The Complete Tanaka Thread

The Chef

Yeah, all the M700 series outer's will fit. Although you may have to do a quick drill and tap to get the mounting hole positions in the correct place.

Some come with multiple holes so you can pick and choose. IIRC the AICS one is just the same as the M24/M40A1 outer anyway.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any idea what outer barrel this is?

i was just thinking, ive seen lots of rifles with a barrel like that before, but not an AICS, so chances are its the m700 length outer barrel, i was thinking of trying to get my hands on one of these so i can use an easier to find m700 length inner barrel (i do have all the tools required to properly cut pipe and to give the cut a clean end, but i dont feel comfortable cutting down an expensive inner barrel, which i could potentialy ruin.)

also, what are all your opions on the flash hider for the AICS? according to the flash hider description its designed for the l96 (what they aics is), but ive seen photos of the real gun both with and without the flash hider, and i cant decide if i like it or not. i mean its a nice flash hider, but its also more noticible without any camo over it. and with camo over it, its a bit pointless as its purely for looks.

The BGS outer barrel comes with a 680mm inner barrel as standard, so all known airsoft barrels will fit, as the longest is the 650 PSG1 barrel, you wouldn't need to cut it down at all.

The BGS barrel also comes with a 14mm- thread adapter and the flash hider is the Guarder L96 type flash hider with obviously uses the 14mm- adapter, Just as a note, this thing is bloody heavy, and makes the balance of the rifle rather "front heavy" so take this into consideration.

~Moving Shadow~ AKA "that guy"

Edit: The barrel used on my AICS is the M24 barrel, not M700

I just ordered my AICS from the guys at Fire Support and they phoned to say that a/ they only have the black one - which cheesed me off initially but I've come round to thinking...cool. And b/ it's got a gas restriction device in the nozzle/hop up brass thingy (technical term) to keep the velocity to around 350fps. They (and I) figure I'll be able to drill it out fairly easily, although they did offer to do it for me. I think I'll give it a go myself. It's the perfect excuse for buying a drill stand and associated bits and pieces.

Edit: The barrel used on my AICS is the M24 barrel, not M700

so m24 parts like outter barrels and such fit onto the aics too then? or did you have to modify the parts/gun to get them to fit? i can understand the m700 parts fitting as the gun is basicaly just a m700 in a l96 stock, but i thought the m24 was a different gun and so thinsg like outter barrel wouldnt fit.

The M700 outer barrel has a kinda of flared end where it curves out slightly, the M24/AICS/M40a1 barresl are all just perfectly straight, with the M24 and the M700 the stocks are specifically made for each outer barrel, as the L96 style stock has a lot of room around the outer barrel, M700 or M24 barrels will fit, but I had to have two holes drilled and tapped so that the BGS barrel would fit the AICS as the holes for the M24 were further along the barrel than the AICS holes.

So to answer your question, yes M24 parts will fit, but do expect some requied modding on some parts.

~Moving Shadow~

You could use the G&G heavy fluted outer barrel, as this version does not even use the barrel hardpoint, it uses a locking nut that is held in place by the receiver prongs, its very simple to install, but is rather weighty, however this version does not have a 14mm thread adapter and one cannot be installed without some modding.

~Moving Shadow~

I'm going to get a job in two weeks (when school is out), and among other things, I want to buy myself a new, shiny sniper's rifle. So... If you could help me, eh? I want help, criticism, advice, anything.

This is going to show my thought process and why I picked what I picked. Nothing is concrete, as the gun isn't bought yet. Feel free to debate anything.

Chose Tanaka. Wanted gas, I like the realism as well as the PCS bolt. At my field I'm going to need to limit the rifle to 400 FPS til' I pass a dumb test thing. After that I can put the rifle at 550. Obviously a PCS bolt is an easy way around this.

This automatically knocks the Kar 98k out as a contender.

The M700 AICS is too common. It's the coolest, however it's not very realistic and if I bought one I'd be a sheep. Baaaa.

M700 is ugly

M40A1 is apparently light and plasticy, even though it was my first choice (I'd rather own the Marine's Sniper's Rifle than the Army's)

M24 Fluted isn't as cool as the SWS

Which leads me to the M24 SWS.

I plan on putting this scope on it, or possibly the version with a range finder on it, depending on how useful that feature actually is.

I will put a bipod on it, spring ejecting, spring return or Harris. I don't know which, however I am eying the spring return. The rifle needs to be slinged as well. If you could spell out the solution for me here, that'd be dandy. =)

I plan on getting a Dee's Customs barrel and running it through a suppressor. I've searched... But how do you do this? The suppressor I mean? I need to know how long the inner barrel is, and my usual sources (Cobra, Red, WGC) all failed me. Also, if anyone knows of a suppressor which looks particularly good on a sniper's rifle, let me know, eh?

The dilemma:

The M24, the gun which should turn out to be perfect, has a front sight. WHY? With the suppressor on that front sight is going to bug the ###### out of me. Take a look down below. The rifles without front sights look FAR better.

SSG_DEC01.jpg

DSC02341.jpg

USR11scoped600.jpg

Which leads me to the M40A1. If I buy the M40A1 I'll be cranky because it's too light and it's plasticy. If I but the M24 SWS I'll be cranky because there's a fugly front sight.

I could get the M24 SWS Fluted Version, however this is expensive, not in stock anywhere, and requires special magazines which currently are not available.

Please tell me there is a rifle I'm missing or an easy solution. Otherwise I'll be focusing all of energy from my awesome rifle onto a front sight or plasticy body. =(

The foresight is removeable...

M24 is the best stock after the AICS (IMO). You can get the G-version of the Kar98 which has the PCS too. It can also be retro-fitted to all non-G-version kar's.

Suppressors are attached using a silencer adapter. Pretty much the same as every other airsoft rifle that doesnt come with a threaded barrel.

That scope may be a little too powerful for skirmishing, depending on the ranges you are planning on shooting at. Personally, 3-9x mag is much more useable.

I have attached a picture of my 2 old tanakas. one M700 and one M24

The M24 has the G&G short outer barrel with silencer adapter (looks great with the QD SR-15 silencer) and a 3-9x42 scope

The M700 has the G&G Long outer barrel with silencer adapter and a 6-24x50AOE scope.

Harris bipod if you are must have one, but they are a bit of a non-event in my eyes.

I am a big fave of Biathalon slings, but they are difficult to find.

Anything is possible, and the long mags fit in all the M700 series.

post-7631-1165306765_thumb.jpg

The foresight is removeable...

And then will I have a hole in the top? =)

M24 is the best stock after the AICS (IMO). You can get the G-version of the Kar98 which has the PCS too. It can also be retro-fitted to all non-G-version kar's.

Glad to hear about the M24. However I'm going for MILSIM, which is why I don't want the AICS. This is also why I don't want the Kar98k. A WWII rifle in MARPAT would be a tad odd, eh?

Suppressors are attached using a silencer adapter. Pretty much the same as every other airsoft rifle that doesnt come with a threaded barrel.

OK, I'll try and find that now.

EDIT: This?

That scope may be a little too powerful for skirmishing, depending on the ranges you are planning on shooting at. Personally, 3-9x mag is much more useable.

=)

As a sniper I would be doing mostly observing, and seeing as how my field is 5 acres, I want the 24x zoom. I talked to a guy whom had the same scope, and he said that 6x is a tad overkill for one hundred feet but not terrible, and that under that you have to use your pistol anyway. He loved the 24x zoom, though. Perfect for observing the enemy reaaaaaaaaaaaly far away.

But perhaps since you have experience you could tell me why you like the 3-9x more?

I have attached a picture of my 2 old tanakas. one M700 and one M24

The M24 has the G&G short outer barrel with silencer adapter (looks great with the QD SR-15 silencer) and a 3-9x42 scope

The M700 has the G&G Long outer barrel with silencer adapter and a 6-24x50AOE scope.

I shall look for the QD SR-15 suppressor. Thanks. =)

EDIT: This?

Harris bipod if you are must have one, but they are a bit of a non-event in my eyes.

Ah, could you tell me why? Bipods are awesome. =) The ability to go prone and get that crosshair steady on them... It's frickin' awesome. And why do you like the Harris?

I am a big fave of Biathalon slings, but they are difficult to find.

Anything is possible, and the long mags fit in all the M700 series.

I shall look.

there are some biathlon slings on the site a guy put up a few posts ago (sayin for real steel parts for the real steel AICS/AI rifles)

In this thread? I shall look. =)

EDIT: I don't wanna pay in pounds, though. It looks like a simple sling. Why couldn't I just use a three point? Or find another sling that's similar?

How's this?

Also, how do the bipod/sling hook on? I've seen bipods with sling mounts on them. Is this necessary? Does the sling hook on before the bipod? And does the bipod attatch directly on?

You'll have 2 tiny screw holes in the top of your barrel. A bit of tape will hide these if they really mess with your mojo that much.

Thats the silencer adapter all right.

well, 3-9x mag..... because 3x is great for skirmishing, just enough zoom to allow you to see far away, but wide enough to allow for quick target aquisition and field of view. Its also goes up to 9x to get really close to those things that are far away.

I am soon to be trying a 4-12x, which should be a nice compromise.

The 6x I found needed a great deal of faff to actually get a decent sight picture and at 24x mag, it was just madness.

No bipod... With my style of play, I dont really get time to deploy a bipod and they are extra weight for stuff that really can be done with the good old arms and something to rest upon. Plus its extra stuff to get caught on branches and brambles.

Harris one fits nicely on the bottom of the M24/M700 frame.

Slings a sling really. The Biathalon ones allow you to carry them comfortably on your back, and mine (which was made from an old rucksack) has Quick release buckles.

The M24 has sling studs, the bipod fits over one, but the other is still free.

You'll have 2 tiny screw holes in the top of your barrel. A bit of tape will hide these if they really mess with your mojo that much.

Thats the silencer adapter all right.

well, 3-9x mag..... because 3x is great for skirmishing, just enough zoom to allow you to see far away, but wide enough to allow for quick target aquisition and field of view. Its also goes up to 9x to get really close to those things that are far away.

I am soon to be trying a 4-12x, which should be a nice compromise.

The 6x I found needed a great deal of faff to actually get a decent sight picture and at 24x mag, it was just madness.

No bipod... With my style of play, I dont really get time to deploy a bipod and they are extra weight for stuff that really can be done with the good old arms and something to rest upon. Plus its extra stuff to get caught on branches and brambles.

Harris one fits nicely on the bottom of the M24/M700 frame.

Slings a sling really. The Biathalon ones allow you to carry them comfortably on your back, and mine (which was made from an old rucksack) has Quick release buckles.

The M24 has sling studs, the bipod fits over one, but the other is still free.

You're an amazing help, thanks. You make my mojo happy. =)

For the Harris bipod, do I want the one that doesn't swivel? I saw a bipod once that was all loosey goosey and it seemed to take a bit of the point of a bipod out..

I took your advice, and started looking around at scopes... But I simply couldn't find one that looks as good as that 6-24x. Then I found out that NC Star has an entire Mark III line! All the same awesome looks, with varying powers and reticles! So I found me a 4-16x50 that looks exactly the same. The Beautiful NC Star Mark III line

Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with one last thing to beef my mojo. You know those flippy-type scope covers? Well, I think those are frickin' awesome. But would it look funky on the angled sun shade of the Mark III?

d_1158.jpg

Or would it still be cool? If not, then, well, life goes on, however if it looks good... I will die a happy man. Most likely.

"My life is complete because the NC Star Mark III looks good with flippy-type lens caps."

And if so fact so it looks smashing with flippy lens caps, how the ###### do I know which ones to buy? Here is a page, however I cannot find an online manual or some'uch to know which ones to buy..

Hey there, I've just been driving myself slightly crazy trying to figure out all the AICS hop threads as my dearly beloved is currently shooting in a highly amusing corkscrew fashion.

Anyway, if anyone's Chinese (Taiwanese?) is better than mine, maybe you can make sense of the Best Gun Shop website (http://home.kimo.com.tw/bestgunshop/)

Some of their M700 products (not specifically AICS) can be found here.

One thing that confuses me (aside from the whole website) is this page which appears to be instructions on the installation. Is it me, or does it show part of the barrel being filed down slightly?

Aaaanyway, I'd like to get one of the hop up sets rather than just the hop rubber because I'm not too skilled at the drilling i.e. extremely bad at it. Evike are out of stock, so I thought I'd shoot BGS an email to see if they'd put up with the annoying foreigner assuming they speak english and sell me one :D

The little 'groove' thats filed out is where the hop rubber sits over and the hop-adjuster pressed down into the barrel and thus onto the bb.

The only thing i would want to know about this site is where the silver block part was got from to help file it and also the little bit of white tubing (i think ive read some people on here writing about using a bit of the biro pen .. not sure if this is the part mentioned, clarification maybe ??)

Yeah, I'm not sure about that metal block, maybe they're just assuming that everone has a tanaka-m700-hopup-hole-adjustment-filing-jig . . . , don't you?! I suppose the rest of us will just have to guess when to stop filing.

I think the white part is used to hammer in the nozzle into the bolt.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking the thread slightly.

no problem FJ2, it is the complete tanaka thread afterall.

I hadnt seen that page, and interestingly I had filed my barrel down too. great minds...

The Later generation Tanaka Barrels (AICS) actually has a square hop hole, like an AEG barrel. I think its basically to just give the hop rubber nub some space to come down into the barrel without fouling the edges of the barrel.

If you can find anyone with a pillar drill and some spare time, the hop housing can be drilled out pretty easily.

I am currently on the hunt for some 6mm brass tubing so I can custom make the long nozzles, because these are definitely needed with the BGS rubbers, otherwise, the BB gets caught in the start of the barrel with 'interesting' results.

Do any of you guys own the Black version of the Tanaka AICS? I heard it has better build quality and a better hop than the original, but is fixed at a lower velocity. Retailers dont seem to help in the slightest(copy and pasted description of the green version in most cases), i just wondered if it really is restricted to 1 joule to comply with japanese gun law. Need help ASAP would like to order tonight.

Archived