Revolver Maintenance

renegadecow

I've just bought a Tanaka S&W .500 recently and have had lot of fun shooting with it, if not too much. I experienced first shot light strikes at the start which I remedied by tightening the leaf spring a notch. After 500+ rounds on green gas, the light strikes are coming back and I'm guessing the o-rings are getting dry. I'm tempted in taking it apart just to lube the o-rings and such, which is what I'd normally do on a GBB, but thats just it, I'm new to this revolver bit. The manual doesn't have any maintenance procedures on lubing valves and doesn't even mention cleaning procedures (didn't come with a cleaning rod to boot). Is there any special way in cleaning/lubing revolvers specifically Tanakas equipped with PEGASUS systems? I'm reluctant in opening it up so as to avoid compromising the gas seals.

I was hoping for some secret trick to it, but thanks anyways. Although revolvers should be a great deal less complicated than GBBs in the absence of a slide and blow-back chamber, the PEGASUS system gets me pretty imtimidated. I've had plenty of hours examining the one on my KJ M700 which is a copy of Tanakas and took me even longer to get the leaks out of. My fear of compromising the seals comes from my curiosity of how the system works, opening it up without fair reason and winding up with a leaky mag and sore fingers. For now, I've tried lubing just the visible part of the shaft just outside of the revolving cylinder and let the oil run down to its o-rings. It helps remove the light strikes for now but it still comes back after after a while. At least its more predictable now. If there really is no special procedure in cleaning gas revolvers, then I'll just stick with my regimen of barrel cleaning and mild lubing.

Archived