Blades and knives (UK)

There seems to be some confusion over UK law in relation to blades and knives.

As we've always stated on the forums we basically prohibit the sale of anything non-airsoft which has an age restriction placed upon it by law.

Under current UK law people aged under 16 can't be sold any knife, knife blade, razor blade, any axe, any other article which has a blade or which is pointed, or anything which is made or adapted for use for causing injury to people. There is however one exception to this. Knives, where the blade folds into the handle (like a Swiss Army Knife) aren't illegal so long as the blade is shorter than 3 inches (7.62cm) and does not lock.

In relation to UK sales of blades and knives the ONLY types that can be sold on here are:

• multitools, so long as the blade is of the non-locking folding type and under 3 inches (7.62cm) in length.
  • penknives, so long as the blade is of the non-locking folding type and under 3 inches (7.62cm) in length.
If the blade has a lock on it so that it locks out and needs a button or lever to be depressed to release it before folding, this is considered a fixed blade and prohibited from sale.

You cannot carry any folding lock knife or a knife longer than 3 inches on your person in the UK without lawful reason. Personally I'd recommend NOT to carry ANY bladed or sharply pointed object on your person in the UK.

Previously we stated 2.5 inches in the forum rules, this has been updated to state 3 inches.

Pictures of things are fine. This thread refers to the trading of them, specifically for UK sales.

For US sales of knives in the US section adverts must follow US law regarding their advertising and sale. I'm afraid I don't know the laws for the USA off the top of my head.

I'm not aware of any legislation that prohibits online sales of air weapons.. yet (at least none immediately springs to mind).

Reference blank firers, I'm not aware of any specific age limit imposed on them by law (off the top of my head), however it is sound advice not to trade them with a minor anyway. That said the blank ammunitition should probably be considered pyrotechnic in nature and not for sale to under 18s.

What about non folding knives?  Such as hunting knives or machetes?  What if, for some reason, an airsofter wanted to buy one of those hedge trimmer shears?  Or would any resident of the UK already know all of this?

Under current UK law people aged under 16 can't be sold any knife, knife blade, razor blade, any axe, any other article which has a blade or which is pointed, or anything which is made or adapted for use for causing injury to people. There is however one exception to this. Knives, where the blade folds into the handle (like a Swiss Army Knife) aren't illegal so long as the blade is shorter than 3 inches (7.62cm) and does not lock.

In relation to blades and knives the ONLY types that can be sold on here are:

* multitools, so long as the blade is of the non-locking folding type and under 3 inches (7.62cm) in length.

* penknives, so long as the blade is of the non-locking folding type and under 3 inches (7.62cm) in length.

This thread is not for the discusson of the various legislation and case regarding blades, merely to clarify exactly what can and cannot be traded using our classified section.

As GR said, this isn't for discussing the legislation, but as per what I iterated initially at the top. There are basically two types of knife that can be sold on here that we'll permit for UK sales. Hunting knives, combat knives etc are prohibited from sale. We're just not comfortable that they would be sold to people that they should.

I'll draw up some general regs for US sales based on federal regulations, but US state and city/county laws will simply have to be observed by users on a case by case basis. The variation in US legislation is simply too wide to cater for.

Can I just clarify...

Does a Leatherman have to have a blade under 3" AND be non-locking to be legal for sale?

Or, is it OK to sell a leatherman with a locking blade so long as the blade is less than 3" long?

The way I'm reading it, the blade must be under 3" AND it cannot be locking.

You couldn't even, for example, sell a mini-leatherman with a 1.5" blade if the blade locks, right?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick but I just wanted to clarify. :)

In relation to UK sales of blades and knives the ONLY types that can be sold on here are [...] multitools, so long as the blade is of the non-locking folding type and under 3 inches (7.62cm) in length.

Ergo:

- a multitool without a blade isn't a knife...

- any locking blade item is prohibited from sale.

Essentially what you said at the end was correct:

"The blade must be under 3" AND it cannot be locking."

• 3 months later...

Hahahahah you guys cant carry a knife for self defense wow thats sad.

you guys cant vote out tony blair and the parliament.

The UK does not have a constitution like America and you have no right to self defense even in your own home especially not in public.

You guys in the UK brought it upon yourselves either fight with fists and pointy sticks,ignore the laws,or move to USA.

your second point is wrong.. thats what the election is for, think before opening your mouth ;) and umm, go away, america isnt exactly perfect is it, infact far from it, infact maybe one of the most hated countries in the world, so umm, yeah dont post again, please... ;)

Its hated country because the other nations have retarded gun control,knife laws,and are against self-defense.They are all jealous of America because of its freedom and powerfull Navy and Army.

You guys in UK need to quit being so mean to USA we kicked your @**es in American revolution and saved your behinds in world war 1 and 2 so be respectfull to USA or we wont help you again.

oh, sorry Mr. President..

Didnt realise that being rude to America on ArniesAirsoft forums would constitute as a insult that would be taken seriously by your government (lol if is..)

jeez, i'd better be careful what i say or else America won't help us out again in wars..

Its hated country because the other nations have retarded gun control,knife laws,and are against self-defense.
No, it's hated (if it is) because of people like you.

They are all jealous of America because of its freedom and powerfull Navy and Army.
Is "powerfull" anything like "powerful"?

You guys in UK need to quit being so mean to USA we kicked your @**es in American revolution
Yes, we'd certainly better hope you don't repeat your single lone military victory in your nation's history.

and saved your behinds in world war 1
Not quite sure how turning up five minutes before the end gives you so much to crow about.

and 2 so be respectfull to USA or we wont help you again.
Funny, you don't sound Russian.

:zorro:

"You guys in UK need to quit being so mean to USA we kicked your @**es in American revolution"

"Yes, we'd certainly better hope you don't repeat your single lone military victory in your nation's history."

While humorous, that's not really accurate now is it- :mellow:

I understand that occasionally the best way to combat sensational, polarizing viewpoints is to be equally sensational- but there is a point at which the sarcasim and irony is lost on the audience.

...this may be one of those times :rolleyes:

This entire 'genre' of politics + Airsoft + Arnies is really wearing thin from all sides dontcha think?

Slainte!

-G

Sounds like this 'freedom fighter usa' chap is 'Pro-gun' under a different username... Both equally chump-ish in their posting.

While humorous, that's not really accurate now is it-  :mellow:

Let's face it dude, it's not miles off... ;)

On a more serious note, in the same way as I'm proud to be Scottish / British, Americans (or even Irish Americans, Guinness :) ) are obviously equally proud to be American (Irish American). Arguing over whose country is 'better' is like arguing over Armalites and AKs...

As for America being 'hated'; I don't hate countries, that's like hating firearms or the proverbial 'global warming'. What I do have a dislike for are specific people in said countries, and even more specifically their intolerant behaviour and ignorance of other cultures.

[ultrasupermegacliche]

Can't we all just get along?

[/ultrasupermegacliche]

;)

Its hated country because the other nations have retarded gun control,knife laws,and are against self-defense.They are all jealous of America because of its freedom and powerfull Navy and Army.

You guys in UK need to quit being so mean to USA we kicked your @**es in American revolution and saved your behinds in world war 1 and 2 so be respectfull to USA or we wont help you again.

Like sledge said. you showed up 2 months before the end of the first world war. real useful, there. and the second world war you didn't do much better. Admittedly, you did help, but you didn't "save our asses" in those wars. i mean come on, the UK doesnt even have that many donkeys, and they were most likely all on the farms. ;)

Again, its not like the USA 'help' in wars. Hey, remember that time in Iraq when two of your pilots shot at a BRITISH convoy? or the time your anti air missles shot down one of our planes?

And hey, remember that time in Vietnam when you were beaten by some farmers with chinese guns? And that time in Somalia when you got completely thrashed by... thats right, farmers with guns again!

and to make this relevant to the topic, now.

we CAN carry knives, so long as they're sub (that means under, or less than) 3" (three inches) and dont lock. And you really dont know that much about the UK firearm laws, do you? It's perfectly acceptable for us to own that shotgun, along with various other guns. In devon you can own a .50 M82 no probs. My history teacher has a Lee-Enfield SMLE which works beautifully. Get your facts straight before making an arguement :P

Pointless confrontational nonsense. Need I say more?

'freedom fighter': Your general abusiveness, antagonistic posting and sheer inability to show even the vaguest awareness of basic grammatical conventions has lead me to conclude that you have not in your time here made a single productive comment. Rather you appear to be here purely to antagonise and stir up resentment - something which runs contrary to this forum's ethos and its rules. As a result I have suspended you indefinitely from contributing to this site.

Should you feel you can offer something and reform your ways, feel free to get in touch and we'll have a chat to review the situation.

And the rest of you guys...You should know better. Please don't feed the trolls. Just report such posts and let the moderators deal with it, okay? :)