Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

Hello, Im new to airsoft and battery charging in general so I looking for some advice. I have the MRC SuperBrain 960 and a 9.6v 1400mAh NiMH. I have the charger set at 0.9A and 30mv, is this good? Can i go faster without damaging the battery? What do you think the optimal settings should be?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, Im new to airsoft and battery charging in general so I looking for some advice. I have the MRC SuperBrain 960 and a 9.6v 1400mAh NiMH. I have the charger set at 0.9A and 30mv, is this good? Can i go faster without damaging the battery? What do you think the optimal settings should be?

If you're in no particular hurry.. 0.9A would be just fine. To say the least, it would not tend to generate much heat. You may increase to 1.4A and shorten the charging time.. but there'd be noticeable increase in how fast the cells get hot. As long as the battery temperature does not go into "high fever" (40+ deg. C) the risk of damage would be low. If you'd rather be safe than fast, then I would suggest charging at lower than 1A (but not lower than 0.5A otherwise the peak voltage detection will not work)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Question from a Vetbie.

Sorry if this is covered in the thread but at 32 pages it's a little tl;dr

I've been Softing for about a a decade, i know the guts of most guns like the back of my hand, but know very little about batts chargers etc etc.

I know about voltage (8.4.v being slower than 9.6v etc) and a little about capacity (hight mah providing longer battery life and more "push" behind the voltage, thus higher RoF at Higher mah).

However I've been using a ProPeak varipulse for a few years now. And it seems to have chewed up my NiMHs.

Basically I charged both my NiMHs a few days before a skirmish on fast charge and found at the skirmish they'd near enough discharged.

However next skirmish i Slow charged one overnight, and fast charged one a hour before that (approx 20hrs before skirmish)

The Slow charged one had almost nothing in it, (enough for a few test shots) the Fast Charged one lasted most of the day, not all mind, certainly not as long as i thought it would, probably got about 8-10 midcaps off with it (110 ish rounds per mag 880 to 1100 rounds)

The AEG was a GnG SA80 fitted with a 110 spring.

The Batts themselves are Intellect 1400mah 9.6v Mini type, and when i first got them they were excellent, lasting all day with a really good RoF.

I've ordered two new batts (identical ones) but can anyone offer any help as to what may have happened? is it batts or charger problem, whats the best way to get the most out of the new batts?

Also does anyone have experience with TLP or BOL chargers? as thats what i'm looking to get

Cheers

..I've been using a ProPeak varipulse for a few years now. And it seems to have chewed up my NiMHs.

Basically I charged both my NiMHs a few days before a skirmish on fast charge and found at the skirmish they'd near enough discharged. However next skirmish i Slow charged one overnight, and fast charged one a hour before that (approx 20hrs before skirmish)

The Slow charged one had almost nothing in it, (enough for a few test shots) the Fast Charged one lasted most of the day, not all mind, certainly not as long as i thought it would, probably got about 8-10 midcaps off with it (110 ish rounds per mag 880 to 1100 rounds)

The Batts themselves are Intellect 1400mah 9.6v Mini type, and when i first got them they were excellent, lasting all day with a really good RoF.

I've ordered two new batts (identical ones) but can anyone offer any help as to what may have happened? is it batts or charger problem, whats the best way to get the most out of the new batts?

I would suggest that you subject the two battery packs to the exact same charging conditions.. slow charge both.. or fast charge both.. and then compare the resulting performance. That way, you'd have better idea if your charger is working properly at slow and/or fast charge.. or either one of your batteries has gone weaker than the other.

Also does anyone have experience with TLP or BOL chargers? as thats what i'm looking to get

I used to think that it did not really matter.. that both chargers were probably of the same generic circuit design and that they perform roughly same. Over the past years, I've heard of many complaints about the BOL.. mostly about it's faulty discharge function laying waste to many battery packs. I've been using a TLP 940E, bought 2nd-hand, over the last 5 years and I've had little reason (actually none) to complain about it's performance and results.

Just over a week ago, we ran an airsoft shooting range in a gunshow.. and we were charging batteries almost round-the-clock. On the first day.. we used a BOL charger to fast charge the new and almost-new 1100-1500mAh packs that came with the guns. Almost just as soon as we sent the AEGs out with freshly charged and quite warm batteries, they'd be back refusing to turn over. So I decided to bring over my old reliable TLP 940E.. and VOILA! no more problems. The batteries charged properly, with less generated heat, and they held the charge longer. I can't really say why.. they just did. So we set aside the BOL unit for remaining 4 days of the airsoft demo.

Please take note, the BOL-vs-TLP comparison was made between same class 1-8 cell analog charger.. NOT the digital variable pulse or fuzzy logic models.

If it would make any matter to anyone.. I find the simpler TLP 940E (with peak voltage detection, able to charge up to 8 cells) more reliable than the more advanced TLP 15 (with its fuzzy logic and capability to charge up to 15 cells).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Okie dokie, I've had a intellect 9.6v 3600mah Large NiMh battery for a while (3 years?) and all of a sudden, it won't take a charge. The battery used to last a few days, but on the 14th, I had a half day OP, and it only lasted till the end of that. And today, I gave it a full charge and it lasted 10 minutes into the skirmish, and from the get-go the ROF was significantly reduced. then when I got home, I test-charged it and it lasted 3 shots on semi. I'm using those little blue chargers and I've never had a problem with it before. I tried other batteries, mini type mostly, and they all seem to work pretty good. So, is my battery dead, or is it a charger problem. I haven't tried another charger yet.

Okie dokie, I've had a intellect 9.6v 3600mah Large NiMh battery for a while (3 years?) and all of a sudden, it won't take a charge. The battery used to last a few days, but on the 14th, I had a half day OP, and it only lasted till the end of that. And today, I gave it a full charge and it lasted 10 minutes into the skirmish, and from the get-go the ROF was significantly reduced. then when I got home, I test-charged it and it lasted 3 shots on semi. I'm using those little blue chargers and I've never had a problem with it before. I tried other batteries, mini type mostly, and they all seem to work pretty good. So, is my battery dead, or is it a charger problem. I haven't tried another charger yet.

Sounds like old age to me man, three years is a good life span for batteries from what I gather. Altho I had a similar issue with my intellect that was basically brand new, it quits all of a suddenly with no signs of it dying (decreased rof etc.) So I have to charge it several times to get it fully charged...weird indeed. Of course I'm using a generic cheap "smart charger", in that it has no settings, just plug and wait till the light goes green. Its worked for all the batteries I've had. My big 3600mah crane batter, my little 8.4 and 9.6v's that ran my CA for a couple years. Only issue ive ever had is with my current intellect.

At any rate, I have been planning on picking up the really nice charger i found that will charge both lipolys, nimh, and Nicd batts. Of course i owned a low priced balance charger you can find at any rc shop and it worked just fine. So my point is what type of smart charger should i pick up at some point in the future?

Also let me get this straight, to charge a 9.6v 1400 mah battery you simply place the smart charger dials to 9.6v and 1400 mah correct? Or are tere other things that need to be dialed as well?

depends what charger you have. some have thermal cutoffs, peak detection etc etc,

most will charge nimh/cd with the input of charge current, as voltage on them increases

with charge.

where as lithium cells need the special charge of constant current upi to voltage, then constant

voltage to capacity. so you have to enter the voltage and charge current for these.

rc chargers are the ones to look at, i use electrifly triton 2 to charge everything in the house

except laptop and mobile phone

depends what charger you have. some have thermal cutoffs, peak detection etc etc,

most will charge nimh/cd with the input of charge current, as voltage on them increases

with charge.

where as lithium cells need the special charge of constant current upi to voltage, then constant

voltage to capacity. so you have to enter the voltage and charge current for these.

rc chargers are the ones to look at, i use electrifly triton 2 to charge everything in the house

except laptop and mobile phone

Yes, the charger i mentioned to do it all was an RC charger, and only ran 30 or so dollars at that, minly because it did not come with the power brick. At any rate I am comfortable just owning two different chargers for the time being anyway.

Also, I found out the hard way lipos need those special balance chargers....killed my first one.

My intellect 9.6v 1600 mah nunchuck battery seems to have really crappy performance recently. I tested this on three guns, so I know it is the battery, not the guns.

Could a cell be dead? After taking my battery out after 3 months of no use, there was zero charge in the battery. Could this also have been the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Onyx 210 battery charger? I'm trying to charge a 9.6 1200 mAh battery. It fast-charges for about 12-15 minutes, delivering around 280-390 mAh before dropping down to trickle...I think. I scroll through the data screens and it shows 0 Amps being sent to the battery, the amount of mAh sent on the speed cycle, then the time it took to charge on speed cycle...I don't think it's charging the battery any more. Do I just have a bum battery or am I doing something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any experience with the Onyx 210 battery charger? I'm trying to charge a 9.6 1200 mAh battery. It fast-charges for about 12-15 minutes, delivering around 280-390 mAh before dropping down to trickle...I think. I scroll through the data screens and it shows 0 Amps being sent to the battery, the amount of mAh sent on the speed cycle, then the time it took to charge on speed cycle...I don't think it's charging the battery any more. Do I just have a bum battery or am I doing something wrong?

Is the battery allmost flat/empty when you tryed to charge it ?

Is it this charger ?

SPECIFICATIONS

AC input:

110V AC 60Hz

DC input:

11 to 15V DC, built-in lead with alligator clips

Battery types:

4 to 8 NiCd or NiMH (4.8 to 9.6V)

Battery capacity range:

750 to 7500mAh

Fast charge current:

0.8A, 1.5A, 3A, 5A linear (40W)

Fast charge termination:

peak detection

Fast charge safety timer:

90 minutes

Peak sensitivity:

8mV for NiCd, 4mV for NiMH

Auto-trickle current:

1/20 fast charge setting

Controls:

3 push buttons

Display type:

7-segment custom LCD with blue backlight

Audible tones:

indicate start, stop, errors

* Output connections:

built-in lead with standard connector, built-in jack for charging 4 or 5 cell Rx packs

or Tx packs

Protective devices:

solid-state reverse polarity and current overload

Case size:

5.75" x 5.25" x 1.81" [146 x 133 x 46mm]

Weight:

19.2 oz. [543g]

* Adapter - Standard to Deans® Ultra® male available separately (GPMM3131)

* Adapter - Standard to Vendetta, MiniQuake, RS4 Battery available separately (DTXC2210)

SPECIAL FEATURES

• A tiny, lightweight built-in switching AC power supply is great for portability and cramped pit areas, yet can still deliver

• Selectable charge currents of 800mA, 1.5A, 3A, and 5 amps.

• A custom peak detection system for NiCd and NiMH batteries, with auto-trickle.

• Pushbutton controls, audible tones, and a custom LCD with backlight aid in setup and use.

• LCD shows battery voltage, charge current, time, and capacity, battery type, and more.

• A built-in jack is included for charging 4 or 5 cell NiCd or NiMH receiver batteries for nitro models – even transmitter packs!

• A DC power lead with alligator clips easily connects to many 12V DC power sources.

• Solid-state reverse polarity and current overload protection ensure trouble-free operation.

2. Every time the charger is connected to input power, the default setting is to charge a NiMH battery at 5 amps. If this

setting matches your battery and needs, skip to STARTING CHARGE below. Otherwise, to adjust the battery type and

charge current settings, proceed as follows…

• 1 month later...

Delta-V, its basically the point at which the cells in the pack wont take any more charge and the charge has to lower the charge current/ voltage- at which point the charge is completed. Thats assuming the packs havent 'false peaked'- if they are still cold/ cool and the charge time seems somewhat short in relation to the charge current vs pack's mah capacity, then give 'em a minute to rest & then restart the charge. The packs should be quite warm when fully charged, but not hot as such.

Also known as delta peak detection.

As NiCD and NiMH batteries charge, their voltage increases steadily. Just after the battery is full, the voltage dips slightly. The charger detects this, and either switches to trickle charge or (for NiMHs) stops charging altogether.

Stu.

• 4 months later...

Hey fellow, I have tiny little question.

I have this smart charger

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=24661

And just bought a new 9.6v 1600 mah intellect Ni-MH battery and I was wondering how I was supposed to do the first charge if the charger stops automatically when the battery is full. The charger is great and all, it works at at 0.9A or 1.8A constant current, but it always stop charging once the battery is full (according to the description it keeps giving about 50mah). And I do not have any other charger.

Also, how long is the battery supposed to be charged the first time?

how I was supposed to do the first charge if the charger stops automatically when the battery is full.

You just answered your own question ( use the 0.9amp setting ).

Using the 0.9amp rate, it should take about 2 hours to do a full charge- the battery will start to warm up once its nearly full, so before it gets hot you should turn off the charger & remove the battery, if it ( the charger ) hasnt beeped or whatever to say the battery is full.

You just answered your own question ( use the 0.9amp setting ).

Using the 0.9amp rate, it should take about 2 hours to do a full charge- the battery will start to warm up once its nearly full, so before it gets hot you should turn off the charger & remove the battery, if it ( the charger ) hasnt beeped or whatever to say the battery is full.

Thanks man.

And will 2 hours be enough? I thought it had to be charged for longer than that. Or do I plug it again after the battery cools down?

JTFC....

Charge time = capacity of battery ( mah ) divided by charge current ( 1 amp = 1000mah remember ), so:

1600mah / 900mah = 1.77 hours- 1 3/4 hours in English :P

Its not an exact science like I said before, the exact charge time will depend on how much charge is left/ already in the battery, and the speed at which you charge the battery; a higher charge current will heat up the battery more and quite often leads to a 'false peak', meaning the charger shuts off earlier than it should. A slower charge rate will heat the battery up less and allow it to take more of a charge; regardless though, once it starts to get 'quite warm', you should turn off the charger whether it says its finished charging or not, otherwise the battery will overheat and become damaged.

JTFC....

Charge time = capacity of battery ( mah ) divided by charge current ( 1 amp = 1000mah remember ), so:

1600mah / 900mah = 1.77 hours- 1 3/4 hours in English  :P

Its not an exact science like I said before, the exact charge time will depend on how much charge is left/ already in the battery, and the speed at which you charge the battery; a higher charge current will heat up the battery more and quite often leads to a 'false peak', meaning the charger shuts off earlier than it should. A slower charge rate will heat the battery up less and allow it to take more of a charge; regardless though, once it starts to get 'quite warm', you should turn off the charger whether it says its finished charging or not, otherwise the battery will overheat and become damaged.

Thanks man, that's what I wanted to know.

If I get transportation I'll be testing it next weekend.

Archived