Need help in a sales situation

Pyromaster

Basically, I sold a pistol to someone, got the money and sent the item. The item never arrived, and wasn't posted insured.

I didn't get much money for christmas (just £5 short of a full refund), am skint anyway, am saving up for quite a few different things; so I really want to know if I legally have to pay. I can't really give away all on my chrimbo moneyz :(

All I really want to know is my, and his rights:

. Do I have to refund the money?

. Does the refund have to be the full amount?

. What **** can I get into if I don't pay a refund?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

+1s to all that are really helpful,

thanks,

Nick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you warned the buyer beforehand that the item wasnt post insured and he agreed to take it anyway then you dont have to pay.

Its just bad luck.

If you didnt tell him, then you still dont have to refund him but its pretty out of order if you dont.

I dont know the legal ramifications but it seems pretty simple to me.

As long as you didnt lie then nothing is your fault really. (in this situation at least)

Darkchild

Parcels get lost in the post, it happens.

However, I ALWAYS request SD (special delivery) or at least 1st class recorded, I would NEVER let someone post me a gun with anything less.

If he thought it was being posted with some form of insurance, its your fault,

if he never requested and didnt think the parcel was going with insurance, and didnt mind that, then its his fault.

hbc.

This happened to me, when I sold some warhammer. The package was sent SP with £100 insurance and a proof of posting.

Head over to your local post office, ideally where it was sent from, and ask the teller for a "Lost in Post Claim form" and Fill it in. I got a full return of the value of the goods even though my mum addressed it to house 7 instead of 17!

If you dont have a POP then your absolutely screwed. If you cannot prove the package was sent (hence the need for a POP) so the law requires you to give the buyer a refund of the sale amount, but in order to be in the right they must also prove that the package NEVER arrived, and should head down to their local post office to see if they are holding it there.

May I also ask which country the buyer was in, and the reputation they had?

Regards, 'D5

You are 100% responsible for the loss of the item unless as stated the buyer accepted it being posted non recorded, although he has a very good chance of recovering his funds if he acts against you, it is the sellers responsibility to ensure the goods get to where they are goiong, for the sake of an extra £2 it's really not worth the risk,

I think you are going to end up being totally skint this Christmas :( lesson learned either way.

(also if you sold the pistol, you should never spend the funds before it is received at the other end if you have no means of refunding the buyer if the unspeakable happens)

as the buyer has nto recived the goods or a FULL refund (inc any paypal fees) you MUST refund them.

i know it sucks but i hada gun lost earlier so i refunded the money streait away.

soudns stupid but i ALWAYS send guns via courier, its cheeper and has a higfher rate of isnurance.

anything else gers send recoreded/signed for so there is ALWAYS a POP, and also proof of recipt.

pyromaster. like i said harsh but payup, i had to borrow the money to payback my missing sale as i sold it top buy FOOD. you say your saving for somthing else. just save harder

who knows the gun could get stuck in the mail during the holidays, especially because postmen take breaks too.

but I think it would be a ###### move to sell a gun and the other person doesn't actually get the gun. It's technically the post office's fault, but think about the costs/benefits. You lose an old gun that you don't really care for, but they lose money for absolutely nothing.

Archived