Falkland Islands Loadout

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An SLR (self loading rifle) or FN FAL (which was basically the same thing, only the SLR was made under licsense in the UK).

You'll want 58' pattern webbing, its olive drab and buckles together. Very cheap and very easy to get hold of. Cadet units are clearing them out now as they are replaced with PLCE 95' systems, there are literally tens of thousands of unwanted 58' pattern kits in circulation.

Beret is a good choice, if not the helmets of the falklands war werent the Mk6 kevlar type.... this is me stabbing at the dark but maybe by the power of deduction it was the Mk3 that could be totally wrong though.

Thats pretty much it! You'll want falklands war issue DPM as well, its not the same as the stuff in circulation now. There is also 84' DPM which came in just after the falklands war (as a result of the falklands war infact).

edit: beaten to it!

Hmm. British Royal Marines would be cool, but I just pulled out the trusty "20th Century Military Uniforms" book I found that most of Argentinian supply was US Surplus. As I've got a late Vietnam Era US loadout I'll be wearing that. So any suggestions to make it more realistic?

LOL I meant the webbing set. Thanks for the input

Well one doens´t neccessarily need an SLR or FAL. RM and SAS Troops were also using the M16.

What you need depends on the unit you want to display.

The stanard helmet was the MK IV (Turtle Helmet)

The Paras used the "old" MKII para helmet (same as W2) and the first Pattern of new Kevlarhelmets just came into service (These were different to the actual ones).

Both types of helmets were usualy camouflaged with tan burlab and a woolen OD helmet net. There were no DPM helmet covers.

The Beret was prefered during the long distance marches and was worn in combat as well as it was more compfortable then the steelhelmet. But I´ve heard that many troops quickly switched the beret with the steelhelmet once the battle started especcially during the night battles .

Standard Webbing was the Patt 58. Its said that the SAS also tried some Patt 70 Stuff. SAS and RM also used first issues of chestrigs in OD.

Most troops used the DPM Pattern 68 Arktic Windproof Smock and Pattern 60 OD Trousers or DPM Patt 68 Artic Windproof Trousers.

Standard issue boots were the Ammoboots together with a pair of woolen gaiters. (same as used since WW2 ) The Ammoboots proofed to be inadequate for the cold climates Falklands so many clever troopers bought commercial hiking or other military boots prior to the campaign.

Argentine Forces used mostly old OD US

Standard US m1 helmets with OD or sometimes with Woodland helmet covers or even helmtnets and m44 goggles. The standard Combatdress was M65 Jackets and trousers in OD or WL for SF Forces.

According to my knowledge the Argentine webbing was not just simple US Issue as they used nearly the same infantry weapons as the british forces. FAL´s and also Sterling SMG´s. Some M3 Crease Guns and even K98 Mauser Sniperrifles could also be found. But one can identfy some LC Webbing on Pictures.

Check out Ospreys Argentine Forces in the Falklands for some impressions. http://www.amazon.de/gp/reader/1855322277/...648#reader-link

I'm also putting together a falkands / ni / 80's era loadout

So far I have

KA FN FAL with RS L1A1 foregrip

58 pattern webbing

68 pattern DPM (std issue not arctic as I actually want to be able to skirmish in the summer without heat exhaustion)

N.I gloves

To come

Headover or scrim scarf ( I have a shemagh but not exactly period)

Puttees

80's era hiking boots of some description (again comfort over looks)

Beret or wool hat

Wooly Pulley

" ... KA FN FAL with RS L1A1 foregrip ... "

I'm planning on do the same for a Kiwi Vietnam loadout (SLRs were std issue).

Any chance of some pics please of the foregrip and if it's not too much trouble, if you could give dimensions of the foregrip (on the FAL I mean) and of the space between the front sight and the receiver ... the wood foregrips I'm looking at look to be a bit short ...

Cheers in advance :)

Actually according to my Uniform Guide most of the Argentinian supplies were US surplus. Mainly what was left over after Viet Nam. So Viet Nam Webbing with a Steel Helmet and a hooded Parka is acceptable. Along with Leather boots and several bandoleers of ammo...

Ahh Sportsmansguide.com will occassionally have them or check eBay. I found it to expensive in large sizes. Like 30 bucks for a pair of BDU pants plus shipping to the states for a weekend event. You're talking about OP: Imperial Vengence right Jimsin? If you check MAAPR one of the people at the Advertisement Video game was selling several sets you might try asking his name one their...

EDIT:

Does anyone know what weapons the Argentine Army would have carried at this period?

I have my 68 DPM and 58 webbing on the way. I am with Sao, as in just getting regular combats, as I am in Hawaii, and don't want to pass out from the heat. I also have RS L1A1 furniture on the way.

The Argentine army had FALs also, not too sure what other weapons they used.

Archived