Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just plumped for a 9.6v 3300Mah Nimh, just hope it dont chew up my ICS MP5. Also got a TLP 15 charger, which beeps all the time :D but only goes down to 0.5A/500mAh so am just doing an 11 hr charge on it.

Does that sound ok?

Shall I always charge it at that current or increase it later for a faster charge?

Ta

Nad

P.S. Just read another thread and on slow charge it says it only does 250mAh charge???

During use, the characteristics are similar, but not identical. If we split the life of the battery into 10 equal chunks, it would look like this during normal use...

(10 = full battery, 0 = empty)

Ni-CAD

10 = 100%

9 = 99%

8 = 98%

7 = 97%

6 = 96%

5 = 94%

4 = 90%

3 = 78%

2 = 60%

1 = 30%

0 = 1%

Ni-MH

10 = 100%

9 = 96%

8 = 95%

7 = 95%

6 = 95%

5 = 95%

4 = 95%

3 = 94%

2 = 94%

1 = 90%

0 = 1%

As you can see, the Ni-Cad packs start strong and stay that way quite nicely. They then start dropping in power output fairly soon after the half-way mark. They then slowly lower their output until there is nothing left. Result = Powerful through the first half of its charge, but then the Rate Of Fire slows down gradually until dead.

The Ni-MH packs start very well, but almost immediately dip in power by a very small amount. They then keep that power level until the battery is practically dead. Result = A very predictable battery that may not quite have the same "ooomph" behine it as the Ni-Cad, but keeps going faster for longer. As the battery finally dies, the AEG will power down VERY quickly with little warning.

The so called "smart" chargers or chip controlled chargers shoud know when the charge is full. I personnaly will be making a stop by my local RC hobby shop to pick up my charger and see where I can get custom batteries built or the parts and do it myself.

Hey all. I've read the all the posts including the formula for calculating charge time however, I still need clarification on something.

I just picked up two Sanyo 2400mAh NiCd large packs. My charger is a cpu controlled digipeak charger than can charge anywhere from 150mA all the way up to 5A.

I would like to condition these batteries properly but was wondering what the ideal initial charge time should be. Based on the formula I can have the charge time take anywhere from about 45 minutes up to 22 hours.

Should I set it to charge at the lowest setting (150mA) for initial conditioning or somewhere in between?

Yup, the first charge always benefits from a slow, extended charge. 150mA to 250mA is a good level for the initial charge. Remember that your first charge should be a little longer than regular charges too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So on that assumption using a 7.2 volt battery is best for your gun then?  Would a 7.2 cause a problem on a CA m4 (steel gears)?

well, i personally use Ni-Cd 7,2V 1900mAh with my upgraded TM MP5SD5 (slightly over forum limit) with no problems...of course, the ROF is not that high, but since I usa to shoot mainly on semi, I dont mind that. of course, sometimes the latency between pulling the trigger and actual shoot is too long, but then i know it is time to charge my battery.

I also know a guy who si using same battery in a gun way over the limit with no problems encountered...TM gun also, so no experiences with CA guns

my battery is usual racing pack and it was a lot cheaper than usual airsoft battery packs

Ni-Cad batteries will discharge automatically over time, which can result in battery damage if done repeatedly.  Ni-MH batteries do the same, but they hold their charge for a much longer period of time (months as opposed to a week or so).

I wasn't aware Ni-MH's held their charge so long, good to know. It can be difficult to try to charge multiple hi capacity batteries in the day or two before a big op. Now I know I can spread it out over more days to be sure they're all charged and should still have a good charge.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm partially confused on the initial first charge rate too. I bought a 8.4 1700maH Nicd battery today along with a trickle charger thats rated at 320mA for 7.2/8/4 batteries

It also has a chart saying for a 1700 battery thats fully discharged should take 6 - 7 hours, which is about right for that calculation.

However this is its first charge, so do i leave it longer, if so how much longer? or is that 6 - 7 hours for the initial charge??

thanks in advance

Lee

My Tech thread http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=223 seems quite popular it probably needs another update but most is ok :)

Initial charge of a new battery should be 1 tenth capacity for 14 to 16 hours ( 1700 would be 170 mAh or as close as you can get ) from a discharged state, NiMh always come with some charge in them which should be discharged. It should be done if possible without Peak Detection, if you have a clever charger then us the NiCd setting on a NiMh but don't get the battery more than gently warm.

This first charge is the most important to get right 100 %

If possible use slow charging for later charges dont over heat the cells.

OK how long would an 8 cell large type battery take to charge the first time?  also, on the subject of batteries, my friend has a gun made for a mini battery, but when he hooked up my alarge one to his gun, it seemed the RoF increased a lot.  Is that true or were we wrong?

It would depend on the mAh of the battery and output of the charger.

Was the large battery of the same voltage? If so, chances are it has a higher discharge rate so able to get more power out than the mini battery.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong.

1650 maH Sanyo 9.6v battery pack

500mA 120v charger

1650/500 = 3.3 x 1.4 = 4.62 hours of charging?

Correct. :)

I own a charger where indicates: Pri: 230V~50Hz 60mA

Sec: 9V----500mA 4.5VA.

And I own a 9.6V 1100mha battery. Then, what is the charging time? Im confused because I dont know what all those numbers mean.

Help!!

Ok, "Pri: 230V~50Hz 60mA" is your input voltage (what the charger takes from the wall socket).

"Sec: 9V----500mA 4.5VA" is your output voltage (what the charger gives to the battery) and it is this figure that counts. Unfortunately, I don't know how to use VA (Volt-Amps) figures and have asked others a couple of times on these boards with no reponses. The charger is designed for charging 9V packs (which are not used in Airsoft AEGs) and one would assume that they charge at a rate of 500mA (providing we ignore the 4.5VA bit which if my theory is correct means that you get 1 amp at 4.5 volts, so doubling the voltage to 9 would halve the current to 0.5A = 500mA. This backs up the original figure of 500mA). So, the forumula should still work with these figures -> Charger Voltage = 9v, Charger Rate = 500mA.

Sorry to drag this on but today I bought my first AEG FINALLY yay!! Being a real noob I fast charged my batteries the first time. :( The pack is 8.4V 600mAh and I have the fuzzy logic charger set at 600mA. It took 1 hour to fast charge until it beeps.

Then I read this thread and thought OMG.. seriously can someone tell me if I just killed the 100% condition of my batteries or is that cumulative too? I will be real careful next time just that I can't stand this feeling of not knowing the approximate rounds I can get out of 1 pack. Thanks.

yeah, this does not seem to have been mentioned before,

is it OK to fast charge a battery on the first charge?

i put mine on trickle for first time but i just wondered for any future batterys.

(8.4v) 3300mah / 130ma = 25.38

25.38 * 1.4 = 35.53

35.53 hours, thats a hell of a long charge!

Bob

Archived