Sales rule suggestion

I don't know if it's just me (hence me posting this), but could we have it made a rule that, if you're going to haggle someone down on the basis of retailer price, you have to quote a retailer in the same country? I'm sick of seeing people chipping in with "Well, it's less than that new from WGC/Ehobby Asia/wherever." Surely it's only fair to compare a price to the retail price in the same country?

:zorro:

Thats a damn fine idea Sledge!

Way too many threads cluttered up with "I can get it cheaper form HK drop your price".

If you can get it cheaper from HK, STFU and get it, leave the poor guy trying to sell things alone to make his sale.

Sam

(on speaking of HK, hows the order coming :P )

If you're a prospective buyer then you're not actually "derailling" the thread by commenting on alternative prices.

TBH, I don't see anything wrong with telling a seller that you can buy an item cheaper elsewhere in the course of your bargaining.

I certainly don't see any need to make rules about that sort of thing. Besides anything else, I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to enforce.

If a person DOES simply post "dude, you can buy that item for less in HK" then, as M says, they are guilty of trolling the thread.

If, OTOH, I want to buy an item but I can buy it in HK and have it posted over here for less than the seller is asking then I don't see any harm in asking if they're prepared to lower their asking price.

Personally, I would have thought any smart buyer would do their haggling via PMs to avoid being gazumped.

Surely, just about anyone who's selling Airsoft gear knows how much you can get it for, posted from HK, and prices stuff accordingly?

Not sure it needs a rule as such, you either politely decline their lower offer, accept it, or haggle some more ;)

I agree with the annoyance of the

"ZoMG wtf its cheaper from Hong Kong!11!!"
brigade, even when it's not you selling the item, it's annoying :rolleyes: but, they're easily ignored ;)

people forget you can get say an agm m14 from HK for £40 but the postage costs are nearly what the gun is which is what they forget. they seller has had to pay that which bumps the price of the new gun up to £80 and then there MAY be customs on top as well,

i find it irritiating when people blatantly overprice goods but also find it annoying when people say ph you can get that cheeper elsewhere

people forget you can get say an agm m14 from HK for £40 but the postage costs are nearly what the gun is which is what they forget.  they seller has had to pay that which bumps the price of the new gun up to £80 and then there MAY be customs on top as well,

i find it irritiating when people blatantly overprice goods but also find it annoying when people say ph you can get that cheeper elsewhere

At which point the seller either drops his price or justifes himself by point out the costs with shipping.

Look, the rules are very simple - If someone is spamming the thread, then the report button or a polite PM to the mod team will have the situation resolved in Jig time.

What we don't want is the kind of draconian approach we have seen employed elsewhere where no-one is allowed to comment on sale threads apart from prospective buyers and the seller as that fosters a culture of overpricing and misleading decscriptions.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a draconian approach. For example, yesterday someone pointed out that one gun Evilhippy was selling could actually be bought for the same price new at a UK retailer. Fair comment. But that's a world of difference from haggling on the basis that prices in Hong Kong are lower. Hell, if that were the case, the majority of stuff sold on these forums is over-priced.

:zorro:

But that's a world of difference from haggling on the basis that prices in Hong Kong are lower.

At which point the seller either drops his price or justifes himself by point out the costs with shipping.

Sorry, was I writing in white?

It's very, very easy for a seller to counteract claims about HK prices becuase 99% of the time when you calculate shipping and duty the price works out about the same.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see a problem here.

I don't think the issue we all have is with people haggling or people even politely pointing out that the item they are selling 'may' be overpriced. What we don't need are posts like this...

0.o Wtf?

this is the KSC M93R Auto-9 right?

these are only $145.00 new....

that's £80-ish....

Not mentioning any names here, but there seem to be a few repeat offenders who I think deserve a warning about this type of thing, I don't do it, and neither do the more 'mature' members of this forum.

If the mods think this is pointless thread, they would have closed it already. It's an important issue that should be made aware of, and taken seriously: There is nothing more annoying than missing out on a sale because some little git can't keep his unneccessary opinions to himself.

Cheers

Not mentioning any names here, but there seem to be a few repeat offenders who I think deserve a warning about this type of thing, I don't do it, and neither do the more 'mature' members of this forum.

Much as we'd like to claim so, we're not omniescient. When you see a problem, there is a report button that you can click to make us aware of it, but otherwise, it's entirely possible we don't see these repeat offenders.

If the mods think this is pointless thread, they would have closed it already. It's an important issue that should be made aware of, and taken seriously:

Well, no. We don't close threads just because we think an issue might be pointless, particulalry in this section. I certainly don't think it's a serious problem, however.

There is nothing more annoying than missing out on a sale because some little git can't keep his unneccessary opinions to himself.

It's very, very easy for a seller to counteract claims about HK prices becuase 99% of the time when you calculate shipping and duty the price works out about the same.

:rolleyes:

Look, I'm going to say this once more.

If someone is spamming a sales thread, report it.

If someone is providing accurate information, then it will be left intact. If someone is just trolling, then it will be deleted.

How much easier does it have to be, people?