The Complete Tanaka Thread

The Chef

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would appear it is the restricted version.

Cant comment on the hop unit. The AICS (early version) used a slightly redesigned hop from the original M700 series. Cant see them making much of a change. The only better thing would be to go to a BGS style system.

The restriction is just a slightly tighter nozzle. Reduces the gas flow. This can easily be replaced or bored out to suit the more powerful style.

IIRC ... i read on the net about honk kong having to restrict the rifles to 1joule, but i think its possible to remove it when its outside of HK.

i doubt thats the case, legal power in HK is 2J, and no retailer would restrict their guns to 1J if the original power was anything over that.

by the way.. does anyone here have a tanaka kar98k original version with g-version conversion kit, or a kar98k g-version?

I-mack : the new laws on velocity restriction are in Japan and not Hong Kong.

If only they made TANAKA rifles with V-HOP systems... now that would be the ultimate rifle IMO. Next season I will have my m40a1 out and get to grips with these gas rifles. :D Should be interesting, but for now it's abit cold around here for depending on gas IMO.

Good hunting ;)

now that would be the ultimate rifle IMO. Next season I will have my m40a1 out and get to grips with these gas rifles.  :D Should be interesting, but for now it's abit cold around here for depending on gas IMO.

unless im mistake, the blue big-out hop bucking and nozzle set is a Vhop

Yeah, interested in that one myself (its new to me). If you mean the BGS ones, which incidentally are blue, then No, they are not V hop. They are just the standard bump type.

Sirrith, I think SIDEARM has a Kar98 with the G conversion kit on.

What is it you are after?

I have just recieved to seemingly contradictory emails from unco. One which says the rifle is restricted to 1 joule(from the sales team) and one from the tech team which says it has the PCS bolt alowing the power to be adjusted. Im not taking any chances, so im changing my order to the green one (assuming it isnt restricted).

Just posted in another thread on this - from what I can gather from all the retailers I have contacted (every major HK store and UK store) the rifles do not come with PCS anymore (the system has been gutted, not entirely removed...or something like that) and the nozzle has had an insert placed into it to narrow the diameter. This can be removed through drilling, as apparenlty it comes loose once a relative amount of force is applied.

If I were you (I am buying a M700 AICS for christmas also) get one second hand. They take very little wear being gas, they dont see a lot of mad rushing action so cosmetically they take very little damage and you can be secure in the knowledge that:

a) It has both the PCS system and the unrestricted nozzle

B) Everything is working as it should

c) The rifle, most likely, will already be tuned

Just my 2 cents. There are a suprising number of people selling these second hand if you put out feelers. If you want, I can put you in contact with a guy who is trying to sell his atm ( our deal fell through due to postal delays).

Cheers

Matthais_31

past editing time :(

ok well i got my tanaka kar98k, BUT bad news. tanaka had to lower the power of their rifles, so now all kar98k's will be shooting under 1J on green gas. its still pretty darn accurate though :P

no chance to test range yet, its raining out, and i dont wanna wet my brand new gun, haha

past editing time :(

ok well i got my tanaka kar98k, BUT bad news.  tanaka had to lower the power of their rifles, so now all kar98k's will be shooting under 1J on green gas.  its still pretty darn accurate though :P

no chance to test range yet, its raining out, and i dont wanna wet my brand new gun, haha

you could try and see if there is a removable restrictor somewhere inside the

nozzle, or you could drill a larger hole yourself :)

ok, i bought the G-version conversion kit, and im using it on max setting, works fine now :P 4** fps, great range, lacking accuracy at longer ranges because the barrel has grease in it (and my cleaning rod isnt long enough to reach all the way down, so i have to wait for the grease to be removed by shooting bbs..)

the guy at tokyo-model told me that the g-version conversion kit would only boost it by about 0.2J ::)

rubbish.

i love it, haha, but unfortunately i have to put it away as im leaving on hols for xmas tomorrow morning :(

one bit of information for people who might be using the g-version conversion kit: when installing it, be VERY (emphasis on very) careful, theres a ball bearing on a spring (yeah, silly) that goes inside the original part which is replaced by the conversion. its in that hole on the side where nothing seems to go. when you pull the old part out, the ball bearing WILL fly out, mine did the first time, scared the heck out of me.. then it decided to jump out another 2-3 times when i was trying to fit the conversion kit back in.

one bit of information for people who might be using the g-version conversion kit: when installing it, be VERY (emphasis on very) careful, theres a ball bearing on a spring (yeah, silly) that goes inside the original part which is replaced by the conversion.  its in that hole on the side where nothing seems to go.  when you pull the old part out, the ball bearing WILL fly out, mine did the first time, scared the heck out of me.. then it decided to jump out another 2-3 times when i was trying to fit the conversion kit back in.

If its the one down near the base, it doesnt do anything except provide springy resistance to the bolt

i dont think its that one, the spring + bearing are positioned so the force exerted by the spring is perpendicular to the direction of movement of the bolt.

I might be wrong though, because i havnt disassembled the rifle completely yet, i just took off the front part of the bolt with the nozzle.

It is the one TDS means... although his description is suitably vague.

basically, it stops the bolt from slopping about between the cocked position (bolt down in place) and the uncocked position (bolt handle up, ready to be pulled back).

The ball bearing slots into two dimples at either end of this stroke and the spring provides a limited resistance to keep it there, but not enough to lock it in place.

Mine sprung out when I took it to bits (I assumed it was going to be like the M700, which doesnt have it) and nearly lost it too.

well I was looking at getting a tanaka in the new year and couldn't decide what to get?

either a:

kar

m700

or AICS?

but now it would appear that they are being restricted I am having second thoughts? I already own a upgraded G-spec and wanted a gas rifle after firing a AICS! and as F&O has a 500fps limit I was after something of that ilk? may have to go second hand now!!

now to my queston? how upgradable are the kar98's? as I love the look of them, but wonder if they can stand up to regular green gas use? and what, if any upgrades are available? I don't seem to be able to find any anywhere?

I know Gucci has raved about your AICS chef, and being a newbie to gas rifles any advice would help me make a choice??

Kar98 is basically just as upgradeable as the M700 series.

It can take an AICS length inner barrel, the BGS hop rubbers, the mags are a similar design as the M700 ones, but they are slightly bigger and NOT interchangeable with the M700. They will take green out of the box (as demonstrated by me at the weekend if you were on the receiving end at all).

If you get a G-version Kar it will have the PCS, useful but not entirely necessary. You can buy the G-version conversion kit as an aftermarket part.

To be honest, all you need is the barrel and the hop rubber. everything else is just icing on the cake.

They are effectively the same gun internally (with a few slight differences in design), so it really falls down to personal preference.

The AICS is a dream to hold. Uber ergonomic, a true beast, but doesnt quite fit the WW2 theme, whereas the Kar could easily be used as a modern day counterpart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey team,

Im in the process of buying/building a Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S, im not to fussed on cost or anything like that but this is what i have come up by reading these forums (that i have followed for a long time) and would like your opinions on anything that is wrong or that im missing.

1. Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S.(OD)

2. KM 6.04mm TN Inner Barrel for Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S. ( 587mm )

3. King Arms Striker Spring & Steel Impact Plate for Tanaka M700 / M40 / M24 (im actually unsure if i need this, but they all take the same mag, so it must be good :) )

4. G&G Rubber Set for Tanaka M700 / M24

As for a bipod, i was going to get the whole tanaka set up for the AICS, but from what i have read you can use the Maruzen Ball Joint Bipod for APS-2 / Type 96, Which i think looks quite good (theres a pic of one somewhere), i think it needs a little modification, but if it locks in and works well it might be my pick.

Optics will also come from what i can find locally, most likely on high mounts/rings since i understand that optics require a bit of cleance on this rifle because of the cheek rest.

Also, with the new law in Japan, am i looking at having to drill out the re-stricter on this rifles bolt, if so, has anyone tried it yet?,

Any opinions/suggestions welcome, thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

Archived