STAR UMP shooting 25 feet or less..

Yeager

OK, this thing is starting to ###### me off..

I've had this problem for as long as I've had the gun, I've replaced everything internally with systema and CA brand parts. But I see no improvement.

It only shoots 25 feet and when the hopup is making any kind of contact with the bb it jams. I've also replaced the stupid hopup, but it still dosen't work!

Anyone have absolutely ANY idea whats wrong with this POS?

Bad air seal maybe? Something wrong with the nozel causing the jams? When you tried a different hop up did you use the same bucking?

Brand new everything.. the seals are absolutely fine, I tried them myself..

Hopup and bucking were both replaced, so its not the bucking for sure..

I'm considering parting the damn thing out, its been such a pain in the *albatross*..

I've had this problem for as long as I've had the gun, I've replaced everything internally with systema and CA brand parts. But I see no improvement.

seems like a bb loading problem. too late now but, maybe, you should have checked the interfacing between the mag and the feed tube, the nozzle, and the hop up b4 buying new parts. ;)

experienced this when i modded an mp5J into a K and expoxied the body shell to get structural strength. bollixed the clearances enough to f***k up bb feeding and the thing would just dribble bbs.

the jamming, imo, is another clue. probably getting two or three bbs feeding almost simultaneously but not fast enough to double feed nor slow enough to misfeed. i'd check the feeding sequence if i were you.

makes sense? :unsure:

seems like a bb loading problem. too late now but, maybe, you should have checked the  interfacing between the mag and the feed tube, the nozzle, and the hop up b4 buying new parts. ;)

experienced this when i modded an mp5J into a K and expoxied the body shell to get structural strength. bollixed the clearances enough to f***k up bb feeding and the thing would just dribble bbs.

the jamming, imo, is another clue. probably getting two or three bbs feeding almost simultaneously but  not fast enough to double feed nor slow enough to misfeed. i'd check the feeding sequence if i were you.

makes sense? :unsure:

Bbs load and feed fine, the hopup is in contact with the gearbox and airnozzel chambers a bb every time I pull the trigger, It only jams when the hopup is turned on,

I basically get either very little to no hop up affect or it jams and bbs roll out the barrel..

If you replaced the cylinder head, were you sure to use a long one, like the AUG? I had the same problem with a standard cylinder head, then noticed how much shorter it was in comparison to the original STAR.

could be the problem with there..

Any idea where I can find an AUG cylinderhead?

Oh yeah that could be the problem. Since the volume of the cylinder has to be equal to or greater than that of the barrel. Find the radius and length of your barrel, then do Pi*Radius squared*length. Do the same with the cylinder and see if they are at least equal. Basic math stuff you know :)

After that do find the volume of the AUG cylinder. That way you won't waste money if it doesn't work ;)

Oh yeah that could be the problem. Since the volume of the cylinder has to be equal to or greater than that of the barrel. Find the radius and length of your barrel, then do Pi*Radius squared*length. Do the same with the cylinder and see if they are at least equal. Basic math stuff you know :)

After that do find the volume of the AUG cylinder. That way you won't waste money if it doesn't work ;)

We're talking about the cylinder head.. not the cylinder itself.. thanks anyways though.

STAR must have monkies or some lesser form of life building their gearboxes, because my UMP came with a full "nocap" cylinder and a cylinderhead that isn't worth a ######.

I had a Systema Mp-5K cylinder & a ver 3 metal head in it which should be addiquate for the short barrel length (100-150mm Estimated) but it seems that it does indeed do better with the stock fullcap cylinder than the 5K or standard M4 cylinder that I also tried.

If you do plan on getting rid of it, may I suggest you look into buying the G&G UMG as a replacement? I bought mine from AEX several weeks ago, used it in a couple CQB games since and I just love it! It's been a consistent performer and when comparing it to a real steel one at Shot Show, I found it looks and feels closer to the RS than the STAR UMP. I can't recommend it enough. Hope you can fix your UMP though.

If you do plan on getting rid of it, may I suggest you look into buying the G&G UMG as a replacement?  I bought mine from AEX several weeks ago, used it in a couple CQB games since and I just love it!  It's been a consistent performer and when comparing it to a real steel one at Shot Show, I found it looks and feels closer to the RS than the STAR UMP.  I can't recommend it enough.  Hope you can fix your UMP though.

I'm actually in negoiations right now to trade several guns for a brand new G&G UMP with a scad of acessories.. the only putoff is the stupid fake *albatross* trades. :P

Mate I've had exactly the same problem - 180FPS and they practically roll out of the barrel...

Still trying to solve it myself - but I reckon it's a cylinder problem causing a bad seal. The cylinder is actually ported as well purely because of the barrel length, but one day the whole thing just collapsed on me and now I can't get it back upto 328fps (even though it was fine for ages).

*sigh*

Mate I've had exactly the same problem - 180FPS and they practically roll out of the barrel...

Still trying to solve it myself - but I reckon it's a cylinder problem causing a bad seal.  The cylinder is actually ported as well purely because of the barrel length, but one day the whole thing just collapsed on me and now I can't get it back upto 328fps (even though it was fine for ages).

*sigh*

I'm usually a real stickler about trades, but when it came to the UMG, I just wanted something I could depend on and looked and felt accurate enough.

And yeah, the bolt catch ROCKS!!!

My gun is one of the few original kits that came through, and I can find no innaccuracies in the trades other than "STARAIRSOFT VA" while comparing it to my buddies USC.

Got it second hand, Gearbox thats in it came from my old doner STAR G-36K with an AUG cylinderhead.

I put the old head and cylinder back in and now it shoots 100 feet, but beyond that mark the bbs just drop straight down when they should be "floating". I suppose I could use this gun for CQB in this configuration.. but I'd love to make it my primary in woodland.

So I figgure that its the airnozzel and cylinder making a bad seal with the piston.

*sigh*

if anyone wants to swap an AUG cylinder head for a Systema metal ver 3 head let me know..

Archived