M14 SOCOM: Combat Report

28122006107_thumb[3].jpg

M14 SOCOM Combat Report,

While FarEast and others takes you through the looks, the break down and build of the M14 I am going to focus on the game experience of the M14 SOCOM on my home turf; CQB and CQC.

As with all the latest TM's this gun is very nicely built. It is also very very distinctive. Many people gaze at your gun the safe zone and I was answering all sorts of questions from newbies and old timers. One point everyone liked was the flash hider, which was universally loved and coo'ed over.

My notes here come from playing with the gun for the night and experiencing both victory and defeat, which is as good a test as you will get for any new item.

* The gun is long. Even though this is the cut down version of the full M14 we all know and love it is still a long gun. Longer than my guarder gun bag, longer than my metal gun case and longer than my sports bag. This is really only a transport issue as the gun when in play does not suffer from its length. It is similar on length to a M4 Rifle.

* The Rate of fire is very nice indeed. It looked to me to be at the top end of TM stock guns.

* The FPS was 290 approx.

* The BB flight was fantastic and very very straight. You can immediately tell that this gun shoots differently than an M4.

* The noise level was a happy surprise. This is one of the quietest guns I have ever used. The noise was more of a thunk than a bang. With the possibility of attaching a silencer, then you have what is perhaps the best possible Counter-Sniper setup.

* The high caps are massive. 440 rounds goes a loooong way.

* The accuracy of shots is very good. I was hitting a hanging chain at 15 meters consistently.

* Range was excellent with little drop.

* The weight of the gun is the same as a full metal M4. It is not light and this means that single handing is out, as is holding an extended aim position for long periods. By this I mean leaning around a corner, etc.

* I used my Walther Red Cross sight on the top built-in mount and found it to be very easy to scope in. All in all accuracy was a total joy.

* Slinging the gun was not so easy. I tried out a 3 point sling, my Chalker and in the end went with a single point bungy attached to the grip behind the trigger (where your palm would go.) However, due to the problem of having to swap to left and right shoulders I eventually took the sling off. I am going to mod my Chalker to take the gun and enable me to kneel with the gun slung (IE when pistoling.)

* The mags don't like CIRAS M4 pouches very much.

* Playing the rifleman was a new experience for me and not yet one I have mastered. I have better range and accuracy but I don't have the crazy charging ability I commonly use to my advantage. This is great. I was stuck at the top of that game with nowhere to go and now I have another hill to climb skills-wise. In CQB the rifleman hangs a little back from the front and uses his range to his advantage, providing cover alongside the M249 players. He is about finding the best locations and defensively attacking. I hope to be able to expand this role to include more assault tactics, but at Electrowerkz I am limited so this will have to wait until I go back to Longmoor or another more wide ranging Urban site.

* Purchased from UNCOMPANY with 2 highcaps and delivery was £230.

* In straight Urban, like say Spectre, this gun will rule them all.

That's it, a full review will come after I have pimped it and played in Urban as well as CQB.

:D

Basho

I second Basho's skirmish report. I have used mine it two skirmishes so far. Not backyard battles but realistic long ranged skirmishes lasting 6-8 hours.

Anyways I am happy with everything about the gun. The battery that I have is hard to get in without taking off the buttplate though. Thats my only con for the entire gun.

Overall the best TM I have bought (out of my TM G-Spec, TM AK47, and TM AUG).

I second Basho's skirmish report.  I have used mine it two skirmishes so far.  Not backyard battles but realistic long ranged skirmishes lasting 6-8 hours.

Anyways I am happy with everything about the gun.  The battery that I have is hard to get in without taking off the buttplate though.  Thats my only con for the entire gun.

Overall the best TM I have bought (out of my TM G-Spec, TM AK47, and TM AUG).

What battery do you have?

yea, i skirmished with it the other day (a 3-4 hour skirmish around a friend's farm).

the accuracy was pretty good, but it wasnt as good as i expected.

it is INCREDIBLY quiet.

yea, the battery is a little hard for me to get in/out.

still a little longer than i really wanted, but i think that im just being too harsh. i was still able to do a bunch of my suicide charges with it.

overall, though, im REALLY happy with the gun. its just SOOO solid!

onto the G&P midcaps. when i originaly got them, i loaded them up and fired each one in my basement on continuous full auto. everyone of them fed perfectly until the last 10 or so bbs (which they wouldnt feed). unfortunetely, during said skirmish, i could get about 40 good shots before it started skipping. it might be that fact that it was pretty chilly when we were playing, but i found it pretty frustrating. as of now, i've taken apart one of the mags and am going to experiment with ways of fixing them.

-filing the middle spring tab/connector thing a little more

-filing the tab that pushes the bbs

-oiling the *fruitcage* out of it

-possibly putting a straw at the bottom of the spring.

at least they fit well in my M4 mag pouches!

A player at the Werks on Tues was playing with one on the other team. Akthough I diddn't end up on the 'working end' of it, I couldn't belive how quite it was when he fired it off when we left the safe zone for the next game. Serious sniper weapon, with out a doubt.

Would it some under sniper rules with full auto mode removed?

Evansy I have a Intellect 8.4v 3600 mah battery.

I feel your pain Asia. My friend let me use a few G&P M14 Mags... and needless to say they were worthless without modifications...

Anyways I love mine, its practically still brand new, but I have 6 TM M14 Standards atm.

I see no reason to upgrade mine atm. The accuracy is less then the regular TM M14, but not by much at all. Also it is way more solid than the regular TM M14 and it is still manuverable even though it may be longer than some other guns available.

I have totally content with mine.

-Blink

Used my SOCOM in combat for the first time at longmore. I also took my upgraded m14 as well.

In the shoulder I was so suprised how short it felt, yup it's actually a little shorter than the full size m14, but it felt 'very' short. It also feels more solid than the TM M14 which was also a suprise, may have something to do with the sandstone stock. In terms of feel, it was better than the way the G+G m14 and more so the G+G SOC16 feels when you shoulder it, which is nice as IMO the fell of the G+G is the only thing going for it.

I was very suprised how well the forward mounted red dot worked, admittedly I mounted mine so it hung off the back of the mount, not over it, but still it worked well.

The accuracy was awesome, however I only used .25's in it until I was running low on ammo and a friend lent me a mag of .2's, to say I thought the gun has broken was an understatement, but it was just the ammo. If you want one to perform past 25 meters, run .25's through it. if it's real close CQB then I wouldn't have thought there was much difference, but worth it for Urban.

I run it on a 9.6v 2200Ma sub C cell NiMh, great rate of fire and very crisp on single shot.

Very very pleased with it :D

I hope the G&P mids arent that bad cuz I already bought two :(

Plus I hate hi caps and low caps dont have enough capacity for me :(

G&P Midcaps *deffinetely* have problems. There are a few good write ups on what people have done to fix this issue, which basically revolves around spring tension. I just put a 'buffer tube' to compress the spring a bit more behind the spring in front of the rear catch--lose some capacity, for sure, but seems to work fine. Still have about 50 more shots in the mag then a standard.

Excellent field review--field reviews are so much more useful in my opinion then the standard out-of-the-box reviews on fit n' finish. I've had similar experiences with mine--by far the most accurate Tokyo Marui gun I've used stock, although mine is already at AEX getting bumped up.

I'd recommend one to anyone, excellent long arm that is certainly different then the AR's that dominate the scene. The size, handling, weight, and ergonomics are surely not for everyone, and that is something you might want to keep in mind. I would not buy one sight unseen--deffinetely find one to hold and lug around for a few minutes so you at least have some educated decision as to if this is something you'll want to hump for five hours during a skirmish.

Thanks again for the field review.

Steve

Is anybody else getting a weird frying smell when they fire the gun? Is it normal? I just fitted a 8.4v 3300mah battery into the stock (it was a *badgeress* to fit in btw) and test fired it and it has this distinct metallic frying smell to it. I never experienced this small when firing the gun with my 8.4v 1100mah mini battery anyone have a clue what I could mean?

Is anybody else getting a weird frying smell when they fire the gun? Is it normal? I just fitted a 8.4v 3300mah battery into the stock (it was a *badgeress* to fit in btw) and test fired it and it has this distinct metallic frying smell to it. I never experienced this small when firing the gun with my 8.4v 1100mah mini battery anyone have a clue what I could mean?

Yup--smells like cordite to me, actually, must be some sort of coating baking off the newly manufactured parts.

This is my first brand-spanking new TM, so I assumed this was normal. Glad to hear others are getting it too.

Steve

king arms just came out with a set of 5 and a set of 10 110rnd mid-caps for the Marui M14. they're about $50 at redwolf.

sure, they're plastic. but hey, the're also cheap.

Yea but no one knows how they feed yet, care to buy a set and review? ;)

P.S. Glad to hear about the smell, now that I think about it I have experienced this smell in the past which is why I guess I could describe it. I think I smelled it on my CA and my P90 and I was crazy worried for about a week and it sort of went away and I forgot about it until now :headbutt:

I guess what made me worry was that the large batt was such a @#$%& to fit in the stock, at certain points I didnt even think it would fit, and I had to contort the wires in creative and cramped ways to get the battery cover to close. :rolleyes: