Airsoft Flintlock/duelling pistols

Asher

There's been a horribly persistent idea at the back of my head for some time now involving airsoft duelling pistols. A mate and I used to have 10 pace and fire duels with WA berettas, but I always fancied something a little more traditional.

The brainfart I had, was for single shot, muzzle loading flintlock style duelling pistols, either springer (easy mech, cock with ramrod) or gas (trickier, but can be operated via a valve in the pan) based.

I also considered adding effects, like a charge of baby powder (lifted from those ###### gas grenades) to give a cloud of "smoke" or using pfc's (entirely isolated from the propulsion system) to give a nice crack on firing.

My main questions are not so much technical, because I know I have the required skills to bodge one of these up, but legal I guess. Here's what I'm wondering:

FOR THE UK, mind.

1. Is it, as I am around 90% confident already, legal to build an airsoft mech into a ###### non-firing replica body, provided the existing power limits are adhered to? Within the confines of the VCRB, a flintlock should be of a design outside of the "age limit" (1850?) so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. Is it legally acceptable to build a model that activates a pfc, provided that pfc is in no way used to propel anything (i.e. it just goes bang).

3. Is it just me who really, really wants a brace of airsoft flintlocks?

Any answers would be welcome, but I really need informed opinion on whether I'm likely to get be-clinked before I even think about knocking something up in the workshop.

Dueling is for sissies! Real men have Spaghetti Western style shoot outs!

fafdm%20dwg1.jpg

Get a pair of Tanaka SAA Army's or Peacemakers and you're all set!

I think the dueling pistol build is a cool one. Isn't there a gas-powered shotgun that uses gas-powered shells that shoot one at a time? Might not be a bad way of making a single-shot gas powered airsoft gun.

Either way--good luck with the build, has a lot of merit to it. (still say a western styled shoothout would be more entertaining :) )

Steve

1: so long as its not a de-act.

3: i had an idea for making a flintlock out of an old gas mag. the hammer spins forward, and a pice on the inside of the hammer (on the opposite end from the outside hammer) would strike the gas relece button.

i even had an idea for a magazine of 15ish rounds in the ramrod tube. and loading by moveing the flashpan lid

Almost the same idea I had for years! I have always wanted or to try design a classic Asian and European matchlock/flintlock rifles and pistols. To get your hopes up on this, my friend in Japan bought a Japanese antique matchlock rifle used in Japan during the period of trades. He was able to put a Marui M3 shotgun unit into the gun, thus converting the matchlock rifle into a shotgun. He even has his own Samurai armour to go with it as well!

Then again, many would think matchlocks would be useless in airsoft, however it can be approached as a long range gas powered sniper rifle. I was thinking of working on CADS for the idea before I give a certian company an email regarding production of a matchlock rifle. Good luck on your project though, I recommend using the system used for revolvers, derringers, or a compact AEP SMG gearbox.

1: so long as its not a de-act.

3: i had an idea for making a flintlock out of an old gas mag. the hammer spins forward, and a pice on the inside of the hammer (on the opposite end from the outside hammer) would strike the gas relece button.

i even had an idea for a magazine of 15ish rounds in the ramrod tube. and loading by moveing the flashpan lid

Cheers for clarifying point 1. I was going to start with a denix replica base, so I should be ok there.

Do you mind if I lift them ideas? I was going to go down the muzzle loading route, maybe knock up a powder horn gas reservoir, but an old gas mag might make an ideal base rather than the old marushin derringer I was going to butcher. . .

Almost the same idea I had for years! I have always wanted or to try design a classic Asian and European matchlock/flintlock rifles and pistols. To get your hopes up on this, my friend in Japan bought a Japanese antique matchlock rifle used in Japan during the period of trades. He was able to put a Marui M3 shotgun unit into the gun,  thus converting the matchlock rifle into a shotgun. He even has his own Samurai armour to go with it as well!

Then again, many would think matchlocks would be useless in airsoft, however it can be approached as a long range gas powered sniper rifle. I was thinking of working on CADS for the idea before I give a certian company an email regarding production of a matchlock rifle. Good luck on your project though, I recommend using the system used for revolvers, derringers, or a compact AEP SMG gearbox.

Nice! Although, giving me inspiration is a bad idea :P

Hmm, I definitely could see the use for a nice dueling pistol in 8mm soft... :)

Remember, only the horrendously loutish people used saw-handle pistols... (Which were easier to aim...)

Wonder how big a market there'd be for 8mm flintlock/wheellock duellers... And if it'd raise the frequency of airsofters hauling arming swords with them... :)

Also, anyone thinking of a British Marine from Nelson era with a short blunderbuss carbine with bronze barrel? Perhaps based around Tanaka 8mm shotgun shells to get the 'hail of pellets' effect so useful in sweeping down boarding parties of screaming pagans? :)

This seems like an awesome idea and a nice new tangent to airsoft. Got any grudges? Well go and duel it out :D single shot to single shot only one man wins. Keep us updated as im really liking this idea.

Well, the first cheapo base for a prototype is ordered so I can have a proper look at this. Long term, if its feasible, and I can still be arsed I'll look to scratch build something. Be forewarned, I did one scratchbuild lightsabre and then drifted to other projects, so I can see this being a one off.

Cock on the proverbial block, though; I would be thoroughly amused by the idea of flintlock/matchlock/musket skirmishing, and think there ought to be more of such activity. Ought to level things out with the box mag brigade, taking 30 seconds to load between shots . . .

Perhaps great minds do think a like Sledge.

My other concept is utilizing Mosquito Molds' mini grenade launcher for the larger calibur rifles or miniture cannons. The mini grenade launcher approach for some rifles is possible and makes loading the weapon by far the most realistic. The grenade shell must be dropped down the barrel. A spring damper helps the grenade shell from firing once it reaches the bottom of the rifle. In order to lock the grenade in the rifle, a ramrod is needed to push the grenade and the damper spring to lock the grenade in the rifle. The hammer is cocked back for the firing pin in the gun to fire the grenade. Once the greande is fired, the firing pin releases the locking latch in the rifle to allow the grenade to unlock itself from the locking devices in the gun. The gun must be pointed downwards to slide the spent shell out, and you must repeat the process again.

I'm still working on this though, but if you can pull it off Asher, I hope you can make a fine flint lock.

OK Ash, I accept!  As insulted party I have choice of weapon, I see your flintlock pistol, and raise you this 36 pounder carronade loaded with grapeshot!

Is dawn a suitable time?

PM sent.

Erm, any chance we could settle it over a mochacchino? I seem to have mislaid my powderflask. . . :fear:

Cheers for the pm, btw. Once the server stops acting up, I might actually get to read it :blink:

i wondered about having a gas bottle in the shape of a powder horn, and having BBs in a little satchel like they used to....

accesorising, is it wrong?

Dude, if I ever get these things made they're getting their own case, let alone a powderhorn and ammo bag! If you're going to be a doomer, it needs to be doomer all the way :D

Although the missus has categorically denied me the right to wear a ruffly shirt and cravat while challenging the neighbours. :angry:

First donor flintlock arrived this morning. I'll be looking at the practicalities of the mod tonight, and getting some basic gas mechs plundered on Wenesday. I'm hoping to do a blow-by-blow on the progress of the build, if anyone is interested.

Any ideas/suggestions will be welcome, and if there's anyone with a little experience of castinf techniques out there, I'd like to hear from them. I would like to try and cast a few of the fittings in my forge eventually, but don't know where to start. . .

On a similar note I have been thinking for a while about how to make an airsoft muzzle loading musket - a brown bess would be good. Model guns are available for £100 or so but I just cant think of how to convert one effectively.

A rifle is probably an easier propostion to be honest. I've taken delivery of a load of old broken gas berettas (from one of the soundest airsofters on the planet: cheers Tom!) and the mechs are perfect for the conversion, assuming you can shoe-horn the innards into the body work. Most of the flintlock replicas on the market are boggo inside and out, so plenty of wood can be shaved away to make room for the parts. Pistols are proving to be a nuisance, as there's a lot less room, and most of the space I want is occupied by the (profoundly *beep*) cocking mechanism. Since the flintcock is going to actuate the cap part of the unit, I can't easily do away with it :angry:

Dependent on how much gas usage you want, the mech can be set up to simply vent all the gas in one hit on a single trigger pull. Its only when you want multiple shots off a re-fill that you'd encounter technical problems. A spring musket would be even easier: All you need is a sleeved system where the ramrod compresses the spring. It could easily be assembled around any spring gun mechanism using an oversize tube and a washer. Probably. ;)

Archived