Spelling.. please?

This has been really bugging me of late and I don't ask much I really don't, but could those with issues spelling and using correct grammar please make an effort? It's becoming a little tiresome reading threads along the lines of "..well wot diz proBlem is dat, maan iz da cool innit?". :fear2:

Please folks (you know who you are) type in English and make the effort. There's a "spell-check" button on all posts to help if you do have spelling issues.

Typos are not an issue - everyone makes a mistake (Americanisms are fine too). What I'm talking about is willfull keyboard misuse.

Sure, some people may have issues typing, some might be in a rush, and some might not be that proficient with a keyboard but we can all make an effort to re-read what we type to make sure it makes sense. I know I check back through my own posts (even on the news page) and correct casual spelling errors and mistakes.

Remember folks for every poorly typed post somewhere in the world an Airsoft replica dies. :butcher:

Amen to that. As an English & Literacy lecturer you have no idea how bloody irritating it is to hear numpties typing like a five year old...

Although we all make mistakes at time - I'm quite prone to typos myself, especially on a Saturday when tired - just check the IRC channel and you'll see I'm all over the place at the moment....:)

TBH, I reckon that a person who fails to write in a coherant manner on a text-based media such as an internet forum is, basically, insulting the other users.

What you're doing is saying "Hey, I think so little of you all that I can't even be @rsed to form my thoughts properly or set them down properly but, at the same time, I want you all to pay attention to me and/or help me with something."

Edited by Hissing Sid
TBH, I reckon that a person who fails to write in a coherant manner on a text-based media such as an internet forum is, basically, insulting the other users.

What you're doing is saying "Hey, I think so little of you all that I can't even be @rsed to form my thoughts properly or set them down properly but, at the same time, I want you all to pay attention to me and/or help me with something."

Roger that!

Highlighted in what way? The filter is already enabled and it automatically removes most words. Any words not filtered just tell me in a PM. Users have been warned about deliberate misspellings to get around the filters and asked not to do it.

Hello,

There are people from France,Germany, Belgium, Holland etc ...on this board and we try to write English on this board but we can make mistakes because English is not our language.But we do or best and sorry for the misspellings.

Keep up the good work with your site.

Flat.

Hi Flateric, appreciated and understood ;)

I'm not getting at people from other countries, there's a huge difference between posts made by someone when English isn't their first language and people that sinply don't make an effort.

Glad you like the site.

I have to agree 100% on this. It takes one hell of a lot more effort to try and decode a text language style post than a simple plain, and (proper!) english sentence.

For those users on these forums from other countries, as has been mentioned, it's often the case they speak excellent english, and even small mistakes in grammar etc still result in little difficulty to understand what is being written (Nice one guys,i often wish i could speak a second language as well as many of you do !).

Text type messages on the other hand - It makes me want to explain to the poster very slowly and with pain as an incentive (Perhaps with the aid of a upgraded AEG at point blank ) that there are indeed 26 letters in the english alphabet, so flipping well use them :angry:

Highlighted in what way? The filter is already enabled and it automatically removes most words. Any words not filtered just tell me in a PM. Users have been warned about deliberate misspellings to get around the filters and asked not to do it.

Didn't know about the warnings, its the deliberate mispelling that gets me. People know that its filtered but put it up anyway

Mis-spelling doesn't include things like 's**t' or 'f***', does it? 

It's basically the same censorship, but people who know the word know what you're trying to say... 

isn't that exactly what chris P is complaining about?

I'm not getting at people from other countries, there's a huge difference between posts made by someone when English isn't their first language and people that sinply don't make an effort.

don't mean to take a shot at you, but the irony had to be pointed out

(yes i do by the way, understand the whole, casual mistakes are exceptable thing)

On another note spell check doesn't catch "sinply" and doesnt know the word "exceptable"

isn't that exactly what chris P is complaining about?

Well a 5-year-old hopefully wouldn't know what 'f***' was meant to be, whereas 'f00k' (sorry :unsure:) is obvious to anyone.

People who know the four-letter F-word will understand 'f***', yet young 'uns shouldn't.

In theory, at least... :huh:

Arnie I thought you'd never bring this up!

:D

All I can say is:

A fooking Men!!!

English is my 3rd language and I never have serious problems with my spelling, punctuation or grammar... If I do I make an effort to correct myself.

So what's so hard in using spell check regularly to "combat" dyslexia?

*brings out the barbed spell checker, now attached to a pole*

Arnie I thought you'd never bring this up!

:D

All I can say is:

A fooking Men!!!

English is my 3rd language and I never have serious problems with my spelling, punctuation or grammar... If I do I make an effort to correct myself.

So what's so hard in using spell check regularly to "combat" dyslexia?

*brings out the barbed spell checker, now attached to a pole*

Ooohh, What other languages do you know? :D

That picture implys only asians do it, and I'm not asian, n00b.

Oh and another thing, people in the For Sale Forum who spell there gun name wrong. :D Specially when they have pictures of boxes with the name on ...

Edited by Jowep

asso you didn't just stereotype billions of people did you?

I mean you're not a stereotyping racist are you, *albatross*?

you better not be, asso.

And please criticise in a constructive manner, with at least SOME intellect unlike the other people who can't spell.

*Gets into stance with previously said polearm barbed spell checker*

Edited by billymak
billymak: In all fairness if that comedy image was of a bunch of atypical British chavs from Brum there'd be no suggestion of any racial slur. Try to put things in perspective. The original image could well have been created by a chap in Asia.

Just like jokes stereotyping black people could be made up by black people. Doesn't stop them being racist jokes. ;)

Something that is "racist" is either based on the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others, or discriminates or is prejudicial based on race.

A picture of a group of people of one race or creed with a joke on it is not racist unless the intention of the author is as listed above. The picture posted is a comedy photo nothing more. The series "Banzai" in exactly the same way not racist.

I don't for one second believe that the intention of the poster is to portray all Asian people as idiots. It is a photo of some people that have dressed up for that photo presumeably for the sole intention of looking like idiots.

At first glace I don't see a group of Asians in the photo.. I see a group of people looking like idiots. I had to go back an look at the photo myself to see what the fuss was about.

If the first thing that you see as an individual is a group of Asians and a racist photo, or a slur against a specific culture.. then I'd suggest that you are racist and prejudicial.

Don't jump on things and label them "racist" all of a sudden when they aren't, that's just sad, petty and small minded.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.