defending territory

volkfaust60@hotmail.com

i dont know about real military tactics, but when defending, make use of your cover. if the area you're defending has poor cover, move somewhere close by with better cover.

if the area has poor cover:

try staying hidden, organise an ambush along the most likely path the enemy will take, get a scout to report enemy movements so you can coordinate your ambush. if they're close together, try taking out multiple targets in one burst, but only do that if they're close to you. dont shoot if you think you might miss, that'll just give away your position. try taking out one enemy then moving to a different position, keep doing that.

if your area has good cover (e.g. a bunker):

use the cover, always have at least 1 person shooting when the other person reloads try keep the attackers pinned down so they cant advance. take out their flanks first, force them to group together in the center, or at least discourage them from trying to flank you.

when defending, move to cover forward of your position you need to hold, and make sure you have cover behind you, and as one man fires, (as you need to) fall back, cover at a time, also, its best to have someone indepth of the pisiton with a long range weapon, as they can clear a overun position and take it back fairly easily.

in that case you lie down so they cant shoot your body due to the angle of the slope, and only expose your head/arms/gun :P

but seriously, if you're in that situation, theres virtually no hope unless the other team cant aim, or they're in open terrain too, that way you have the high ground which is a big advantage.

overlapping arcs of fire

always have a plan for a withdraral

make sure everyone can keep in good coms with the leader

post OPs and pull them back once the enemy push starts.

have secondry positions ready and be able to cover the men if they have to pull back to them

keep the wounded/ammo/assets out of the way of the fight.

thats about all i can think of.

also this link might have a few bits of info:

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/def...ics-german.html

To set up a proper ambush, always make sure you have one person in charge of it, and you WILL NOT SHOOT until he tells you. Otherwise you end up with a half cocked attempt which gives them time to react. Stay hidden until they are incredibly close before all of you pop up and kill them. It works wonders.

If you know an attack is coming (which let's face it, we usually do), an ambush can be used for defence - particularly in the right terrain. For example, when you play against people on a regular basis, you tend to be able to predict how they will react to different situations and you can use your forces in such a way to draw them into a preset ambush, thus sending them back off to regen and keeping them well away from the point they're attacking for as long as possible. This works particularly well in timed games with more than one target to defend/attack.

if there is no cover. make some.

i know alot of site owners frown upon this but if its a wooded area, drag some fallen lumnber around to make soem cover. it may not ne that high but it beasts nothing.

make sure you use any possible change in the land like a low ridge, a stream, etc to enhance the defences.

ensure that noone falls back unless as part of the whole. ive seen to many defences fail over one guy bugging out then the rest run with him.

From my personal experience Defense is very difficult to do. Our last game the flag bases were completly out in the open so as to make defense very difficult. The most effective use of defense is stuff that is natural. A bush is a good natural defense if its in the right position. There have been many times where my 4 man team has been completely surrounded by at least 10 other people and we've come out on top because of a single bush where our 249 is set up defending an area. The use of properly placed Support weapons or any gun is key in most defense.

As someone stated, Overlapping fields of fire wreaks havoc on an enemies numbers and moral. Its very easy to set them up. When my team sets up a defense around something we dont use the typical circle for defense, we set up a wedge with one of us very close to the objective, the support on one leg and the rest of us on the other. We Fan out so that the attack approaches the "lip" of the V. This forces a funneling effect when enemy forces come into our V. Its like an ambush except not, because the enemy full well knows that we are there, but for some reason they just keep funneling into the objective. The human mind thinks in patterns and geometry, not unorthodoxy. So it is easy to believe that even the best of tacticians make a straight line attempt at getting somewhere. The V makes sure that everyone gets funneled into that "ohh there it is, lets get it" while we cross them up in fire.

I agree with the "If there is no cover make some" Personally I'm gonna start carrying an entrenching tool with me jsut for digging a small fox hole in an area I will be staying at for a while. I dont know how many times i've been told to hold an area that is in THE WORST possible cover known to man kind. You just have to make do with what you have.

My $0.02

I good taactic which has worked for me in the past is to send a party of 2 - 3 people to flank around the attackers in a pincer action to create confusion. It helps if the party keep on the move and do not get bogged down in one spot. If done right it can draw enough attention away from the main objective

if your looking out from the point you need to defend point your arms out making a 90 degree angle that you suspect they will strike from put your sniper on one side of the arc and your suport gunner. they will go out a ways and hide and wait in ambush, when the enemy tries to atack the reest of you at the bunker or whatever those 2 will be shooting at their backs. those 2 also act as scouts.

I have no idea, but I'd suggest you'd think twice before implying someone (let alone a global mod) is a Nazi again. <_<

suggesting you were a german solider(and useing that as it was the first support gun pardoy i could think of), and that you were a nazi are two very seperate things,

and thanks for the petty neg rep, dont be so jumpy...

suggesting you were a german solider(and useing that as it was the first support gun pardoy i could think of), and that you were a nazi are two very seperate things,

and thanks for the petty neg rep, dont be so jumpy...

When I read the initial comment, I was insulted by it, hence the neg-rep. Because I was concerned that I may have been over-reacting, your comments were reported to the mod team.

Crazy Harry, Pablo, and Nuno all agreed with my interpretation - you had backhandedly called me a Nazi. The term 'Jackboot' is connected to Fascism, particularly Nazism, as they were issued by the Wehrmacht and SS during early phases of World War II before Germany encountered leather shortages, and the MG42 is a WW2 specific german weapon. Any german soldier in WW2 would by default have been a Nazi.

Claiming innocence won't fly here.

That's a personal attack however you slice it, hence the warning points. You really need to watch what you're writing sometimes - this is not the first time an attempt at sarcasm on your part has been considered insulting by another party.

Have a nice day.

To be honest Belladonna, I couldn't for the life of me think why you'd post something like that if you didn't intend it to be interpreted that way. Jackboots+MG42+Playing in sand sounds like the Afrika Korps from WW2 to me. What were they? Nazis.

See why people would reach that conclusion, seeing as up to that point there'd been no mention of any of those items?

Archived