Ghost Recon Impressions and Load-outs

Jagdraben

Note: I will be using the terms load-out, kit, and impression fairly interchangibly. While these terms often mean quite different things in airsofting and re-enacting, I feel that, with the Ghosts, the differences are meaningless.

Purpose

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a guide to creating impressions approximating members of the ficticious 'Ghosts' of Delta Company, First Battalion, Fifth Special Forces Group of the United States Army from Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, &c.

All aspects of the kit used by the Ghosts will recieve roughly equal consideration. The primary focus will be on the kit used by the Ghosts in Ghost Recon 2 and Ghost Recon: Summit Strike as I feel that those two games comprise the most unique equipment and weapons. In my opinion, the equipment from the original Ghost Recon titles feels more Ranger-esque than Ghost-esque and, further, most of the equipment from those games is now considered obsolete. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher 2, on the other hand, seem to have gone nearly to the point of cartoonishness (again in my opinion). However, I will touch upon both the original Ghost Recon titles and the GRAW titles.

Why should I kit up as a Ghost?

There are many reasons to do a Ghost impression. First and foremost is that they offer the greatest selection of equipment outside of a PMC impression and the greatest selection of weaponry outside of a Delta Force impression. Whereas US Navy SEALS, German Bundeswehr KSK, &c. impressions and load-outs are comparitively limited in the type of equipment available and weapons that are allowed and common, no two Ghost load-outs are identical: Almost no Ghost utilizes the same equipment and/or weaponry as another Ghost. Thus, a Ghost load-out is highly diverse and individualistic and can work for nearly anyone on nearly any budget.

Ghost load-outs also have another advantage over many other load-outs: Not all the members on the team need to have a Ghost load-out, or even a United States military load-out. Even on the level of fire teams, it is quite common for the Ghosts to have individual allies (which have included a French Marine, a British Commando, a German Para, and a Kazakh spetsnaz operator) and for the Ghosts to work alongside the forces of other nations. They can also consievably be called upon to fight nearly anywhere in the world, so there doesn't need to be a 'blue-on-blue' training excercise or similar reason for why the Ghosts are fighting whoever they're fighting.

Clothing: The Basics

The most important thing for any Ghost impression are the basic clothing needed. This varies from game-to-game and Ghost-to-Ghost. In any case, the entire Ghost team should have utilities with similar or identical camouflage patterns. The break-down of these utilities by pattern is as follows:

Ghost Recon:

-US Woodland

-US Tri-color Desert

Ghost Recon 2:

-US Woodland

-Crye MultiCam

-US Snow

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter:

-Crye MultiCam

-US Army AUDP

Simply select one and that's that. Generally, if you or your team purchase BDUs in US Woodland or Tri-color, it would be a good idea to perform 'RAID' modifications to them. Other options include buying RAID BDUs (which are readily available in both US Woodland and US Tri-color desert patterns) or Tru-Spec TRUs. There is also no reason why a GR2 Ghost impression cannot use Tri-color desert if your team is based in a desert or similar arid environment. The camouflage pattern that creates the most painfully obvious Ghost impression is, of course, Crye MultiCam, which is available from many websites in many different cuts. The Crye MultiCam material itself is available from Crye Precision's website for purchase, if you feel up to the challenge of making your own utilities (there can be no manlier thing to do than making your own combat utilities) and there are all manner of replica MultiCam uniforms available for purchase from websites based in Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, &c.

One peculiar case, Nick Salvatore, wears only a t-shirt under his armor in warm environments and a fleece top in cooler environments. Thus, it is not necessary to be loaded-out from head to toe in MultiCam or Woodland. Simply the trousers will suffice, so long as the top is non-patterned and military-style.

Patches are somewhat uncommon on most Ghost load-outs, but they do include subdued American flags, IR tabs, and subdued blood-type and NKDA patches. Captain Scott Mitchell is unique among the Ghosts in that he wears white patches with 'C-1' inscribed on them on both shoulders. This is, in all likelihood, intended as a means of identifying him as the commander of the Ghosts. The uniforms are otherwise sterile. In GRAW and GRAW2, some Ghosts wear the US Special Forces (Green Beret) insignia and the Company insignia of the Ghosts, as well as a subdued US flag. I personally do not like them, as they make the Ghosts more cartoonish.

Boots can be of nearly any type one prefers. Even in Tri-color and MultiCam, it probably wouldn't be uncommon to see Ghosts wearing old-fashioned US Army or Marine Corps-type black boots. However, far more popular would be the various non-issue boots such as Converse Tactical boots and Oakley SI Assault boots. Bellvilles and Altamas would likely also be popular, but nearly all military and military-style footgear is acceptable.

Gloves are, like the boots, limited to military-type gloves. Everything from sage flight gloves to Oakley SI gloves should work. Models that are commonly seen with the Ghosts are BHI SOLAGs and Hatch Operators in either sage or tan. In concept sketches, some Ghosts are wearing fingerless motorcycle-type gloves. Commercial gloves such as Mechanix brand gloves and similar will probably not work with the impression very well. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

Headgear runs the gamut. MICH helmets (both covered and un-covered), ACH helmets (covered and uncovered) boonie hats, watch caps, baseball caps (branded (Eagle, Paraclete, &c.) khaki is the most popular, although a MultiCam ball cap could work), balaclavas, and even naked heads all work. Similarly, while 'gucci' eye protecion works best with the impression, less expensive options should work equally well. Specific examples include Oakley goggles and glasses.

Load-bearing Equipment

Load-bearing equipment is varied for the Ghosts. Simply put, so long as it's from a quality manufacturer (or is a replica of an offering by a quality manufacturer), it should work. My personal preference in this matter, again, leans toward Ghost Recon 2 for one simple reason: Anything works. While Ghost Recon load-outs will be very ALICE-heavy with very little or no MOLLE to be seen and GRAW load-outs are very MOLLE-heavy with very little or no ALICE to be seen, both make appearances in Ghost Recon 2.

Specific equipment from Ghost Recon 2 include CamelBaks, Eagle non-modular vests (these are available as replicas from manufacturers such as UTG), 3-day packs, chest rigs, MOLLE vests and plate carriers, and even LC-2 suspenders, belts, and butt packs (generally worn with black Delta-style vest underneath). Even if you elect to use MultiCam as the basis of the load-out, mix-and-match with Tri-color Desert and US Woodland equipment and pouches should work well. One thing peculiar to Ghost MultiCam load-outs that are not as common with real MultiCam load-outs is that the Ghosts, by and large, prefer to use OD and green LBE to tan and brown.

Holsters for sidearms are universally drop-leg-type, but the specific model and manufacturer of each individuals holster is typically unique. Eagle and BHI holsters are most common, but nearly any 'tactical' holster should work. If the tactical drop-leg holster isn't your style, you can always go for a hip or belt holster of some sort.

Guns

Put simply, anything works. Ghosts have used weapons generally only used by other branches of the military (M14 DMR), only available commercially (LRS 338), or used by allies and enemys (FAMAS, AK-74M). Examples of the most common weapons used by the Ghosts is as follows:

Ghost Recon:

-M16A2

-M16A2/M203

-M4

-M249

Ghost Recon 2:

-M4A1 (ACOG and EoTech)

-M16A4/M203 (Aimpoint)

-XM8 (all variants)

-XM8/M320

-SCAR (all variants)

-SCAR/EGLM

-M4A1/M320 (EoTech)

-Mk 46 Mod 0

-Mk 48 Mod 0

-SPR 468

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter:

-MR-C

-MR-C/AGL

-SCAR (all variants)

-SCAR/EGLM (all variants)

-Mk 48 Mod 0

-Beretta 'x4 weapon series

-M107 (Barret M82)

Sidearms are somwhat limited in terms of what's canon and what is not. The most common sidearm is the Beretta M9, but the M1911A1 made an appearance in Ghost Recon 2 and the MP5 is available as a sidearm in GRAW. Most Western military sidearms should be acceptable, although handguns should probably be limited to sidearms used by US military forces, including the M9, M1911A1, MEUSOC, SiG Sauer P226, and the M11 (SiG Sauer P228).

Conclusion

A Ghost load-out isn't for everyone. But, unlike many other team load-outs that are highly exclusive in terms of weaponry and LBE, the Ghosts offer one many options and combinations for weapons and kit and this, in my opinion, makes it the perfect theme for teams of people who range from Milsim to paintsoft. Moreover, many airsofters have played the Ghost Recon series and, for many of them, the main allure of airsoft is getting to run around outside like in Ghost Recon. A Ghost impression makes it all the better for them.

:pirate:®

Feel free to post your thoughts, questions, more in depth looks at the gear and guns favored by the Ghosts, and/or your pictures of you or your team-mates' kitted out as a Ghost.

EDIT: A website with some pretty good pictoral references for the kit the Ghosts wear in GR2. The MultiCam load-outs aren't 100% accurate to what they're wearing in Summit Strike, however. Link.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you hit the nail on the head with describing GRAW as cartoonish, what a load of rubbish that was, i prefered gr where it was quite hard to stay alive rather than the arcade style sequals,

im not sure of the pc version but the xbox gr2 and summit strile have a section where you can check out various bits of kit such as the oakley boots and glasses, the rav and the crye multi cam bdu's which i found helpful

on the note of nick salvatore only wearing a t-shirt, for extra accuracy he is wearing an under armour shirt, and also the bdu's you select dont have to be US, Daniel Stevens and Nigel Tunney wore british DPM and Lukas Färber wore flecktarn (i know Stevens and Färber were not ghosts, they just joined the ghosts on certain missions, but Tunney was a full fledged ghost)

weapons wise practically any aeg will fit the loadout, anything from an M4 to an AK, M249 to a coverted MG34. the ghosts have the ability to select practicaly any fire arm they desire which means even though they dont actually feature in the games, you could still use your AUG/HK33/Beta Spetz and pull off the look,

but do give "some" thought to your load out as even though the ghosts may seem like just a bit of mix n match everything fits, theres no mixing of flectarn and us woodland for instance.

there are still a few bits of gear im trying to source, so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated,

1. oakley glasses that are okay for airsofting in, google just brings up retailers for the fashionable ones and no airsoft sites seem to stock them,

2, the oakley boots, same as above, dont really know where to search

3, anyone know the brand of the cap worn by alicia diaz? assumed it was under armour so i got one of those but looking at the pics on the link posted above its not an underarmour logo on there

4, is alicia diaz's headset a bowmans or not?

good review mate, glad im not the only guy out there with desires to do a loadout from tom clancys often overlooked masterpeice, if anyone has pics of their ghost loadouts that would friggin rock!!!!

EDIT, after doing a bit of hunting it turns out alicia diaz "does" wear an under armour cap but also wears another one, would still like to find out what though if anyone knows,

dismembered - airsoft guns arent real guns either, so why dont we make them all pink and fluffy? oh yeah, cos we want them to look good, hence the effort put into doing loadouts to match

Alicia Diaz is wearing a khaki Eagle ballcap. You can get them off of SKDTac and Eagle's website.

For the Oakleys, google should turn up all sorts of goodies, provided you're using the right search terms. If you can't find any, try the official Oakley website.

@SEALSNiper67: Yup. Preferred, but definately not restricted to.

I'll try to get analyses of the specific characters load-outs in GR2 up in the near future.

Awesome job dude. I have always loved Ghost Recon. I have to agree, the new Ghost recons are getting a bit cartoony, and expensive to recreate. The best things they did in GRAW/GRAW 2 is give the player a nice variety of SCARS ( Scar-l,H , LCQCSD, H SV). Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't pla GR2 for a WHILE and I can't rember if it is tan like GRAW's or not.

EDIT: added some more sentances.

The first in a series of character-specific load-out analyses:

Capt. Mitchell, Scott

Concept - Ghost Recon: 2

-RAID BDUs (Woodland)

-Hatch Operator gloves (Sage)

-??? headset

-USGI combat boots

-??? knee pads (Woodland)

First line:

-Black duty belt

-Tactical Tailor Modular Leg Panel (OD)

-Eagle SAS holster

Second line:

-Paraclete RAV (OD)

-Paraclete .45/9mm Quad mag pouch (OD)

-Paraclete Double M4/M16 mag pouch (x4) or Paraclete Quad M4/M16 mag pouch (x2) (OD)

-??? utility pouch

-(Conjecture) Paraclete MBITR radio pouch (OD)

-(Conjecture) Paraclete CamelBak pouch (100 oz.) (OD)

-(Conjecture) Paraclete Medium Upright Utility pouch (OD)

Concept - Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike

As above, except:

-UnderArmor ColdGear compression mock turtleneck (OD)

-MICH 2000(?) with reversible MultiCam/White cover

First line:

-Tactical Tailor Modular leg panel (KH)

-Eagle SAS holster (KH)

SSgt Brown, Marcus

Concept - Ghost Recon 2

-RAID BDU (US Woodland)

-USGI boots

-Hatch Operator gloves (Sage)

-Boonie hat (US Woodland)

First line:

-Rigger/Rapelling belt (OD)

-Eagle SAS holster (BK) (OD in game)

Second line:

-SPEAR BALCS (US Woodland)

-??? LBE MOLLE vest. Looks like a cross between an LBV-88 and a BHI LBE harness. (OD)

-2x ??? SAW box mag pouches w/ PALS (OD)

-Eagle MBITR pouch (OD)

-2x ??? Horizontal pistol mag pouches (OD)

-Paraclete hydration pouch (OD)

Weapons:

-XM8 AR

GR2:SS

Identical except for the following:

-MultiCam utilities

-Fleece watch cap

EDIT: Revised 0016 Monday 19 February 2007 (Zulu)

IIRC jack is right, it is a spear balcs,

the head set cpt scott mitchell wears under the helmet (same as nick salvatore's) is described as Wolf ears in the video in the extra's section. they are electronic ear defenders, but im buggered if i can find any info online???

It could have been, from photos they look like they are exactly the same.

Id just get whichever you prefer or can afford, I think Jagdraben's idea of posting up detailed gear lists is for people looking for inspiration for kit based on GR2, but like the Ghosts you can customize whatever you want and change things for something that will suit you better.

It could have been, from photos they look like they are exactly the same.

Id just get whichever you prefer or can afford, I think Jagdraben's idea of posting up detailed gear lists is for people looking for inspiration for kit based on GR2, but like the Ghosts you can customize whatever you want and change things for something that will suit you better.

there is a section in the extras on the xbox version with reviews of some gear and the omega VI was one of the reviews

i am waiting with great interest on Jagdraben's run down on Alicia Diaz's loadout as thats what im copying

Archived