Performance drop

Smith5

Ive just tested my 3 AEG's to check theyre still working, which they are. However I made an observation that to me looks like two of them may have lost some fps somewhere.

The guns:

TM G36c (with 1j spring)

CA aug a1 (stock)

CA m14a4 rifle (stock)

The batteries:

G36 and Aug : 8.4v 600mAh NiCD

M15 : 8.4v 2200 mAh NiCd

The observatons:

The tm performed exactly as it did before I used it last with the same rof and same range with no hop up on.

The Aug had a noticalbly lower RoF (closer to that of the G36 when it normally has the highest RoF of the 3 AEG's) and the range was noticably less with no hop.

The M15 performed exactly the same as the Aug but with only a slight decrease in RoF.

All AEGs were cleaned (inner barrel and a few shots fired in semi to decompress the springs, hops turned right down) and since mid september have only been used once in one game in which they had no more than 2000bb's were put through each AEG. The hops were all off when i fired them.

Also, the batery I use in the Aug is normally a 8.4v 1400mAh NiMH mini, not the one I used today.

Can anyone suggest why the performance may have dropped? When normally they all perform pretty much the same as eachother?

Thanks

If you stored them after firing them on full auto (or if they didn't finish a semi auto cycle), they can easily lose fps. Now as for RoF, I am guess that has to do with the batteries just getting older which could also cause a very slight fps drop.

At least those are my best guesses I could easily be totally wrong.

I always make sure I store them after firing a few shots in semi, so im 99.99% sure its not that. And im not sure how an old battery can cause a drop in FPS, as the spring and piston are being drawn back by the same distance all be it at a slower RoF. The batteries are probably the cause of the lowered RoF as they are getting on a bit now... but I still cant think why the FPS would drop on a set of otherwise very well maintained and not overly used AEG's.

The battery wont make a change to the FPS.

The gearbox will still make the same motions and produce the same volume of air regardless of what battery is used.

The battery will, however, have an impact on the ROF as the power of the battery will determine how fast the gearbox performs those motions.

Sam

I always make sure I store them after firing a few shots in semi, so im 99.99% sure its not  that. And im not sure how an old battery can cause a drop in FPS, as the spring and piston are being drawn back by the same distance all be it at a slower RoF. The batteries are probably the cause of the lowered RoF as they are getting on a bit now... but I still cant think why the FPS would drop on a set of otherwise very well maintained and not overly used AEG's.

Sorry i didnt read the drop in fps bit, just the drop in rof. How are you testing the fps? as just by seeing the range isnt a fair test, you really need to chrono.

for 'range' try:

Cleaning out the barrel via rod+cloth.

using 100% silicon oil spray and spray in the hop, also in the barrel and do the above.

for 'fps' try:

stripdown and test compression of he pistonhead/cylinder.

strip, reseat & regrease the hop rubber onto barrel.

you relying on rubber for the air seal, rubber wears down after time, it also may be in bad condition due to lack of lubrication etc.

Thanks for all your input everyone. Im not going to do any of this now as im leaving home for another 5 weeks or so now and thus the guns will remain unused until I get back. I dont have time to put any shots through them and I dont want silicone spray just sitting in the hop up as ive seen how it turns to that funny grey sludgy stuff (from looking at my GBB's where I applied the silicone spray after I last used them before putting those into storeage too)

When I do get back Im going to spray some silicone into the hop ups (ive never done this before) and clean the barrels out once again and then fire them using the barreries I would normally use in them and see if that makes a difference.

Does this sound like the best thing to do?

Archived