S-3 Arms MP40 AEG

S-3 Arms Machinenpistole 40 (MP40)

Available at www.airsoftforce.com

MP40rgttext1a_med.png

Replica Background

The MachinenPistole 40, or "Machine Pistol" was a fully automatic Self-Loading Pistol chambered in 9mm Parabellum and was designed from the older 'MP36/38' but made from stamped steel rather than machined steel. This was a cost-savings effort by Germany to keep production up and time and labor to build down. Just over one million MP38/40's were built.

While this submachine gun is widely recognized under the name 'Schmeisser', that is incorrect- that name in fact refers to a later iteration, the 'MP41' that differed by using a wooden stock instead of the collabsible stock and was mostly issued to police forces. Hugo Schmeisser assisted with that model. The MP38 and MP40's were designed by Heinrich Vollmer.

The low recoil of the weapon made it popular among the squad leaders and paratroops that were issued the MP40.

The MP40 design inspired many postwar weapons such as the Swedish Carl Gustav M45 and the Yugoslavian Zastava M56. As well, stamped Steel weapons such as the U.S M3A1 Grease Gun can trace their lineage to the weapons such as the MP40 and British STEN.

The Replica

This particular S-3 Arms MP40 belongs to a friend of mine, Mr. Jim Seery. Jim was kind enough to allow me to invade his garage recently to take a peek at the new Chinese clone MP40 AEG and see what all the fuss is about.

Jim received one of the first released batches from the great guys at Airsoftforce.com (www.airsoftforce.com) right after Christmas. And not a moment too soon, with the back-to-back blizzards that the Denver Colorado area has seen this holiday, cabin fever was already setting in so to relieve that, he had already been doing some target practice in his garage.

My first impression was "Yikes! this thing is heavy!" I have owned the Asahi/Marushin MP40 classic Airsoft gun in the past, but I have never handled the TOP so I was not really prepared for the weight the full metal AEG was packing. There were no rattles or audible squeaks.

MP40Jim1a.png

The S-3 MP40 held by Jim Seery

Jim showed me the 'take down' of the weapon, as with a real-steel MP40, simply pull the circular knob you will find forward of the trigger housing down and then twist the receiver group and the gun disassembles.

Separating the barrel group from the rest of the weapon reveals the version 3 mechbox. (Sorry no pictures yet)

As stated in other reviews of this weapon, the connectors and battery charger that ships with the gun are useless to anyone that lives outside China. And as with other detail on this, a quick trip to the local battery store sorts this issue out for around $10 bucks.

Jim was kind enough to have the gun charged and ready for me whan I arrived.

MP40left1_med.png

Visual Impressions

The S-3 MP40 reportedly is a clone of the TOP Machinenpistole 40. Unfortunately I have never seen or held one of the TOP versions so I can only pass on what I have learned from those that are more familiar with that product.

Here is a comparison of the TOP, the S-3 and a 'Custom' MP40 AEG built by my friend the talented Schmitty:

http://ww2aa.proboards45.com/index.cgi?boa...read=1167279690

As mentioned earlier, there are no audible sqeaks, grinds, or rattles when holding the weapon. The folding stock clicks and locks firmly as would be expected. Similar to the Tokyo Marui M1A1 Thompson, the bolt is non-functioning, however it does move to expose the hopup mechanisim. To bad it doesn't operate correctly like a Marushin. (Or the Custom Schmitty MP40)

The gun definately feels solid and substantial in your hands.

As far as overall visual 'quality' again, not having personal experience with the TOP was a drawback because I don't know what the 'gold standard' is to compare against. However, I would say that this machine pistol should satisfy any WWII Airsoftenactor. The black paint was applied well and evenly, the fit and finish of the parts while not the best I have seen, certainly wasn't the worst I have seen. One thing that kept going through my mind as I was holding the gun was, "Hey- these were supposed to be mass-produced, stamp a million of them out, cheap to replicate guns right?" -Well the Chinese clone certainly meets that requirement. ....and oh yeah, it shoots. (Which is something most TOP owners can't say)

In other words, it may not be as beautiful as a TOP, but it works.

I could see this gun 'distressed' by a WWII Airsoftenactor to really look outstanding- worn edges, silver showing through, etc. that would really add to this weapons appearance. It should be noted that the S-3 MP40 does not come with the brown bakelite grips and panels that the TOP does.

MP40left1bakelt_med.png

S-3 MP40 shown with photoshopped bakelite panels and grips.

Shooting Impressions

Well, this is what its all about isn't it?

There has been a bit of controversy with this new WWII AEG. First off, in keeping with the current Chinese AEG tactic of releasing mutliple versions of the same product to confuse and distract the Airsoft community. apparently there are at least two versions of this gun, One reportedly is a much lesser quality product that does not in fact use the version 3 mechbox but rather a bellows system like the original TOP it was built to mimick.

Also, as linked above, based on my good friend Schmitty's results there have been questions as to the accuracy and reliability of the gun.

However, my experience was not the same as Schmittys. As usual, I never take stinking pictures of the shredded targets....oops. But in our 'scientific' testing, (Inside the garage, 35' ft target distance) the gun shot roughly 6" inch groups and no 'flyers'.

Jim doesn't have a chrono, so we couldn't confirm Schmitty's tested FPS numbers, but I would expect this to be a little 'hotter' than a stock TM or similar AEG out of the box as he indicated.

The gun as tested in a 20 degree garage in the middle of winter in between two back-to-back snowstorms in Colorado shot well and reliably. I had no mis-feeds or non-feeds. The mag seats well and firmly, again no rattles. All the bb's found their target.

MP40closergtphoto_med.png

Conclusions

So to finish, is this weapon going to give the 'high end' of Airsoft replica manufacturers reason to fear? Probably not.....at least not yet. The gun is no TM, CA, GnG or TOP as far as minute detail and appearance. But then again, we are talking about a stamped steel, pre-fab, mass-produced gun here- it's not supposed to be the same level of workmanship that say a Thompson or a KAR98 was.

There are a few screws-where-there-shouldn't-be-screws on this that would keep it from winning replica awards.

But let's remember, there currently is NO reliable MP40 on the market right now is there? The TOP while visually correct and beautiful, only works for a week and still costs $400+ when you can find them, not to mention the immediate requirement to replace the 'shoots-the-bb-system'- (Sorry TOP, but it's true)

So what we have here for a little over $300 delivered is a *seemingly (*still a bit early for long-term reliability stats) reliable platform for the WWII Airsoftenactor.

I give it a solid 8 out of 10- I think it looks great, When I get mine I will be adding touches to make it look like a battle-hardened war veteran that I think will be right in keeping with it's rugged 'mass-produced' feel. I will absolutely remove the inaccurate fire-selector switch on the left side. Light pressure on the trigger allows single shots, so I'm uncertain why the mfg. thought it was necessary. I wonder if the panels from a broken TOP would work....;-)

Pros:

Full Metal

Heavy and Substantial

Version 3 Internals

Every trigger pull worked and created tight groups

Finally a 'reliable' MP40?

Relatively Inexpensive

Cons:

New/Unknown Brand

Full Metal, but no trades

Where's my Bakelite?

May be too heavy for some

Cheesy fire selector on the side

MP40case1a_med.png

My thanks to the Honorable Mr. Jim Seery, Airsoftforce.com, and Arnies Airsoft.

Slainte!

-G

Edited by Guinness

Although I know the Bakelite's more realistic, I prefer the all black look, personally.

Thanks for the review - This is one of the few AEGs I'd seriously consider getting (not being a skirmisher).

When's the MP44 due out? ;)

Cheers

Now that you've held one can you confirm if this is actually made by S-3 or is it infact one of the first 100 AGM guns that S-3 have bought and rebranded?

Just wondering as I've had a very bad experience with them recently and believe them to be far from a decent trader.

UK prices projected for this also make it about a 200 - 250% mark up on HK retail which is extreme compared to normal markups.

I am in agreement with Sherlock but they haven't even taken the time to rebadge. What is deceptive to me as a walkin is that the model shown has the correct bakelite plastic but what was delivered is as noted above.

The internals are a disaster. Read my review on Filairsoft....in my opinion S-3 is being totally dishonest.

My review: Filairsoft S-3 MP40 review

I am in agreement with Sherlock but they haven't even taken the time to rebadge. What is deceptive to me as a walkin is that the model shown has the correct bakelite plastic but what was delivered is as noted above.

The internals are a disaster.  Read my review on Filairsoft....in my opinion S-3 is being totally dishonest.

My review: Filairsoft S-3 MP40 review

kalbs,

That is a great review and much more in depth than mine- :)

However, I thought it was a 'given' that the internals in the Chinese clones that are being produced and shipped right now were in about the same shape- i.e. wrong type grease or none at all- wrong connectors here and wrong battery charger there, missing shims and sub-par wiring.

The M14 clones are experiencing the exact same thing.

I guess the message is, if you are buying a anything by pretty much any mfg, G&G and the 'big names' included, you are likely going to spend some time repairing or upgrading them before they are truly TM equivalents. The cost offset seems to be worth it from reports I have read so far.

I didn't really expect S-3 to be a full-scale manufacturer anyway I suppose- I mean look at Echo........ :P

I was more going for the aspect of, 'Well, it isn't a TOP in looks, but at least it has a 'workable. mechbox!'

Slainte!

-G

Thanks for the kind words Guiness and I believe we basically have the same comments and expectations. I am just a bit tee'd about the way S-3 has been selling this AEG and for the price they are asking. I have confirmation that the Chinese version is exactly the same AEG as S-3's. Those who pay the $290 are getting ripped off.

Yes, the gearbox was my draw to it as well and after pending so much for that pgc gearbox for my TOP MP40 how could I go wrong?

I have since replaced most of the internals (and lubes) except the gears from my parts box and it is working fine(not game tested, I need more mags) so the added cost has been minimal for me. I fear those who think are getting a TM quality AEG will be very disapointed.

I will visit there shop here in HK and ask for replacement parts...they have not yet responded to my email. I will keep you posted.

-kalbs-

I fear those who think are getting a TM quality AEG will be very disapointed.

True, but it can never be said enough that, at the moment, that's an unrealistic expectation level - The Chinese AEGs are cheaper (and at least original in this case), but that comes at the cost of quality - It will, I suspect, be some years before that changes.

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words Guiness and I believe we basically have the same comments and expectations. 

I will visit there shop here in HK and ask for replacement parts...they have not yet responded to my email.  I will keep you posted.

-kalbs-

kalbs, no worries- credit where credit is due :D

Question though- have you seen the MP40 at other retailers? Or has S-3 somehow cornered the market? I am interested in picking one up for myself, but if there are other sources than S-3 or Airsoftforce I and other's I would guess would like to know.

Thanks for your deep deep deep undercover work! ;)

There are other sources here in Hong Kong. Let me find out a good contact or shop over the weekend. You could contact Brojames on Filairsoft. He may be able to send you one from the Philippines.

See new quote from Repairairsoft who was going to distribute in the UK:

S3 Arms MP40!

Due to the quality and misleading information we recieved from our supplier, Repairsoft have decided not to sell this particular AEG. Repairsoft are not, and have never been associated with S-3 arms and airsoftforce.com.

Edited by kalbs

zeaken-

Yes they are metal.

So here is my effort at following my buddy Schmitty's tutoral-

Thanks for the tips sir!

MP40Art6_med_photo.png

I also did a little 'mod action' myself, I dremelled the plate that covered the back end of the receiver, so that the bolt can travel into the 'safe' position.

MP40BoltFwd1_med_photo.png

Bolt forward, ejection port cover (hop up) closed-

MP40Safe2_med_photo.png

Bolt in safe position, ejection port open-

I also painted the gearbox inside a gunmetal color so you don't notice it as much.

It's really easy to do and a lot of fun customizing the gun yourself!

MP40left2_med_photo.png

MP40Art2_med_photo.png

Slainte!

-G

your Mp-40 looks so badass!! How'd you do those grips it looks great.

I just got mine from boom arms today. For $128.00 what can you complain about. I'll start with the bad things. There is some wobble in the stock in the open position, and the magazine wobbles a little. the black spray paint finish is descent at best. The front sight is not adjustable. There are a couple out place looking philips head screws on the magwell. The only safety is a little recessed switch on the bottom of the grip. No room for anything bigger than a 8.4 mini in the reciever. Not even a 9.6 8cell mini, they're just a little too long. Might possibly be able to stack a nunchuck in there, dunno for sure. Other than these few petty things, i think the guns definately worth the money. Besides the stock and mag, the gun is pretty solid, and rather heavy. The gun is simple to dissassemble, everything about it is simple. It would be really easy to work on. mine shoots a pretty steady 295fps with the hop half way up. Its got an AK hop-up, and it seems to work fine. Even if the internals fail its a great platform for anyone who wants an mp-40 but doesnt want to spend a fortune. I'm sure a re-enactor could point out all the flaws and differences, but for airsoft, it plays the part, and it shoots descent, and its CHEAP.

Edited by WarMonger
your Mp-40 looks so badass!! How'd you do those grips it looks great.

Thank you..:blush:

A buddy of mine that is a fantastic Airsoft Gunsmith wrote a little tutoral-

WW2AA MP40 Realism Mod

Oh yeah- and those "Out of place looking philips screws" are actually in the right place- I thought the same thing and looked them up and on the real-steel that hole had a 'roll-pin' inserted there, so I guess screws was the chicom equivalent- I removed them when I was taking pictures ;)

Slainte!

-G

Edited by Guinness
Thank you..:blush:

A buddy of mine that is a fantastic Airsoft Gunsmith wrote a little tutoral-

WW2AA MP40 Realism Mod

Oh yeah- and those "Out of place looking philips screws" are actually in the right place- I thought the same thing and looked them up and on the real-steel that hole had a 'roll-pin' inserted there, so I guess screws was the chicom equivalent- I removed them when I was taking pictures  ;)

Slainte!

-G

those screws look pretty bad

looks like I will have to wait even longer for a good version of my favorite weapon to come out :Zzz: