It happens. I think it's something to do with the server locking up do to a glitch and needing to be "nudged", or something like that. It usually only lasts a day or so. There's a poll with a bit on it below, but not much.

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer

I haven't been able to access the site at all for 2 days.

I've still been able to see the forum index, though, and it seems as though no new posts have been added.

If, however, I scroll to the bottom of the index and tell the forum to "sort users by last click" it tells me people are viewing various forums.

I looked at the times when people have posted and it DOES seem as though nobody is posting when I can't but I was wondering how come the index says people ARE browsing forums?

it does happen under heavy load sometimes. The error is repaired when it's found (done manually at the moment). It is something that's known about and we're working on making a perm fix for it.

When you mean heavy load, do you mean the amount of members using the site at once? I've noticed that when the database errors occur, there's usually something around 170+ members viewing the boards... :mellow:

Things just get busy and for some reason the table that stores the actual post data (the content of the posts) simply gets locked open occasionally. This means that when the site goes to access it it can't read the file as it is flagged as "in use". It's not a huge error, but it does cause page display errors like you saw when it happens. It' cleared as soon as it is seen by me or someone with the power to fix stuff, but we need to be around to sort it.

You mean the little furry criters, don't you. :D

What exactly is "akmeter". It keeps the page from loading for me alot...

Yeah, everytime I get forum slowness it's always waiting for that bloody Ak thingy.

Why not just get rid of rid. If people what to see current exchange rates, just google it.

I agree with the removal of it. Infact I'll start a poll.

No, no you won't.

Such things are a function of the site. If you have a complaint, take it to Arnie, but it is not something that can or will be added or removed based on a poll of the userbase.

Don't waste your time.

Something I've noticed, don't know if it's relevant. Up until about a week ago, it was just the forums themselves that went down. The rest of the site (review database, classifieds, etc) was fine. Now everything goes.

Oh, and if the akmeter provides advertising revenue, unless the people voting to get rid of it will start paying Arnie, then I can't see what a vote will acheive. ;)

:zorro:

Oh, and if the akmeter provides advertising revenue, unless the people voting to get rid of it will start paying Arnie, then I can't see what a vote will acheive. ;)

:zorro:

I would gladly pay an annual fee of some sort................................................If the site would be accessible at least 23hrs of the day.

It almost not even worth trying to access between 5pm and 9pm (local time).

No, no you won't.

Such things are a function of the site and it's advertising. If you have a complaint, take it to Arnie, but it is not something that can or will be added or removed based on a poll of the userbase.

Don't waste your time.

Ah, didn't know it was there for advertising purposes. I thought it was there just so members can keep track of exchange rates when they buy from Dentrinity and other overseas places. Me stands corrected!

Nooo, akmeter provides the free currency conversion chart in the side bar. If you don't want it you can just disable the sidebar by changing forum skins.

There's no advertising agreement, akmeter is a free service. If you don't want to see it in firefox get adblock plus (a good addon to have anyway) and as said above block it form loading. :)

Nooo, akmeter provides the free currency conversion chart in the side bar. If you don't want it you can just disable the sidebar by changing forum skins.

There's no advertising agreement, akmeter is a free service. If you don't want to see it in firefox get adblock plus (a good addon to have anyway) and as said above block it form loading. :)

How do I change forum skins?