The Complete Tanaka Thread

The Chef

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it great in temperatures around 0C which was my main reason for investigating the subject. I only use my co2 rig on the target range, if I am honest. I only have one mag for it (fitted with different impact plates). I still really like green gas for warmer temperatures, just because of the ease of reloading. I don't like hoses and all that extra distraction from gaming itself. Green gas is simple and pretty effective, unless you are hoping for extreme range consistancy.

My tanaka still nails 70 yards consistantly, which is often ample for many gaming situations.

Although the spring gun, is still king, at being simple and highly dependable, to hit the long shots. I'm talking VSR/BAR of course ;)

So my advice, is either stick with green gas, or, look at HPA and the better advantages of consistancy and number of shots.

Good Hunting ;)

Don't buy the KJW mags. They are BAD in all ways. They have ridiculous springs for the BB's and tend to scratch your pellets on the lips with the massive force involved. They are not consistant at delivering gas. Invest in a tanaka mag instead.

Be sure to get the VSR hop conversion kit and new barrel, with 9ball VSR rubber if you want the gun to perform well.

Good Hunting ;)

So I tested my latest purchase today. A few odd things have come to light. At the chrono it read 984fps...which I suspect *may* have been an error. The bolt is kind of difficult to work when it's being lifted which I attribute to the previous owners bad spray painting (Leaving the bolt in place and not covering it with some tape), heavy trigger and my personal favourite, a hop that doesn't want to...well, hop. The adjustment screw seems to be bent and doesn't actually appear to adjust anything. Such a shame it's playing up, was hoping to use it next weekend :(

harsh. Tanaka's are not pick up and play rifles.

Sounds like it has the power spring or bolt fitted and hence why the odd chrono result and heavy lift of the bolt. I advise you get the original tanaka hammer spring fitted inside the bolt.... it can easily reach 600fps on a warm day, which is more than enough and makes it far more durable in the long run. The trigger being heavy is not a good sign either.

Sounds like its been tinkered with, which is often a bad thing.

take the hop adjuster screw out and straighten the end, if bent.

Get the VSR hop conversion kit, 9ball VSR rubber and VSR 555mm inner barrel if you want it to shoot like a sniper rifle. thats important due to the very limited number of shots in the mags.

So plenty to do and invest in :(

Good Hunting ;)

Hey guys, I decided to upgrade my KJW M700P a bit. Taking it apart i have noticed that the barrel floats all the way to the end with no spacers.

Will any spacers on the market fit it? (Like the PDI ones for the VSR) Or do I have to find someone to machine them for me?

Also on that note, does anyone know of a shop that still stock outer barrels for KJW / Tanaka M700? Or am I out of luck?

You don't need barrel spacer with gas guns since the don't produce any vibrations.

As for barrels your best bet is to find the G&G heavy barrel or if you're lucky enough to find one Best Gun! I have a Best Gun 26inch fluted outer barrel that came with a 6.03 TBB, it's longer than stock sadly but not as heavy as the G&G, pluw it comes with threaded end cap!

Here's a pic of it..

P8311009.jpg

And a size comparison with my old AICS

P8311013.jpg

Wolf

Right, I need help sourcing parts for my M700 Police, and hopefully you wonderful people can assist.

What I need is the hop up mechanism. I've got the hop chamber and rubber, but that's it. Where can I get the rest of the parts from? I do have the hop adjustment wheel, but as I stated in a previous post it's bent and if possible I'd like to replace it.

Also, does anyone have an English manual for it that they could send me? The only one that I could find is in Japanese.

Thanks in advance.

Currently Im building a "inegrally suppressed" short rifle using my tanaka m40a1. Im no mod junkie so I was hoping some of you could lend a hand.

When it comes to barrels what can I use? I need something around 280mm. Can I use any barrel of that size or do I need specific ones for the tanaka? And is the VSR-10 barrel and hop conversion good? Can anyone recommend a bucking to go along with the conversion?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

VSR hop conversion is recommended as it allows you to use VSR barrels which are in general vastly superior in terms of accuracy when coupled With the VSR hop rubbers.

The nineball bucking is very good and some also prefer the firefly bucking as well.

You don't need barrel spacer with gas guns since the don't produce any vibrations.

As for barrels your best bet is to find the G&G heavy barrel or if you're lucky enough to find one Best Gun! I have a Best Gun 26inch fluted outer barrel that came with a 6.03 TBB, it's longer than stock sadly but not as heavy as the G&G, pluw it comes with threaded end cap!

Here's a pic of it..

Wolf

Ok, thanks for the heads up. It seems G&G Heavy barrels are easy to find.

On that note, whats up with PSG-1 Barrels? Are they VSR (KJW M700) Compatible? I have seen a manufacturer (I think Action Army) claim that their barrel fits both PSG-1 and KJW M700...

Ok, thanks for the heads up. It seems G&G Heavy barrels are easy to find.

On that note, whats up with PSG-1 Barrels? Are they VSR (KJW M700) Compatible? I have seen a manufacturer (I think Action Army) claim that their barrel fits both PSG-1 and KJW M700...

PSG-1 used standard AEG cut barrels, KJW uses VSR cut barrels, basically you don't need to buy the hop up conversion with the KJW to use VSR buckings and barrels ans you would with Tanaka.

Wolf

My advice is to just get the VSR hop conversion kit, that replaces most of the tanaka hop mechanism. You need a new inner barrel and 9ball hop rubber.... it will almost shoot like a laser (VSR10) if you get it setup well. I suggets not to go down the KJW route, but it's upto you and is probably far cheaper.

Good Hunting ;)

Told him he's not interested, I installed a king arms hop (very hard) I'm still tweaking the accuracy but i was putting .40 @ 3.3j through a 4th story window at 90 meters, using google map labs measuring tool. I'm not 100% convinced still need more testing, laser range finder needed to verify. But the VSR conversion is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that it needs any more confirmation, but definitely agreed on the Nine-Ball bucking. It's well worth the few extra bucks. Forewarning on the Falcon

series of VSR rubbers as well. I tried out a few in my M700 and had some terrible results with maybe 2 out of 5 BB's not even getting past the bucking itself.

Quick question......has anyone ordered any M700/M24 series replacement parts from Tanaka or KJW directly with any success as of late? It seems getting in contact

with KJW isn't too much of a problem, but I'm having trouble finding a way to contact Tanaka. I'm after a few little parts but most importantly a new outer barrel

to do some tinkering with.

Since I've nearly got my rifle finished with the exception of maybe a cheek rest or stock bag. Although it's a KJW base, most of the factory

parts have been replaced with Tanaka or other after market brands.

d0a625e8.jpg

893932ce.jpg

ba7c1c71.jpg

I run it on HPA with my 1961A-R kit. Also have an intermediary cutoff valve on there to make mag changes a bit more

efficient in terms of speed and wasting air.

80c95784.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived