What's your backup?

Nivelo

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My usual sidearm these days is a TM XDm. Belt mounted in a serpa.

Fantastic out to about 35ish metres, with my sniper rifle's MED or when I have my M4 and I'm indoors in a tight spot its perfect.

Wait till the day vibrators go lipo powered !!! Gonna be a lot of cross eyed women quivering their way to the school run in the mornings ....

they will simply have to be plugged in on the night stand to recharge. (no pun intended)

Wait a dodgy comment I didn't make? :P

Also is it me or is it time to bring about the 'how long will this member last' poll? It does seem that one member has managed to repeat the same predicaments that got them into issues the last time. I will just wait for the insults towards everyone, including mods that are in support of said persons statements. If that can be avoided then perhaps it is not needed.

And my back up is still my rubber knife, if I have not packed that then I just have a primary pistol and that about does me. If it gasses out or goes wrong then just back to the safezone for a tweak. I am in this for the fun and I don't mind taking myself out if an issue develops, not carrying extra that I don't think I personally need, not like it is life or death :P

'FireKnife'

Right now its a TM PX4 backing up a PTS Masada, as I am playing more and more indoor/mixed games I am planning on switching over to a cheap tri shot shotgun and add another pistol or two (namely a KWA USPc and a WE P228) especially as The Manor in Warrington encourage not using an AEG game after game (it has gotten a bit boring tbf) and are running regular Gas and Spring only events.

I just have a primary pistol and that about does me. If it gasses out or goes wrong then just back to the safezone for a tweak. '

I had two out of three pistols go down at a game a month or two ago, it wasn't ideal so I was pretty glad I had all three on me!

I had two out of three pistols go down at a game a month or two ago, it wasn't ideal so I was pretty glad I had all three on me!

Ouch not good. I do have a spare with me at all times in the bag but never needed anything more than a pop back, relube and back in thankfully.

My latest back up is a we xdm compact with extended barrel and silencer attached,will have to wait to see how well it fares in the reliability stakes , but it is putting a smile on my face everytime I use it .

I would guess not amazing but if you can get it to run longer than 6 months then good to hear, most of the new WEs seem to hit their failure point about then.

'FireKnife'

I find this thread very odd - it seems that a lot of people's back ups are their unflinching egos, relying on their ability to convince people that they've actually hit them.

This thread exists to discuss back ups, and by virtue the merits of using them. As argumentative as IBMedic can be, he does bring up valid points - most peoples backups are there for show, and never get used effectively making him dead weight. That said the counterargument being that should you need it, it's there, is also equally valid; the condom argument from AVP (an otherwise terrible movie :D) "I'd rather have 'em and not need 'em, than need 'em and not have 'em"

Personally I find that a good pistol is an excellent back up. I carry 4x spare magazines, which means if my primary goes down that I can stay in the game and enjoy the rest of my day, rather than packing up and leaving. It takes up a lot less space than a spare rifle, and is just overall easier. I would be lying if I said that's my main motivation for using one - it's not. I think pistols are cool, and they're a helluva lot more fun than using AEG's, and the TM series of pistols are extremely accurate. I'm limited to 1 joule here in Ireland, and as such people don't have a power advantage on you.

The reason why I play airsoft is for personal enjoyment; I couldn't care less about 'winning' - to me I'm just playing cops and robbers with much cooler looking gear. The game is the enjoyment, not the outcome. Don't get me wrong I like competitive sports, but airsoft is not one of them. It's a pure hobby to me, so as a result I structure my gear for maximum enjoyment. I carry enough spare magazines for my primary, but no more than I would use in a game - this creates the situation where I am more cautious about shots, and also means I am more likely to use my pistol. Similarly whenever I get into closer quarters I will draw the pistol, and sling the rifle - you're a lot more manoeuvrable, and it's just plain more enjoyable.

My primary at the moment is my TopTech SIG SG552, and back up is my Inokatsu 1911, though it will toggle between a range of TM pistols depending on my mood.

Yeah I played a couple weeks back and my primary (gbb) and pistol went south. Ended up with old faithful aeg (Which after gas I find alittle boring)..

My sentiments exactly ... Its the taking part in the games , not the winning that does it for me . I have to many guns to have a designated favourite , its site and mood dependant on what I use as my weopons for any particular day .

I am getting ready to sell a few guns off as I just can't use and store them all anymore . So if anyone is looking for few guns pm me

My primary at the moment is my TopTech SIG SG552, and back up is my Inokatsu 1911, though it will toggle between a range of TM pistols depending on my mood.

Now that's an interesting combination. I've still never seen a SIG rifle at a skirmish - they just seem to sit on the rack at PAS and never move.  :(

Now that's an interesting combination. I've still never seen a SIG rifle at a skirmish - they just seem to sit on the rack at PAS and never move.  :(

They flat out don't sell - they sit on our shelves here in work as well. They seem to be an acquired taste, though anything that uses proprietary magazines tends to be. Personally I have always loved the SIG 552 - it just looks the business, and I'm not going to lie...playing Counter-Strike did have a lot to do with it. The range out of the TopTech 552 is superb, though ROF sucks - throw in an SHS Neodymium magnet high torque and you're sorted. Battery space is limited, so 7.4v lipo is the way forward :)

Plus, the weight of it just feels...deadly :D

• 2 weeks later...

TM Benelli M3 Shorty, and a TM SIG P226 that fires 6 shots and then vents the mag :(

Here's a recent pic of me mid-skirmish to show how i carry them (the P226 is hidden behind my arm):

1070019_609369989097792_2125790942_n.jpg

I get a lot of comments about the sheath, and to be honest, i originally bought it for looks. However, before I picked up more mags for my P90, I found myself running short of ammo and switching to the shottie a few times, and i do end up lending it to someone when they run out of ammo or their battery dies on them mid-game. Not sure how visible they are in the above picture, but i do have 5 shells mounted on my left shoulder. As a backup, the shottie has proved itself to be invaluable, and i have used it successfully during numerous assaults, and ended up during one defence game blasting away with it merrily into some orange smoke someone had thrown outside the door to the fort we were defending.

The badger used to use a cut down M4 shotty  with a curvy pistol grip in a back scabbard, and can confirm that its more a problem of having something that size swinging around on ones back than an issue of weight. In any case, it makes a good back up, especially if field rules require the use of side arm or spring gun in close quarters. 

Archived