The SOCOM showed up today. According to USPS the gun is still in customs, glad to see they are on top of things. Shipped from Redwolf Wednesday for 418.00 US. I know the gun can be had in the US for cheaper if you look around. Poweredge USA has them for 323.00.

DSC01304.jpg

The box and the packing the gun came in is very nice. It's black with cool reflective lettering. They get an A+ right off the bat for packaging.

DSC01305.jpg

The gun came with a plastic flash suppressor glued on. It's threaded just like any standard AEG. The original was packed in the accessory box.

DSC01306.jpg

The Micro ported muzzle brake adds a very cool touch to the gun.

DSC01315.jpg

I ended up putting a G+P Aimpoint on the gun. I don't care for the TM Pro-sight that they show the gun with.

DSC01316.jpg

Trade marks were covered with a safety sticker, Peeled right off.

DSC01318.jpg

Overall I think the gun has a really good feel to it. It much more solid then I'm used to when it comes to TM guns. It's weight and balance is very close to real steel. The fore grip does not feel quite as solid as real steel but to someone who has never handle the real thing I doubt you would notice. The stock has a neat sand stone feel to it, nice little touch.

DSC01307.jpg

The gun is small. Compared to my G+P M4 CQB it's really not much bigger.

DSC01314.jpg

Battery is accessed through the butt stock. It is really well designed for ease of use. I doubt anything more then an 8.4 will fit in the gun with out modding.

DSC01309.jpg

Hop-up is accessed through the Mag well.

DSC01313.jpg

More to follow.

Part II

Gun as compared to the real deal. The receiver is black on the SOCOM where on the real gun it is grey.

DSC01310.jpg

Trade marks

DSC01311.jpg

Bolts pulled to the rear. The SOCOM still suffers from a non working bolt catch.

DSC01312.jpg

Hows it shoot? Not to bad is the answer. It shoots on par with most newer stock TM guns. It's gear box will probably last forever if it's left stock. The safety is located on the front of the trigger guard, and easily moves from safe to fire. The selector switch is on the receiver just above the trigger. That is going to take some time to get used to. You have to roll the whole thing over to put in auto.

DSC01321.jpg

I would like to compare it to the G+G version and see which comes out on top.

Overall it's a really nice gun for the money. It's not the end all of AEG's but well worth checking out. I'll probably give it a shot as my primary.

DSC01322.jpg

Im tempted to grab one to compare it to my G&G SOC 16 but then Id have to sell one, :P.

Stuff different on the external end at least:

-SOC16 instead of SOCOM for trademarks on the operating handle.

-G&G's stock seems to have a more textured effect in the reciever section

-Hopup location is different, G&Gs is under the bolt instead of the mag well

-Magazines are different

-G&G has a bolt stop that works

-G&G has larger stock cavity for battery, will swallow up one of my 12Vs with ease

-TM will last longer than G&G stock, thats pretty much a fact

-G&G uses V2/V3 parts in the gearbox, TM uses V6 parts or is it V7, whichever it is unless they changed the gearbox in this version

-On a G&G you can decompress the spring via selector switch, I don't think a TM can do so, correct me if wrong?

-I'd compare weights if you can give me a weight measurement on your SOC16?

-G&G has slightly different trades on upper rear reciever

-How wobbly is your upper handguard, mine is a bit wobbly, not on the scope mount section thank god.

-G&G has a bit of coloration differences on the bolt compared to a TM

-Do you have to push in on your selector switch to change between FA and SA?

Good review

Hope my G&G bit helps :D

I might convert my TM M14 into a SOC16, because I have a sniper rifle now, and I really would like something slightly more manageable in length.  Does anybody have access to the M14 to compare it to?

I don't have an airsoft full size to compare it to but I do have a real steel full length. Let me know what you need, if that will work for you.

Good looking rifle, but that's the only thing i see that's good about it. If it's so hard to upgrade then what advantage does it have over a CA m4? Besides that it looks cool and is rare.

It's not hard to upgrade, just a bit more time consuming since more parts need to come off first before you can get into the gearbox. But once you do, it's easier to work on than a v2 IMO.

And nice review. The more I look at it, the more I want it.

Edited by davedawg123

The TM M14 bolt catch works with about a minute of dremel time....

Good looking rifle, but that's the only thing i see that's good about it. If it's so hard to upgrade then what advantage does it have over a CA m4? Besides that it looks cool and is rare.

1. Its not an M4.

2. It's not stupid like a M16 series gun.

3. It's not an M4.

Edited by Hustie
I might convert my TM M14 into a SOCOM 16, because I have a sniper rifle now, and I really would like something slightly more manageable in length.  Does anybody have access to the M14 to compare it to?

yeah, I really like a SOCOM 16. Although, I think I like a regular M14 better.

Fixed and fixed.

:pirate:®

nachostheclown you said the balance of the gun is like the real steal, so what does that mean? As in does it feel to heavy at one point? I'm just curious since I'm trying to justify buying this gun and since stock wise my aug beats it in every way (though my Aug now is over te 1J by a little).

As you know the Aug is very back heavy so obviously it will feel more even but how even does it feel over all?

nachostheclown you said the balance of the gun is like the real steal, so what does that mean?  As in does it feel to heavy at one point?  I'm just curious since I'm trying to justify buying this gun and since stock wise my aug beats it in every way (though my Aug now is over te 1J by a little). 

If the balance is true to the real steel, then the center of balance should be on the magazine, ie: between both hands. This makes the real gun extremely stable and easy and natural to point.