CA - SCAR-L Hands On Review @ AEX

orca

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who want to wait, STAR is planning on producing an EGLM unit for the SCAR. Now, based on what they want for their HK UGL kit, it'll probably cost as much as the gun you're putting it on. The pic on STAR's site was also bare steel with a black barrel shroud and furniture...unless they release it in tan, you'll probably have to repaint it.

-Chris

Nice Hiijack... that's not black furniture the silver is the machined bare aluminum the black is the plastic parts that make the rest of the EGLM. Same with the pics of the Star SCARS. Those are all typical, 1 off prototype pics. Star will figure out w/e color they feel when they are ready to go to production.

This post from Feb 3 talks all about the Star SCAR and EGLM:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...opic=97184&st=0

Now before a tard war breaks out... This post is about the CA SCAR and the AEX prerelease review of it.

Early to mid-March is the best that I can guess. Like Orca says, US Customs works on their own schedule.

Spreading the lower receiver to remove the gearbox did cause us some anxiety initially but we did it a few times without problems.

I don't have a tan M900, just a black one and it's on the "other gun".

The tan 553 is a SOCOM issue item. It took a year of backorder to get from Eotech. However, the SCAR I saw had brown Trijicon TA31DOCs. That is a Tango Down grip in my picture. Tango Down won the SCAR contract to provide the rail covers and vertical foregrips for the SCAR. (Shameless plug coming). AEX is a dealer for both.

I also just got a couple of issue SCAR slings. Don't know who makes them. As a slingophile, they kinda suck.

early ASZ - the good ol' days when airsoft was one big happy family of enthusiasts from around the world...

Wow, post #3. I think I tripled my post count on an airsoft forum from the past 3 years.

Uh ohhh. I may make you quadruple your post count here bruiser.

I just wanted to point one thing out. You mentioned that a lot of people prefer the color of the G&P guns over the CA. There is a reason for this which goes beyond just the that one reason alone. GP receivers are anodized not painted with the worlds most chip and flake prone paint like the classic army guns.

The above statement leads me to my next question. Is the upper receiver of the CA scar painted in that same terrible paint or is it anodized?

Good point re the G&P guns. I believe that the CA upper receiver is painted (did a little scraping with a screwdriver).

The real SCAR upper is, of course, anodized but it looks shiny bronze or gold in color. Something JayZ would dig and airsofters would disbelieve.

Reputation points are cool. Thank you. Still, I prefer chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches.

Bruiser,

That SCAR sling did not inspire confidence. The metal used for the hooks felt like tin, and the HK-style hooks made a terrible grinding sound against the slotted sling loops. It 'd make me feel better if there was some 550 cord and webbing in-between the hooks and the sling loop.

Arrrgghhh.

My biggest gripe with the CA line of m15's is the painted finish, i have zero problem with the color.

I like CA products, i just dont know if CA's reputation for reliability (hahah, i cant believe i just said that) can over come that one fault, ie the chipping paint. To me thats a huge issue and im sure im not the only one. I like my rifles battle scarred but i like em scratched, not freakin chipped lol.

Bruiser, im mailing you a batch of my patented oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. They should be there in 5-7 days. Upon receipt, if they look like a character from sesame street, ie fuzzy and green, i apologize. :)

I am a bachelor with an empty fridge so I'll eat them anyway...

Yes, Classic Army has come a loooooong way from Kaka Army.

The bungees on the SCAR sling were virtually useless with maybe less than an inch of travel and the HK style hooks might as well been hammered into shape in a countryside shack in China. And I can't tell if it's supposed to be worn as a single point, 2 point, or 3 point with the weird slider buckle placements.

I think TAG makes a great single point sling. It has double bungee and is well made. They also have a cool new hook that unfortunately isn't shown on the sling on their website. This hook was just released officially at the last SHOT show but had been specops combat tested before that. Single side bungee like the G&P sling is almost useless. However, I think I'm liking 2 point slings again. They won't tangle like 3 point slings and won't let your gun muzzle swing like a pendulum like with single point slings. The Blue Force Gear Vickers Tactical sling and Viking Tactics sling have many great features (but still lack something...) but I haven't tried them yet to be sure. I have a ZM Weapons bungee sling on my "other gun" that's supposed to be 2 point but I connected it as a single point. I also have several Royal Arms tubular bungee 2 point sling that is very simple but I think may become uncomfortable over a long period of wearing it. 3 point slings I've used have been Giles, Specter Gear, Tactical Tailor, Bushmaster, and Sling System.

Wait. Why the hell am I talking about tactical gear here??? Ah screw it. I typed it out already.

By the way, it turns out my partner updated the review with the following info:

"We tested the SCAR with all compatible magazines that are currently in the airsoft market. We found the only magazines that are not completely compatible (due to feeding and fitting in the SCAR) are the following:

G&P 130 midcaps

G&G Thermold

AMP Tactical Hicaps

TM Type 89 magazine

Also, with a 400fps upgrade, an 8.4v 1400 mini battery lasts about 1200 shots!"

Thanks for all the info Bruiser, you have been a big help. I had no idea the SCAR could last that long with such an upgrade on a mini. Have you checked how the gun fairs yet with a 9.6v 1400mAh with the same upgrade?

By the way, I meant no offence about my comment on the UMG review nor was I saying that your company is a slouch in any way, I was just agreeing to the fact that reviews are usually biased to certain extents.

By the way, I meant no offence about my comment on the UMG review nor was I saying that your company is a slouch in any way, I was just agreeing to the fact that reviews are usually biased to certain extents.

Also keep in mind. CA, G&G and the other guys switch alot of stuff out as technical issue from production batches arise. AEX's reviews are all first production run pre-release reviews. So internal things are bound to be changed if they solve technical problems.

No problems with MAG mags per the testers. As stated in the review, they tested with all available compatible mags (that we carry) and only the listed ones didn't work right.

Didn't test with 9.6 1400 mini but one can assume safely you'll get more shots than with the 8.4V. When one of our LA guys brought it out to play last Sunday at a CQB arena (which always means very high volumes of fire), he used a 9.6V 1400mini without any problems all day.

No offense taken on pointing out the GnG UMG review error. It was entirely our fault anyway that shouldn't have happened. Not noticing a simple thing like that certainly and understandably undermines our credibility.

Hey Bruiser, I was hoping you could lend us your expertise one more time :D

I found this pic (below) somewhere, I forget exactly.

scar27716.jpg

I was wondering if you could tell us if it is possible to permenately remove the piece holding the battery in place. I myself never fold my stocks, I think it looks ugly and it don't find myself using it a whole lot, even when I'm in CQB scenario. I would rather have the stock where it is as be able to get at the battery faster than deal with removing that plate just for the sake of having the stock fold. If that is not possible, do you have any asthetically pleasing battery bag tips? That is to say, if you are dead-set on drilling a hole for battery cords is there any place you think that would work better than others...I'm not asking you obviously to drill a hole in yours hahaha just curious on your opinion.

Cheers,

Pain

Yeah I hear you Pain on that one, folding stocks are for storing your weapon or for parachute drops or other types of insertions not generally found in airsoft games and this one would not even need to fold as it is adjustable for length.

Really don't like that wire but I guess there is no way around it if you want the stock to fold.

Alrighty...

Just some ideas. Since I dont' have a SCAR in front of me (...damn do I wish I did <_<) I can't really know if they will work or not so perhaps Bruiser can weigh in on these when he gets a few minutes.

Firstly:

scar_01.jpg

* Where it is circled red appears to be an indentation that seems to be big enough to accomidate the black wire in the picture. Remove the wire from the retractable stock and run it out of that hole marked, while this would most likely keep the gun from being able to fold its stock it will perhaps give the ability of a battery bag.

Lastly:

scar_02.jpg

* This idea sadly involves power tools... Remove the area highlighted in red. Perhaps this will be enough to simply slide batteries in and out without problem...Again however this takes away the ability of folding the stock. In all honesty though, I doubt very this mod would give enough clearance even for a mini. :(

Modifying the gun to fit an external battery pouch should be very easy. It'll make the gun ugly or uglier depending on how you feel about the SCAR. Unfortunately, we feel that is the only way to use a large-type battery with the existing stock since we didn't see a way of modifying the stock to fit one internally.

I recently had the opportunity to check out Spartan Imports' (US Classic Army distributor) original pre-production SCAR sample. The extending part of the stock comes right off. The production SCAR does not do that. I think we can easily modify the production SCAR to do the same thing as the pre-production model. This way, you just pull the extending part of the stock off to change the minibattery. I will explore where to do the modification this week and update you.

Archived