Need help in a sales situation

Pyromaster

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I won't be able to get the money out for another week and a half anyway, so when I get the money, it will be sent.

It was sent like 2.5 weeks ago anyway....

edit: actually, on the note of money; anyone wanna buy my wood catapult thing out of pity?

Its the christmas season so Royal mail would've gotten swamped at the beginning of December because people sending gifts, buying gifts off Ebay, etc. Give it a bit longer a wait to see what happens. In the meantime go to the post office and fill out a lost item form. If the buyer hassles you just say that your looking into getting a refund from Royal mail and hopefully that'll buy you some time.

I had a quick read through the link I posted and from what I could see If the parcel can't be delivered ie wrong/misspelt addess then they'll open it up to find a return address.

Quote Royal mail:-

"If your address isn't inside but the contents are of sentimental, legal or financial value, we hold it for three months. If you don't claim it within that time, we may have to dispose of it. In some cases, we auction these unclaimed items, and donate all of the proceeds to charity."

If they do open it and find a gun then it's most likely to be given to the police and you won't be getting it back.

If you put a return address on the parcel then expect it to be delivered back to you. Contrary to beliefs there isnt a dead letter office at royal mail, I know this because Postoffice customer services is currently renting a floor in my company's building. Also its very hard for them to lose parcels because of there size and the fact that they go through a different system compaired to letters. It's most likely the items been delayed not lost.

Like Thorbard said the cash receipt should be acceptable as proof of postage.

The ones they give out have a list of the postage/postages paid then below that there's a space for 4 item's building name/number and postcode to be written. It states above these:

"Please retain this receipt as proof of posting for the items listed below".

Oh dear.

Like poeple have said the noble thing to do would probably be to refund the money (or part of the money if you can come to an agreement as you've both lost out).

I would have thought that if you had agreed to send the item via an insured method and didn't, then you'll be left liable. However if not then its unlikely you would have to pay if all the facts stated could be proved to be true (i.e. that the buyer can provide proof of purchase and you proof of postage). As all you've got is a non-descript receipt then I'm not sure if that would be acceptable, however it might?

Below is taken from the CAB's website AdviceGuide on the subject:

"Your rights when the seller is a private individual

When you buy something on an internet auction site from a private individual, you have very few rights.

You can't complain if the goods aren't of satisfactory quality or fit for the purpose you bought them. Also, you don't have the right to cancel your order, or any of the other extra rights you get when you buy on an internet auction site from a business trader without having face-to-face contact (see under heading Your rights when the seller is a business trader).

However, you do still have the right to complain to the seller if your goods don't match the description they've given on the website. This applies to second hand as well as new goods. If the goods don't match the description, you may be entitled to compensation from the seller. But you might need to go to court to try and get this, and even if you win your case, the seller might not have enough money to pay you. However, there may be other options for resolving your problem - see under heading Options for solving your problem.

When you buy goods from a private seller, you may not be able to make a claim against them if the goods are damaged or lost before delivery. However, if the seller has offered you postal insurance and you have accepted, they will be expected to make a claim on the insurance on your behalf."

Not sure if that helps but I hopw so :) .

(edited to make it obvious this is only my understanding and not legal fact!)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick "Bump" as I noticed this thread when looking for the original sales thread...

I am the buyer in question here.

I sent this user full payment for this item last year... Via Paypal.

I informed the seller after a week or two that I hadn't received anything.

He begged me to refrain from opening a Paypal dispute - And since it was Xmas after all, I agreed... Not only because it was the Nice Thing To Do, but because I know fine well how crappy the postal service can be around that time.

I did this only with a promise from him that if I didn't have my goods by mid January, he would arrange a full refund.

Since then, he asked if I'd be willing to accept some AK Spetz hicaps as partial compensation, with cash for the balance.

He even stated that he would pay the extra for Special Delivery of the cash as he didn't want to pay me via Paypal for some reason, nor could he pay directly into my bank.

I agreed to THIS as well, since I can always use more hicaps!

All along, I've tried to do right by this guy.

I found out later that he's only in his early teens - He says that his Dad was the one that sent the items, and that his Dad failed to keep the proof of postage.

He never stated the method of postage he intended to use - Perhaps I should have insisted upon S.D. or at least recorded, but I'm so used to buying stuff from Airsoft forums where S.D. for items over £30 is a given that I didn't think to ask.

Today, I received this in my inbox:

Hey, I've decided that since i'm not gonna come across alot of cash this year, and have no legal obligation to pay a full refund, i'll go halfish way. I'll settle and send 2 spetz mags, and £10. PM me your address.

talk to ya soon,

Nick[

Needless to say, I am not amused.

Cheers for the note of support!

Man, all I want is a pair of Dragons!

I found out recently I can buy TWO from Hong Kong for less than I "paid for this one".

But I ain't shelling out for another pistol until I either get this one, or get my refund.

[EDITED - That was unfair. I apologise for the "find it" comment. ]

yo, hold up a second, after paying off a few other debts locally, I really am more skint than I thought, and don't have enough atm to pay.

You said that you wanted the hicaps, and as other people said on this thread, if I can't pay all, atleast pay half.

It's not that I didn't want to pay through paypal, it's that I COULDN'T. How the hell am I supposed to pay a guy £50 with a balance of £0.87.

I didn't want to pay with bank transfer cause I have never used it before, and don't know how it works.

Also, when we talked about the deal with the spetz mags etc. it was know known that I couldn't pay straight away. We agreed that I had until Feb. 1st to pay. You are trying to make it seem like it was all supposed to be posted weeks ago.

I never blamed my dad, and said he never kept the PoP, he never recieved PoP in the first place. You're turning this whole *fruitcage* thing around on me. What's the fact that I'm a teen got to do with anything?!

And in response to post above....*fruitcage* off. How the hell can you get two dragons posted to the uk for >£80<

I'm ###### off at the 'he'll mysteriously find it' comment, I posted the damn thing before christmas, it's BEEN POSTED. ffs

Guest Captain J Wesker

To be fair if you didn't specify a method of postage, then it's as your own fault if it does not arrive. However pyro should have been sensible enough to at least post recorded or tracked so he could claim if it did not arrive. I would say chalk this one up to experience on both your parts, and come up with a halfway point, where neither of you loses out completyely, be it in cash or goods.

Oh, and reverend, this is not a personal dig at you or a suggestion that you have done this, but how do we even know you didn't get the item? That's the problem when there is no tracking or signing at the other end, you can never be sure if the buyer is telling the truth.

I don't see how there's any "half way" about it. Scapey managed to send all the money without problems and now says he got nothing in return.

SOP in this situation is for the seller to take responsibility.

If the situation was reversed and Pyro sent the gun but received no money he'd expect the gun back or the FULL payment. I doubt he'd accept half the payment.

Beyond that, if this was a smart way to go I foresee a future where every man and his dog puts imaginary items up for sale, collects the money then sends half of it back.

Pyromaster: I don't see how you can say "I now have other bills so the guy off the internet gets the sh*tty end of the stick". You owed Scapey a refund BEFORE these other debts and that should have been a priority.

I was under the impression that it was the senders duty to ensure their end of the trade went through. IE: Buyer ensures cash gets paid. Seller ensures item is delivered.

Archived