Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...76&SSAID=118069

2 mini NiMH batterys with alot of power (didnt know they came this high in mah) and a smart charger, all for 10 dollars. This seems like alot of sweet stuff for dirt cheap. This is a newbie asking for product advice-- this just seems too good to be true.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...76&SSAID=118069

2 mini NiMH batterys with alot of power (didnt know they came this high in mah) and a smart charger, all for 10 dollars.  This seems like alot of sweet stuff for dirt cheap.  This is a newbie asking for product advice-- this just seems too good to be true.

Be aware of batteryspace.com. I bought three of those 1100 mah nimh batteries from them, and none of them worked right.

RSM,

No...not with the quality of components currently used in ICS's M4's. !@ would cause failure in the piston rather quickly.

Liver and Onions,

Go cheap get cheap...bon't expect cheap stuff to perform very well. AEG neds packs with HIGH discharge capability and low internal resistance. A pack with a "10amp" discharge rate does not have this. Look for packs that are rated at 7 or less (should have to settle for anything higher) or have a discharge rating of 30 amps.

Hey ShortyUSA-Chris,

Why do you guys include cheapy 12v chargers for the 8.4v batteries? I talk to al ot of kids who buy from you and then wonder why their packs don't work anymore after a short while...

OneChance,

No issue of leaving a pack in any AEG, even the KSC HK33K, if you leave it off. Its just like leaving gas in your car...

Ok noob question. I have a TM MP5 RAS with a 8.4v 3000mah large battery. I charged it over night for prob. around 16 hours on a 300mah charger. I fired off maybe like, 500 rounds for testing. If a recharge it for like an hour to make sure I have max capacity before I skirmish will that hurt it?

By the general formula, a 3000 mah battery with 300 ma output charger, you only need to charge it for 3000/300 x 1.4 = 14 hours, and I think 16 hours is a bit too much, but if you don't do that in the future, shouldn't be a problem.

Again, in general 1.5 shots per 1 mah, so your 3000 mah battery when fully charged, can last 4500 shots, and 500 shots roughly translate to 1/9 of the battery capacity. However, if your battery is nicad, do NOT recharge it without discharging it first because of the memory effect, but if your battery is nimh, there shouldn't be a problem.

Although if you only test fired about only 500 shots (out of the 4500 you should get out of a 3000 mah battery), I wouldn't bother to recharge it just yet.

Shao,

Your hurting your batts.  Hitting it with 12v for a 8.4v battery is not good.  They say you can vary the mah (to an acceptable point) but the volts will damage the cells.

You may be right, but I am not sure since now I'm using 9.6v batteries only, still with the 12v charger though. Isn't the output voltage supposed to be around 20% higher than your battery voltage to be able to fully charge your battery?

is it the higher mah the better? what battery would be best for a tm sr16 (stock)? or would AA get me a good battery in their satrter kit?

also whats a good charger?

The higher the mah, the longer the battery lasts on full charge. The higher the voltage rating, the higher the rof the gun goes. Of course, higher rof puts on more stress on the internal parts of the gun, and shortens the lifespan of the gun. (All of this was mentioned on the first page of this thread. ;) )

In this webpage http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hayles/charge1.html

Most of the information there is irrelevant to us, but it explains the NiCd/NiMH cell characteristics, and the memory effect myth. From what I understand, a standard 1.2v cell requires 1.5v to 1.6v under full charge, which means the charger output should be around 1.5v time 8 cells = 12v for 9.6v batteries. Also, as soon as your battery couldn't power your gun anymore, you should start charging it as it's empty instead of using other dischargers to discharge the battery further. Please correct me if I misunderstand anything.

i have a question,

I have a Mtroniks apc 2000 digital ac/dc fast charger with a large connecter,

but i have 3 8.4 small batteries for my mp5

i was wondering if i got a connection kit

http://www.airsoftdynamics.com/cgi-bin/ADS...alogno=TMBATCON

that has a large to small would it be on to chare the batteries up insetad of buying a new charger??

jenbu

I have noticed on my digital charger it hits the pack with ~.1 v higher then the rating....and as it fills the pack it increases the the voltage to almot ~.2v over rating.

IR will also affect voltage input needed. High IR cells like the KR1700AU would require almost .3 volts over to get a good charge into them, while low IR cells like the GP1100 would not and does not require then .1v over.

This also is affected by mah out, I suppose as long as it's low its okay with the trickle charger. But for some unknown reason to me...a lot of 12v 200mah trickle chargers are smoking packs in our neck of the woods. These packs just will not take a charge anymore even from a "smart" charger...and thus we attribibute it to the charger that come with "package" causing us trouble.

ZAXAQUAR the answer is in this thread, I'll quote it for you as I don't have anything better to do:

How long can you keep a battery charged without discharging it? Does it damage the battery if you keep it charged for several days?

Depends on the battery.  Ni-Cd packs will discharge over the course of a few weeks (when new) or a few days when old.

Ni-MH packs can hold the majority of their charge for a year or more. ;)

As you see he doesn't mention any damage.

Anyway, I've got another battery question as well: Regarding the fact that NiMh batteries shouldn't have a memory effect, is it possible to charge let's say only half the capacity of a NiMh battery and use it then without any problems or damaging the battery?

Depends on the battery.  Ni-Cd packs will discharge over the course of a few weeks (when new) or a few days when old.

Ni-MH packs can hold the majority of their charge for a year or more.

This is incorrect.

Ni-Cd batteries lose approx. 10%-15% charge after the first 24 hours after charging. It then plaeteau's to about 10% self-discharge per month (decreasing slightly with time). This is of course considering standard temperature of 70 degrees F. The discharge rate will increase the warmer the ambient temperature.

Ni-MH batteries follow the same high-discharge pattern, but discharge at a rate ~30% HIGHER than Ni-Cd batteries.

While age matters, more importantly is the number of cycles your batteries go through. After a few hundred, the self-discharge rate will begin to increase.

Also, while I haven't tried it personally, you should be able to decrease the self-discharge rate by storing your batteries in the freezer. Just remember to get them back to room temperature before using them.

Anyway, I've got another battery question as well: Regarding the fact that NiMh batteries shouldn't have a memory effect, is it possible to charge let's say only half the capacity of a NiMh battery and use it then without any problems or damaging the battery?

No problem. Charging partially will still make good use of the battery with no need to worry about damage.

Phoenix

I have a MRC SuperBrain 809 AC/DC Delta Peak Quick Charger. I was wondering if I could safely charge NiMH with it? It can charge a 2 or 4 amps and will Automatically stop but will this feature work on NiMH?

Do batteryspace sell bad batteries? Because this is an insane deal. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=1364

Powerizers are not "bad" batteries. They are just good batteries made badly. My battery source says that Powerizer cells are 3300mah that were made out of spec. Instead of say an IR of ~4 or less, the IR on these cells are over 8. They work just fine in stock AEG's and one hardly notices the difference in mildly upgraded AEG's.

Archived