Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

Hi

I have recently bought a 9.6V 2000mAH NiMh saddle battery for my M15A4.

I'm after a good charger for it and I've been looking at the ProPeak 2500VP. I've has a look at the spec sheet and read a little about it, and there seems to be some conflicting information.

The spec sheet says that it will not fast charge a 9.6V NiMh battery, only trickle charge it, and at a rate of 130mA. For a 2000 mAH battery, we are looking at about 21 hours. On the FireSupport website it says: Slow/Fast /Charge 4.8~9.6v NiCad/Ni-MH Packs AC Input

Also, the rate of charge is commonly recommended as 0.2 x battery capacity. This would mean a charge rate of no more than 400mA. The lowest fast charge setting on this charger is 500mA. If this is the case, this charger should not be used to charge batteries less than 2500mAH. I imagine that there are many people with of batteries below this rating and a lot of airsoft websites are selling these chargers. If what I have said above is correct, isn't this a little irresponsible?

A couple of other questions:

As the first charge of the battery should be longer than normal, is there a way to override the delta peak sensing on this charger? Otherwise this would not be possible.

How to you set the voltage, does it auto-detect it?

I would appreciate information on this from anyone who has had knowledge or experience of this charger.

Cheers

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry i cant help with your questions qaryevs, ive got similar questions too.. I think there really should be clearer instructions with some of the more complcated chargers!

OKies so i got myself a monster battery (8.4v 3300 mAh) I have a TLP 4000c Pulse charger which gives me the option to to fast or slow charge, also it gives me a dial which reads 1/110mAh , 1.5/400mAh , 2/600mAh , 2.5/800-1200mAh , 3/1400mAh , 3.5/1700mAh , 4/2400-6000mAh.

Now the question is what setting to charge my monster battery? I have talked to guys in airsoft scotland before about this and they say they just leave the battery on 1/110mAh fast charge. Slowcharging is somewhat irritating since the charger bleeps once every 6 secs while doing its charge cycle! So you can imagine i prefer to use the fast charge when possible.

I did charge the battery pack earlier on the 4/2400-6000mAh setting and it finshed in around two hours.. i thought that was a little quick personally? (bearing in mind this charger use's delta peak cut off)

Does anyone have a similar setup to this or even the same charger?

All advice is welcome.

Oh and on a side note,since my spring upgrade the rate of fire with this battery is somewhat impressive again!

hey people

there is NO SUCH THING as the memory effect or battery memory!

i don't see why people think that

Please don't post unless you can back what your saying up, it is pointless heresy unless you reason it away...

DOES THE MEMORY EFFECT EXIST? Yes and No

The so called memory effect is the effect of your battery remembering where you discharged it a previous time, hence reducing your total charge.

Does this exist? No. This is merely an observation that has led to the largely spread term.

What does happen... Obviously something happens...

Voltage Depletion (or Voltage Depression) - "Voltage depression is a problem with NiCd batteries and, according to some sources, also with NiMH, and it doesn't affect the battery capacity much at all. Rather, the battery voltage drops unusually quickly as it discharges. Gadgets that monitor their battery voltage therefore think the battery's flat earlier than they should. There may be lots of capacity left at the slightly depressed voltage, but the gadget doesn't know that and flashes its "low battery" warning." -Dan's Quick Guide To Memory Effect

"The capacity loss due to long-term continuous overcharging is caused by loss of contact of the cadmium hydroxide particles with the negative plate. Electron microscope pictures show that overcharging causes the particles to grow larger, especially at higher temperatures. This reduces the surface contact with the pores of the negative plate." -Sci.Electronics FAQ

I won't reitereate what these sites (and many others) already say. But don't ignore the fact that something happens to NiCd batteries which make them seem to lose capacity, that this problem is associated with the term "Memory Effect" by the general public, and come out and say everyone is wrong.

A 7.2 probably couldn't turn the gear box over, 8.4 is a minimum for nearly all airsoft guns.

A good condition high amp 7.2v pack can actually operate stock AEGs. I use unbranded (generic) Made-in-China 7.2v 1200mAh battery pack to power stock (rental) guns. ROF is just noticeably slower. I've actually even run a TM AK47 with an M130/Super Torque gearset combo using a relatively new sub-C 7.2v 2000 mAh RadioShack RC battery pack.

I have two Ni-CD batterys that I have had in storage fully charged for a year. How do you think they will be effected by that?  Thanks.  :)

I started off-road RC racing back in 1981.. almost 10 years before the advent of the first AEG.. and some 15 years before AEGs became just about everyone's primary skirmishing piece. I quit the RC scene in the mid-80s and mothballed my cars and battery packs. When I got my FAMAS around '91, I simply dusted off my old racing packs and used them. Those batteries served me well till past the turn of the millenium.

As I often store my batteries right after use.. they're often nominally discharged, which is the state it is advised to store rechargeables. I have, in some instances, stored packs in charged state (but not very long, and not often). Still, I guess I could say those cells/packs lasted all the way to their given 1000 charging cycles.. and then some.

If anyone could help me!

I have a 600mah 8.4v mini niCd battery which is brand new. Ive heard you have to charge them longer first time, but i am not sure by how much longer.

The charger i have is a really wierd 'Winstar' charger that has a standard output of 1000mA, and a fast output of 1300mA (a tad fast no?). According to the calculation it would take something like 0.5 hours to charge it, but how long should i charge it for the first time?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im going to be recieving a Sanyo 9.6v 3600 MaH NiMh battery in the next couple of days. i've read this thread and the general concencus for first, conditioning charge is: Lowest mA for longest amount possible for the battery. My charger has the settings: 50mA, 100mA, 200mA, 300mA, 400mA, 500mA and 600mA. Now using the formula, with the mA being 50 (for first charge) i should charge for 100.8 hours :huh: now this is a problem as its timer only goes up to 8 hours. Some help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers, Radec

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, ive got a NiCd only trickle charger and i am just wondering whether its a bad idea to try and charge a NiMh battery with it. Ive seen on some sites after a google search that they say no because once the battery has been fully charged the NiCd charger will screw up the battery (very technical term there) and that to me it seems as long as you charge for the correct amount of time and do not leave it to charge over then everything should be ok.

What would be the difference in how a NiCd only charger works and a NiMh one? and will i fruitcage up my battery?

thanks

Correct.  :)

Ok, "Pri: 230V~50Hz 60mA" is your input voltage (what the charger takes from the wall socket).

"Sec: 9V----500mA 4.5VA" is your output voltage (what the charger gives to the battery) and it is this figure that counts.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to use VA (Volt-Amps) figures and have asked others a couple of times on these boards with no reponses.  The charger is designed for charging 9V packs (which are not used in Airsoft AEGs) and one would assume that they charge at a rate of 500mA (providing we ignore the 4.5VA bit which if my theory is correct means that you get 1 amp at 4.5 volts, so doubling the voltage to 9 would halve the current to 0.5A = 500mA.  This backs up the original figure of 500mA).  So, the forumula should still work with these figures -> Charger Voltage = 9v, Charger Rate = 500mA.

<_< According to OHMS law VoltsXAmps = Watts ,so it may well be that the 4.5VA notation on the charger is the consumption of the device in WATTS at least that's what I

have always regarded it to be , hope that's helpfull , good thread guy's :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got a quick question if anyone is checking this post. I have searched but i cant seem to find the answer.

Does it matter which order you plug the battery into the charger and plug the charger into the wall??? Is it better to plug the charger in first or the battery, or does it even matter??

Ok, I'm not about to go through like 11 pages of stuff so here's my question.

I got a new 600mAh 8.4V battery for my G3 SAS and as usual i charged it overnight and more. But when i took it to plink in my 'garden' I noticed i was getting an extremely ###### ROF, something like 7 rounds per second, i could literally

pull the trigger in semi and release it before it actually let the shot off.

What could it be.

So discharging is now bad?

Well I don't know.

Just about everyone says you should discharge, but nobody has given me a good scientific reason why. I think the situation is:

With the very old NiCad's you had to discharge, then the batteries improved and you didn't have to do it any more. But everyone was so used to doing it that they carried on telling noobs to discharge, who then passed it on to the next generation of noobs.

I've been following Dans Data for about 8 years and his articles are always well researched, based on proof rather than word of mouth. I don't discharge my batteries, but I've talked to people who would sell their own sister rather than not discharge.

In the end it's up to you. Get all the info you can.

Ok, I'm not about to go through like 11 pages of stuff so here's my question.

I got a new 600mAh 8.4V battery for my G3 SAS and as usual i charged it overnight and more. But when i took it to plink in my 'garden' I noticed i was getting an extremely ###### ROF, something like 7 rounds per second, i could literally

pull the trigger in semi and release it before it actually let the shot off.

What could it be.

You probly fried a cell in it so its really only 7.2v or even 6v. Yo umight want to get a meter of some sort and check your voltage coming out of it.

Anyways the problem that I have is with my battery im not sure how long to charge it. It is a NICAD 9.6v 1700mah battery, I have a TLP Expro II intellcharge/ w discharge function. On the charge there is fast and slow and discharge and some other with the mode select by the number of beeps. Im sure you know all that.

Im not sure how much power to give out which i can adjust with a knob that starts at 0.5 - 5.5. If anyone can help me by means of how long my condition charge should be and regular charge should be and what to change the knob to.

On the picture to the right is my charger post-13811-1137278119_thumb.jpg

Archived