, surely taking the time and effort to post useful, constructive advice counts as a "contribution"?

Surely it's fair to acknowledge the frustration of somebody who, maybe, spends half an hour typing out a post, adding links, taking pictures, hosting them and inserting them in a post so they can help somebody only to have that post lost because of a server error?

I'd hate for this place to degenerate into a forum full of single sentence posts simple because the majority of users didn't think it was worthwhile posting anything deeper for fear of wasting their time.

On topic, I really haven't noticed the site running slowly when it's running.

I have, however, noticed total disappearances almost every evening at around midnight as well as random MySQL errors.

Are you sure the cleaning lady isn't unplugging the server so she can plug in her hoover? ;)

Oh, maybe worth a mention too...

I've noticed a couple of threads vanish over the last few days. Nothing controversial AFAIK. One was to do with the FAMAS hop-up and the other was asking why airsoft stuff was expensive compared to prop weapons.

Deleted cos people posted inappropriate stuff after I saw them or just vanished?

Edited by Stealthbomber

since you wanted feedback, im experiencing great amounts of slowdown during peak hours.. (id assume around 9 o clock = peak time)

takes about 15 seconds to load a page with my 4mb connection.

It only gets on my nerves because I spend most of my internet time on this forum, tbh I think its a sincere form of flattery that people get so rhiled up by not having access to this site, it's the basis for an entire community.

cheers.