Marushin XM177E2 Plug-Fire Review

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Twitch. They are wonderful collectors pieces. True, the cleaning can be a bit of a pain, but I personally get enjoyment out of cleaning and reloading the cartridges.

They are great fun to shoot though. ;)

Great review mate- lots of detail. I would like to get one of the marushin m16a1s like the one going in the other sales section, but like you said its the accesories that push the price up.

!0 30 round airsoft mags with bbs cost maybe £50 at most (star). !0 PFC mags with rounds and caps would cost sooo much more.

Do you miss it not being able to fire anything?

Also is there any chance of custom building new ones like the mp5 or sa80 using airsoft bodies with pfc internals?

Edited by Lance Jackass

Thanks LJ,

Yeah, when you're buying cartridges, you really only need enough to fill a magazine, if that (unless you get spare mags too).

I miss the fact that it doesn't fire anything. It would be great to have BBs flying out of the front at 1J so you could plink and skirmish with it, but that would also make it illegal in the UK. Working within the UK's legal framework, this is about the most realistic thing you can buy, that isn't going to bring you in to conflict with the authorities.

I know of a couple of people who have actually built a working PFC MP5 prototype and have been looking to put it in to production. However, they are not in a position to produce it just yet, so it may take a while before you can actually buy one.

The PFC internals are very much a part of the gun. Airsoft guns don't have the right trigger linkages, carriers, spring mounts, or any of the other bits that would allow you to put PFC internals in, so it would be very difficult to do. If you were to find a suitably large Airsoft gun though (like maybe the SA80), you could conceivably build a custom inner-skeleton to mount all the mechanics in, and then mount the entire assembly inside the body of the model. If the body is plastic though, it may not withstand the shock of the recoil and break up on you pretty quickly.

My advice would be to get a PFC gun of your own (similar in mechanical operation to the one you are thinking of building) and see how it all works. Then you would be able to make the decision of what needs doing and if you can do it yourself.

Hope that helps... ;)

R22, I've grabbed a few quick snaps of some bits and bobs from Arms magazines that I thought may be of interest:

Here's some from Arms 11 2004, where they were reviewing these fellers:

The Hudson AK47SE (rrp JPY 79,800 - GBP 403)

post-307-1108082476_thumb.jpg

And two American Gun Kids customs of the New MGC M4A1 (afaik rrp JPY 68,000 - GBP 344)

post-307-1108082667_thumb.jpg

post-307-1108082723_thumb.jpg

Also a nice little reality-sheck for all their gratuitous full-auto fun

post-307-1108082952_thumb.jpg

These are from the latest Arms (03 2005), and show what appears to be a get-together by model gun enthusiasts, with the venerable Koba-san making an appearance:

post-307-1108083094_thumb.jpg

And maybe of more interest, a real assortment of strange pfc bits - MP5s, pulse rifle, moderm AK etc.

post-307-1108083269_thumb.jpg

I've also got A nice full-page article showing Hudson's lineup, and a dissassembly article of an unidentified pfc armalite circa. 1997 if you're interested ;)

- Edit for spelling

Edited by Twitch

Excellent review mate, well put together, accurate and informative. x177 was the first pfc model i bought and had to build it myself (which i thought i could do) but it was a *badgeress* to put it together and took a load of adusting to get it working and then only got 3 mags off before i had the same probs as you.

However this did not put me off and i now have a large collection of model guns (all of which i have had built for me) i also have the new MGC M4A1 which is a superb model and i have to say a lot more reliable than the marushin, it only starts to jam as the ammo and barrel bolt get dirty.

If you have any more advise on how to get the marushin to eject the rounds reliably could you post that on.

Once again excellent review.

Twitch: WOW, nice pics. A pulse rifle, MP5s (including an MP5k I noticed - yummy). I think I am living in the wrong country :D

Chances are those are custom builds so I doubt they are going to be appearing on shop shelves round here, but if ANYONE knows where you can get these from, please let me know ;)

claymore: Yey! Another PFC lover :D

Sorry to hear you've had problems too. I have been tweaking and playing with my model to get it to function more reliably and I have learned a lot. The shape of the loading ramp, position of the extractor arm, and even the shape of the magazine's top play a massive part in how well the guns reload (note - slapping the mag hard in to the gun is never a good idea with PFCs, Blank Firers, or Real-Steels alike).

It's going to be a couple of months or so, but when I get finished with the testing, I will post up my findings that will hopefully help everyone get the best out of their models. ;)

Thanks for all the kind comments so far chaps. I'm glad you found it useful.

I've jazzed up my MGC M4 with a few spare parts, and to be honset I think it's beginning to get the "chairborn commando" look I'm after.

Will add a light and perhaps an M203 gas gren. launcher of some brand (have to figure out which one will fit) and then give it the camo treatment.

mgcm4.jpg

Edited by Steingard

It doesn't have a section at the moment. However Arnie is looking in to creating one. Rizzo will also be reviewing his Sig P220 fairly soon (still a few weeks away though), but when he does, we will have the makings of a PFC section :)

Anyone else fancy writing a review of their favourite / most hated PFC gun for Arnie's Airsoft? If you can write in good English, make it interesting yet informative, and include some good photos, your input would be greatfully received. E-Mail or PM Arnie for more details. ;)

Why is that WMH?

I don't see the harm in reviewing PFCs to be honest, as so many airsofters are interested in most things gun-shaped. PFCs represent the next step up in realistic operation and a lot of our members want to know about them (see previous posts in this thread, and the several other PFC threads showing people's interest on the forum).

There aren't any decent unbiased resources that I have found on the web (in English anyway), and as long as PFC topics don't get just shoved in with the Airsoft chatter here, I don't see a problem. I wrote this review to help out fellow Airsofters who want the same things from their hobby that I do. It might not be strictly airsoft related, but neither is the Quiglite, the Traser watch, or the Hotcan, but all are reviewed on this site as they are the kind of things that Airsofters would find useful/interesting/fun. It would be a shame to ignore these things just because they don't fall directly under the tag of Airsoft. ;)

A PFC section would be great, as said there are few places on the net where you can get info on model guns.

I think the interest in PFC is larger than most would think, and will grow more as people get to know about them. I did not know they existed until last year and i have not been able to stop buying since.

I for 1 would be happy to write some reviews although i don't think they will be up to the standard of others on this site.

I think you will be suprised how many will be interested in a PFC section and they go hand in hand with airsoft, i still buy interesting new airsoft models that come out but having smoke sparks and shells flying everywhere and you will soon be hooked. let rip with an ingram and you can't help but love it.

So a definite yes from me for a PFC section

Why is that WMH?

[...]

There aren't any decent unbiased resources that I have found on the web (in English anyway), and as long as PFC topics don't get just shoved in with the Airsoft chatter here, I don't see a problem.

Righto, if it's kept in a special section it would be cool. :)

I have the 'Guns Digest 2005' annual (in Japanese), and they also have a big section on modelguns, so really it makes sense to have them here too I guess. At least I'll be able to read the text and understand what is what here! My point is just that it might get a little frustrating if they got jumbled together.

For the record, I have nothing against modelguns! In fact, I wish that there were more airsoft guns oriented towards the hobbiest (as opposed to the skirmisher) like the modelguns, with more realism and shell-ejecting capability (like my Maruzen M1100 and 1991 TM MP5 Gas).

-WMH

Yup, any ModelGun reviews and chatter will be in ModelGun sections. Arnie has already mentioned to me about creating a PFC / ModelGun subforum just for those models, but for now they only appear in Off Topic. :)

Cheers for the link Twitch - Great movies (love the G36c) :)

I wonder how they get such a big muzzle flash from those models?

• 2 months later...

ALL I CAN SAY ON THIS REVIEW IS.......................WOW.DAM NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING A Marushin Colt XM-177E2 Model Kit

AND WAS LOOKING ALL OVER FOR INFO ON HOW GOOD THESE MODEL GUNS ARE.WELL THIS GUY IS THE GURU OF THIS SUBJECT.I OWN A RARE UN HEARD OF (I HAVE DONE SEARCHES FOR IT AND CANT FIND IT,NO COMPANY MARKINGS)Smith & Wesson M76 SMG Blank gun/ NO PLUG FIRE-8MM SHELL BLANKS! MY GRAMPA LEFT ME.FULL AUTO IS NICE AND VERY LOUD!I ALSO OWN MANY 8-9MM BLANK GUNS, BUT WANT A M4.SO I LOOKED AND LOOKED TO COME ACROSS THE Marushin Colt XM-177E2 Model Kit,I KNOW-I KNOW GET THE FACTORY MADE GUN RIGHT.BUT IM SURE I CAN PUT TOGETHER AND FIX ANY PROBLEMS...THE FLASH HIDER IS PLASTIC BUT I CAN GET A METAL ONE VIA THE 13MM THREADS.SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THE KIT VERSION???? :flamed: