Unique Alpine TPG1 - candyman style

Candyman

Not a lot of progress to show, just a lot of number crunching. Just about squeezed the m700 unit in, had to mill the bottom section quite deep.

ua056.JPG

Had to really hack this piece up

ua057.JPG

Trying to bolt it to the base

ua058.JPG

Just noticed this doesnt clear either! bugger, need to remke the handle anyway.

ua059.JPG

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your work is absolutely incredible. I wish I had access to a mill. Such things I would build!

You mentioned you were making the stock/grip out of wood, right? If you have access to the materials, fundage and the time, I think it'd be pretty cool to cast the wood model in resin to make it even more realistic, though wood furniture would end up looking rather pretty on that gun. Nevertheless, you could do both and choose the one you like best -- the wood model will still be usable after you cast it.

Bldr.dh: Im not going to get involved in making it from resin, i think it'll be fine in wood and may even look better. Seeing the grain and swirls in the wa2000 stock is really nice and even if i stain this one black i think it'll be a nice feature.

The mill is only a micro mill, it cost me £230 here in the UK, thats about $400 so not a huge outlay really.

PlasticMag: I will be relocating it to besides the magazine like on the real gun

Bldr.dh: Im not going to get involved in making it from resin, i think it'll be fine in wood and may even look better. Seeing the grain and swirls in the wa2000 stock is really nice and even if i stain this one black i think it'll be a nice feature.

The mill is only a micro mill, it cost me £230 here in the UK, thats about $400 so not a huge outlay really.

Yeah, I figured I'd mention it in case, but I'm sure the wood will be beautiful. Might I ask what kind you're going to be using?

As for the mill, is it manually or computer operated? That's really not a bad expense. I might have to look into one of those. I guess I just assumed they're expensive.

Walnut, i got another lump from the same chap on ebay i got the last bit for the wa2000, only cost £12.

Yes its the first mill ive seen thats been this price, the next one up is about 3 times the price. Its manual not cnc obviously, the only drawback is the table isnt massive and doesnt have a huge movement. its been ok fr what im going to be doing, but then again when i come to flute the barrel i will have to do each groove in 3 sections as the table will only move about 200mm at a time.

this is what i have:

milling machine

to the OP.

thats soem very good machining there but a fwe comments to make life easier.

when make cut out segments a good way to make them is by having a base plate (jigg) with a series of tapped holes in in and use over sized stock material.

then drill holes in that outside the area where you will need to work

screw it down, do the internal work first, then using plates bolt it down, (tclamp idea basicaly) and then mill the external parts.

less hassle than drilling lots of hole.s

also WD40 is ###### for machine lube, get some tapping fluid, or nip out to a trade place and gett some cuting greases or even better machine tool lubricants.

drill chucks are ok for what your doing but dont expect alot of accuracy.

a trick a mate did on his mi;ll was to get 2 cheep calipers and bolt the in the X and Y axis so he could use them as a DIGI readout. you can do it on the z as well but tbh i dont think its much point as you seem to be doing very well

Thanks for the info, im learning as I go at the moment but if get stuck on anything I will certainly shoot you a PM.

I proper fudged up a bit I was working on and lost my rag. Had to re do it, a sure sign ive got my head up my *albartroth* when im making mistakes. AAAAAAAAAANyway, back to it now, pulled the takedown part of the gun apart:

ua064.JPG

hacked this bit right down, drilled and tapped all the way round

ua065.JPG

by some massive fluke the OD of the unit is spot on for the ID of the tube

ua066.JPG

all set, also got a threaded ball from a local shop, this will be the cocking handle, 0.95p well spent.

ua067.JPG

Got me a rounded ended milling bit (8mm) to do the grooves with, had a practise on this off cut, not easy. Took me 40 mins to do 5 grooves about 100mm long. I will need to do 8 grooves in three goes over 400mm in length on the real barrel, with no errors :blink: hmm......

ua068.JPG

Modded the magazine catch, well chopped it off and made a big lever that comes to where it is on the TPG1, just push up to release the mag. Had to do away with the original spring and now using one from a ball point pen! note the original mag catch was so thin i had to drill into it and tap an M2 thread.

ua069.JPG

ua070.JPG

ua071.JPG

Thank you all again.

Right......... ok......... cards on the table here I screwed this up and had to re-do it, I cut the handle off and then drilled the hole at the wrong angle, also too big really, so the cocking handle tube bit was useless, fourtunatly Moving_Shadow was nice enough to sell me his g&g uprated item. Its not a direct fit but we dont let little things like that get in the way so i filed the lug off the cocking tube and were back in business. Cut and drilled at the right angle this time and using 6mm rod, the ball has an 8mm thread so had to feed in an 8mm bolt then drill into the middle and tap to m6 so it had a sleeve in effect.

ua072.JPG

ua073.JPG

ua074.JPG

ua075.JPG

also had to pin it with a grub screw as it started to work loose after a couple of cycles, its solid now.

Archived