How much slower can this site get?!?!

How annoying is this lack of speed to you?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How annoying is this lack of speed to you?

• Barely noticed it
    • A tad annoying
    • Very frustrating
    • I'm peaved, I have better things to do
    • This FRIGGIN sucks! Fix it!
    • RWAAAAAARRRR!!!!.......................I think I just had a stroke

I use DSL, and the forum tends to take a while to load. I can't imagine what it is like with dial-up...

Also, like the others have said, the site tends to disappear pretty often. I'll be able to access the index sometimes, but none of the sub-forums or threads work. I get an error with code in a box.

you're moaning about a free service

other people have donated because they genuinely feel it's a nice site to donate to help arn in some ways. big amounts go to server, small amounts probably to his coffee funds to keep him up 3nights in a row doing this.

but please dont moan about a free service. remember arnie doesnt HAVE to give you an account at all let alone have such a nice site up.

edit: i quote the guys from before to emphasise my point. true it does go slow and this issue has been raised with the mods and arn.

It's a free site it's here because it is wanted and any possible negative comments tend to just get ignored by me anyway, I learnt a long time ago to ignore things and not take stuff to heart. :)

Just wanted to point out that, although a lot of people don't make financial contributions to the site, surely taking the time and effort to post useful, constructive advice counts as a "contribution"?

Surely it's fair to acknowledge the frustration of somebody who, maybe, spends half an hour typing out a post, adding links, taking pictures, hosting them and inserting them in a post so they can help somebody only to have that post lost because of a server error?

Edited by urban-ninja

I do agree that it seems to be related to the high traffic we have in the evenings (standard GMT). I assume this is down to the large quantity of late night UK members and US members just getting back from work / college / etc.

Solution: ban America! :D

Seriously though, as Arnie said a few weeks back everyone can help by not having multiple instances of the site open in Firefox. Having a lot of people doing that (I've done it in the past myself, I admit) at once makes the server cry. :)

I'm not even going to bother quoting people here...

How's an internationally recognised forum that is used constantly/accessed from all time zones meant to run smooth and fast every second of its existance? Apart from being free to use...

This community has been around since the start of the decade, and some would argue that it's more like a whole decade :P

er... if anyone thinks they can make it better in any way, please feel free to try, suggest, donate, volunteer... but don't assume that we have a customer service section

WHINGE!!!1

Solution: ban America! :D

I agree, we need our own forum.

Sadly, all we have to choose from is the ASR n00b hole and ASF, where people tear each other apart over petty things..

Oh how I long for an American equilivent of Arnies that isn't covered up in power hungry mods and dumb n00bs like ASR is..

I can dream can't I?

Solution: ban America!

This is true! As an American though I think that Arnies is good, because were getting more than one view. We help out you Chaps across the pond, and you help us. Its great! We help eachother with our own countries loadout, and gear, as well as just normal knowledge.

MY solution:

Get the Yanks over here to chip in for a Arnies USA forum, hosted in the US, OR do away with the large picture albums (as bad as it is) that may help speed it up.

-RR

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, we need our own forum.

Sadly, all we have to choose from is the ASR n00b hole and ASF, where people tear each other apart over petty things..

Oh how I long for an American equilivent of Arnies that isn't covered up in power hungry mods and dumb n00bs like ASR is..

I can dream can't I?

While ASR was my first Airsoft forum I joined, I have to agree with you. Half the members there contribute nothing to the threads, and with all the picking fights I've seen lately, you'd think everyone was on their period. I can't complain about the mods for the most part, they keep the forum relativey clean, rather than a hell hole like airsoft force or airsoft forum. Maybe that is why I visit ASR less, and am starting to browse here a bit more.

At any rate, thanks for a great forum Arnie. It's a good place to get answers, while not getting flamed for asking a question. It's a bit late to add this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to say :)

Edited by Sergeant Bilko