What's your backup?

Nivelo

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recently changed my use of backup/secondary weaponary.

In CQB I will always have a GBB as a secondary weapon, but out in woodland I don't bother anymore. Even using midcaps I never felt the need to drop to my pistol. in 10 games of woodland 'softing i have not fired a single shot with my handgun.

A nice and simple WE Hi Capa 4.3 for back up, I personally find it more and more useful (noting that I pretty much only play in CQB venues thus far), either for when you want to keep the pressure on and rather than reloading simply dropping to pistol or being able to try and speed ball that corner and don't want to attempt to slide / dash around a corner swinging even a cqb sized main arm.

I am going to be upgrading the barrel and looking at working on it to allow it to be used for fun as a main if I really want to some times.

KJW Glock 23 in my right ammo pouch, with the spanish buckle on QR. Takes about a second to draw from any fire position. Better than a badly fitted drop leg POS banging about my thigh. Balances my webbing out too. You never know when the primary might fail to fire; I like the reassurance. Can be handy in CQB when I'm not using the bayonet, or in combination with :)

• 2 weeks later...

As back up for my AEG I carry a spare battery & a coiled length of curtain wire to clear blockages in the field. For the rare occasions when that fails, I'll have another AEG in the Safe Zone, preferably one that takes the same mags and batteries. Pistols can be moderately amusing sometimes but I never carry one. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting with an AEG. And can readily be shot with same, urban or rural.

It's only recently become fashionable (and I use that word deliberately) for troops in the field, other than maybe SF, to carry a pistol as well as a rifle. The art is to keep your "real" weapon going, and if it stops, getting it going again as quickly as you can, rather than grabbing a pistol to deal with an enemy with an AK. Airsoft is a bit different of course but not that much. If, as you should be, you're using the buddy buddy system and not doing a Rambo, your oppo will cover you while you reload or clear a stoppage, providing you tell him - "Magazine!"/"Reloading!" or "Stoppage!". Teamwork and all that.

Maruzen micro UZI, good for charging over small ridges when I don't feel like sticking my 390 fps AEG right in someones face.

wow, i thought i was the only person still using one of these :D. Fantastic guns and the fixed hop set for .2s surprised me with how good it is, its got quite a range for such an oldskool gun.

Corse i mainly used mine as a primary weapon for CQB.

• 1 month later...

I enjoy using my old school UHC NBB USP. I bought it locally years back for under 30 dollars, NBB so it hardly jams and cleaning is minimal and Since I hardly use it, it works wonders. Probably under 500 shots fired from it. Usually pull it out when under MED rules.

For fun, I sometimes use a Springer TM 1911. De-powered, they are perfect for prisoner executions, and they are great for office/shop impromptu springer wars.

• 3 weeks later...

2x Upgraded UHC Python 4". It's only a springer, but it's a proper revolver so you can stick 5 bb's in each shell and have a mini shotgun strapped to your hip just incase. Not strictly just a backup as I'll use these for entering buildings. Also I love to pose so these are great. Only taken for one skirmish so far so may be short-lived (although they worked great this time) and back to the old TM M9 but hey, we'll see eh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived