KJW Glock 23 (metal slide)

KJW Glock 23 (metal slide)

I ordered my gun from Zero One at a price of £65, along with a bag of 5000 ics bbs and 2 600ml cans of abbey ultra gas coming to a total of £97.46 or something like that including postage. The whole package was delivered promptly, only a day after ordering and i came home to find a large brown cardboard box sitting in my porch (and for only £6.50 postage!).

Oddly when i opened the box it appeared to be full of ripped out pages from a Videk catalougue, whether zero one recieve any royalties for distributing these i don't know haha. The top of the gun's box is fairly attractive as boxs go, a nice picture of the gun in some very tactical looking dark lighting, pretty nifty looking. Pulling off the lid the gun, magazine and a small box of bbs are held tightly inside holes in the polystyrene base which works well to keep the whole package safe and clean through the postal system.

Removing the gun from the packaging i was impressed by the weight of the weapon, although the gun seemed very top heavy as the majority of the weight is the full metal slide. I examined every inch of the gun and couldn't find any blemishes or unwelcome marking anywhere.

The slide, as i've mentioned, is completly matal, some sort of aluminium i'd guess and feels very cool to the touch, The Glock G is engraved near the front of the slide on the non-eject port side followed by the number 23. About halfway down the same side of the slide is the ngraving of .40 SW, denoting the real steel calibre. Apart from those the slide is free of any markings except for another small .40 SW engraved on top of the ejection port. The veritcal indents at the back of the slide give excellent grip when racking. The sights are regular white dotted pistol sights made from plastic, they seem to be secured very well to the slide so no chance of them falling off and getting lost like has happened to the sights on various mates guns.

The lower body of the G23 is made from heavyweight injection moulded plastic and is textured all over giving it a very realistic feel. There is further texturing on the grip and the front of the trigger guard which gives very frim grip when holding the pistol. The only marks on the lower body are a small indented KJ on the left side of the grip and a "MADE IN TAIWAN, KUAN JU WORKS" above the thumb indent on the right side of the body. The front rail seems ver sturdy and strong and the unusual safety on the undersider of the rail is metal, more on the safety later.

The pistol has glock's trigger safety which involves a smaller, second trigger in the middle of the main one that unless depressed with the rest of the trigger assembly stops the hammer from releasing.

The magazine is full metal except for the butt plate and spring grip and is very weighty. Inserting this balances out the top heavy weight of the gun giving the entire thing a very well balanced weight, and very hefty at the same time.

Gripping the pistol is incredibly comfortable, egronomically it is close to perfect and feels very natural in your left or right hand, though the mag release and slide lock are not ambidextrous and only work properly for right handed users.

I filled the mag up with gas and the trial bbs (which are a rather nasty cream colour) and inserted it into the gun, the mag slips in very smoothly and clicks into place loudly and firmly. Racking the slide is awesome, the gun emits a variety of very metallic clicks and clacks that sound extremely realistic. Leveling my sights onto one of the included a5 targets from a distance of around 20ft i fired off my first shot. WOW! this gun has some serious blowback and recoil. The slide is very heavy yet fires back and returns so fast you can hardly see it move, the gun rocks backward nicely and there's a small hole just above the black on the target. Checking the target i was impressed by the velocity of the gun, the bb had punched its way through 3 layers of corrugated cardboard and embedded itself in a fourth. Serious power. I returned to my firing position and emptied off the rest of the mag, you can't pull the trigger fast enough on this gun, its ready to fire again before you've even released the trigger. Checking my target again i found that all but 4 of the 20 rounds had penetrated to a simmilar depth as the first round, the other 4 embedded in the 3rd layer of carboard. The area just above the black on the target was shredded, a 2 inch grouping with one exception slightly out to the left. The hop up would need adjusting but you couldn't fault the accuracy, it was far better than i had anticipated.

I consulted the manual to find out how to access the hop up. This wasn't easy however because the entire manual is in taiwanese, and my taiwanese isn't quite up to scratch. The diagrams however are well ilustrated and annotated with arrows so i was able to work it out alright. Firstly you have to lock the slide back, then, gripping the slide release tabs on BOTH sides of the body you hit the slide release and the whole slide fires off the front of the gun at quite an alarming speed. I barely managed to catch it before it hit the floor. The hop up adjustment is a small balck cog in the middle of the slide just infront of the chamber. Adjustment is easy and very well incremented, turn to the right to increase the hop up and to the left to decrease. I only decreased it by one as the bbs were landing only slightly too high. Getting the slide back on is easy, just line it up on the slide guides and pull it all the way back. Remember this will depress the hammer so don't forget to release it.

I filled the mag up with bbs again but left the gas level as it was to see how far one fill would get me. Firing off the whole mag again i found the bbs were grouping aswell as they were on the first mag but now hitting at the right level. Vertically the accuracy is incredible, the hop up works very well to make sure that each bb stays very level. Horizontal accuracy is not as good but still very good compared to most guns.

One fill of gas managed to fire off both mags with a reduction in power only noticeable on the very last round of the second mag, however i was shooting at temperatures barely above 5 degrees celsius so this is to be expected, on hotter days the gas is likely to go a very long way and fire even more powerfully.

Overall what is not to like about this gun? Its cheap, powerful, accurate, economic on gas, heavy, realistic, comfortable, easy to use and has a large range of accesories as most KWC glock 19 parts will also fit this gun.

The only negatives i can find are the odd safety which is a small metal bar on the underside of the rail (where the serial number is on the real steel) which you slide towards the trigger to engage the safety. Its not difficult to use, just less accesible than a normal safety, especially if you are wearing gloves or something is mounted on the rail. The other negative is the hop up adjustment, which is mounted inside the slide, This is not a problem however as the slide is very easy to take on and off, though it does risk dirt getting into the internals if you are adjusting the hop up during a game.

For only £65 i would recomend this gun to anyone, you're not likely to find as good a deal anywhere else, the amount you get for your money is astounding, get one today!

Plainlazy44