GB-Tech Distraction Device Filler/Charger Review

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I don't 'play' airsoft but I collect the GBB pistols and other related items. I love my GBBs. I read this article, and I have no idea what either of these products really do, what their purpose is or why I would want them. They look kinda cool though. I think I'll order some just to satisfy my curiosity.

egaus

I read this article, and I have no idea what either of these products really do, what their purpose is or why I would want them. They look kinda cool though. I think I'll order some just to satisfy my curiosity.

egaus

Seriously, you're saying that you read my review without understanding what the two gadgets do? :unsure:

I guess the phrase "gas charger" might have been a bit unclear but I referred to the other one as a "BB holder" several times. I dunno what else I'd need to do to make things more clear.

If you're serious then I guess I need to go away and reconsider how I describe things in future.

• 2 months later...

Ah, it seems that the first batch of the gas charger has completely sold out, and now WGC and Redwolf all have new stock, and they only cost $40 a piece. The most significant change is they corrected the spelling error, and now the front reads "TD MULTI-PORT PLUS DISTRACTION DEVICE" :)

When I then tried to take the fake detonator off, to get access to the filler valve, I found that the entire brass upper was turning. Doh! I guess it had never been tightened properly when it was assembled at the factory.

That issue. Did I mention how sexy these are?

I see. I wouldn't really call that an issue. :P All one needs is to tighten the cap. Well, mine is pretty tight right now, and I don't hear any hissing sound, so guess there's no leak. I really need to get one of those propane adaptor now, and no more expensive canned green gas for me. :D

Yes, you have mentioned how sexy they are. Should've gotten a pair. :P

Ok, so I've got this baby for a full week now.  On last Saturday, I gased it up, and today I noticed that it seems to have some leak around the ends because the rim is a bit moist on either end.  I'm not too sure how bad this is at this point.

Well, first thing to do is empty the gas into pistol mags.

Then drop the gas charger into a bowl of water to see how it's leaking.

I'm surprised people are saying the actual cannister is leaking. I would have thought only the top and bottom valves would be sources of leakage.

Well, first thing to do is empty the gas into pistol mags.

Then drop the gas charger into a bowl of water to see how it's leaking.

I'm surprised people are saying the actual cannister is leaking. I would have thought only the top and bottom valves would be sources of leakage.

Maybe it's not tightly screw on. But it's not the valves. It's where the top and bottom plate connects to the body. I don't think water is necessary since I can already see some moisture, and I made sure I wipe the whole thing clean earlier. I'll try to take a couple pictures when the sun comes out. But I'm not sure if it's a big deal, yet. It sitll holds the gas in it, but the question is how long. :P

That is a bit of a kicker.

Was the FIRST thing I worried about and I was quite relieved that mine showed no sign of leaking.

As for "glue" I'd suggest using either a rad-weld for a car radiator or one of those car tyre puncture repairs.

The dar-weld would be more controllable. You mix them up, pour them into the radiator and they seal as the temperature goes up. On the gas charger you'd have to mix a small amount up, pour it into the charger, put the valve back on, put a bit of gas in it and then heat it up in a bowl of very hot water.

Thing is, a car radiator only works to a few PSI above ambient pressure. Rad-Weld might hold or it might not.

If you used one of those puncture repair aerosols then you know it'll work to much higher pressure but I reckon (never tried one out) it'd be a right mess as you tried to blast it into the charger. Might be better to blast it into a cup of some sort and then pour it into the charger before it sets.

I actually have one of these for my Porsche. Front and back wheels are different sizes so a spare is a bit useless. I've never had a puncture, though, so I dunno how they work. Garages say they make a right mess of the inside of the wheel and tyre so I assume they'd produce a thick sticky mess inside a gas charger too, if you weren't careful.

Each suggestion has ups and downs.

I haven't taken mine apart, but I assume the ends are threaded on the tube and there is some kind of o-ring in there.

To cure a leak, try a bit of teflon tape around the threads or check to see if the o-ring is damaged (and replace it)

Could be that there is some porosity in the metal, also. Epoxy might cure that.

I haven't taken mine apart, but I assume the ends are threaded on the tube and there is some kind of o-ring in there.

To cure a leak, try a bit of teflon tape around the threads or check to see if the o-ring is damaged (and replace it)

Could be that there is some porosity in the metal, also.  Epoxy might cure that.

Yes, it is. staticzero took his apart and posted a picture in the picture of grenades thread. So far, it doesn't seem to be too serious, but after I used up the gas in mine (or when it's all leaked out), I'll unscrew it and check.

OK I just popped mine open. Took me a while to get a nice grip on it and somehow I manage to open mine up. I couldn't do that with some of the other ones thinking they might be glued on somehow. Thanks for the ideas, I try the easy teflon tape way before I move on to the messy stuff.

• 3 months later...
OK I just popped mine open. Took me a while to get a nice grip on it and somehow I manage to open mine up. I couldn't do that with some of the other ones thinking they might be glued on somehow. Thanks for the ideas, I try the easy teflon tape way before I move on to the messy stuff.

I have mine and it works fine. I have known these to leak but i think the new batch has been fixed. make sure that everythign is tightly screwed together before you fill it the first time then when the gas goes into it it expands everything and makes it even tighter. If that doesent work then epoxy will work on the out side only. you dont want to use the tire stuff as taht makes a mess and could cause the fill valves to get pluged and that will be a mess to fix. try in the USA jbweld that is a 2 part epoxy for metal or pink lady will work well and will never come off but you might have to paint those to make them look like they are apart of the charger.

• 1 year later...

I just got mine last week from Redwolf, and I am running into the same problem that people were talking about 1.5 years ago. What have people done to fix this? I am not sure if the design has changed at all in 1.5 years, so if so any ideas or help would be appreciated. Right now mine is leaking between the top endcap (not the brass part) of the grenade and the main body part. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom