Muzzle Energy Discussion

Is is too much to ask for people who live in an area where +1j muzzle energy is legal to be allowed to discuss high speed upgrades? There are people from all over the world on Arnie's. In America, there are no legal limits to velocity (merely a common M120 field regulation) and in countries like the Phillipines, field maximum velocities are basically nonexistent. I met a guy located in the Phillipines whose M4 was shooting 540 FPS! This is completely legal where he lives.

Because this is an international forum, the regulations should be by member location (i.e. implicit, not explicit). Put the responsibility in the members' hands, not the mods. Allow those of us who are allowed by local law to have powerful guns to talk about it, please.

As this is a UK based site, (although, I freely acknowledge it is used by persons from all over the world) It would not be a good move, with the present situation regarding RIF's in the UK, to plainly give people the information to make their toy guns fire at a velocity that would make them illegal to own in the UK.

I'm sure that such information exists on forums hosted in countries where such upgrades will not render the weapons illegal and their owners potentially face a prison term.

Is their any need to duplicate the information in a way which could be seen by those against our sport to encourage the owning of illegal weapons?

Bolt action/single shot guns perhaps as the laws surrounding those are different, but not automatic ones.

Sam

Edited by samuel
This is probably the single largest airsoft forum out there, which means contact w/ way more people than any other place. That's why.

Stop being arsy.

Arnie runs this site basicly out of pocket and receives very little thanks for doing it.

As others have said, UK forum. If you really need advice on upgrades go to a US forum.

I noticed this as well.

I would like to see an US upgrade forum.

That would be great!

That's sounds like a good idea to me, but to be honest, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. After the forum is created, you would have to be able to keep whose from an are where there aren't any FPS limits straight, which would be difficult. I don't know how some one would be able to do this, with possibly thousands of members that are from such an area. Not only that, but what would prevent some one from lying about where they are from? I believe that you can check somewhat easily, but when there are thousands of members that are allowed in a protected forum like this, it would be extremely difficult to police them. And because members from countries with laws regarding FPS limits would not be allowed in the forum, the forum could potentially miss out on alot of valuable information from contributing members. For example: Some guy comes on asking about a problem with his 400FPS upgraded AEG. Because his AEG shoots at 400 FPS, he feels that he should post in the new forum. The problem ends up having something to do with the hop up or something, and either 1) help arrives later than it could have or 2) help is spread over a larger area (as in the answer to the problem is now in a protected forum, instead of Technical discussion and now some one else with the same problem never gets that help). Granted the second part is less important, but I felt it's worth mentioning.

I still think that if such a forum would exist, it would be extremely cool, but probably only because I would have access to an area that others don't. And, to be quite honest, Arnies is the best forum I' ever seen (*albatross* kissing not intended), so it would probably be great to be able to have a section like that.:) In fact, it would be even better to have a section where Americans could talk about the best way to remove the orange tips, how to reach crazy high power levels, and how to keep our teeth pearly white. :P

(Sorry, the only brit joke I know is the bad teeth one).

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer
Cos, according to the "1J rule" you're not allowed to shoot at another person with an air rifle.

That bit, I didn't know.

Dully noted and I therefore remove my earlier support for information on these upgrades where related to single shot weapons.

Sam

I still think that if such a forum would exist, it would be extremely cool, but probably only because I would have access to an area that others don't.  And, to be quite honest, Arnies is the best forum I' ever seen (*albatross* kissing not intended), so it would probably be great to be able to have a section like that.:)  In fact, it would be even better to have a section where Americans could talk about the best way to remove the orange tips, how to reach crazy high power levels, and how to keep our teeth pearly white. :P

(Sorry, the only brit joke I know is the bad teeth one).

SO you want a US only section on a UK forum, of which the server is already buckling from the amount of mainly american teens posting absolute gibberish. See, Americans are stupid, I can make stereotypes too!

This is a UK forum, and although Arnie kindly tries to please everyone he can, a resource hosted on a UK 'site' (ta for the correction Samm) with information pertaining to breaking the law in this country is not what we need right now.

Is it so hard to go to a US forum when you want to talk 'MORE POWER!! AR..AR..ARRR!" upgrades, and to come here when you're ready to again discuss gentlemanly power levels. ;)

Edited by hardboiledcop

Thank you Kerb.

You guys, I didn't mean for everyone to start getting at each others' throats. Like I said before, Arnie's is probably the single largest international forum dealing with airsoft, which translates to the most people available for contact. It's not just a UK forum, which is why I was asking if the responsibility be put on the shoulders of the members rather than the mods, with the discussion rules based on each member's country.

{Serious question, as I honestly don't know}Would it be that difficult to create subforums for upgrades in, say, the technical discussion section, kind of like how each team is allowed to have their own subforum?

You're skirmishing experience has been very different to mine.

:zorro:™

Yes. As in he has one. :P

I have always been very vocal in my support of abolishing the 1 joule limit on discussion here for the reason Pants of Death stated. However I also recognise that as this is a UK based discussion, we always have to be consider carefully any legal ramifications of allowing discussion beyond this limit.

Ultimately I feel that as other UK based forums have not faced any legal proceedings for tolerating discussion above his level, I think that Arnies Airsoft should, if Arnie wishes, show the same tolerance. One other solution could be to have a 'Worldwide discussion' section which tolerated such rules, to reflect the international community Arnies has become.

However I would stress that as it is ultimately Arnie's legal responsibility as the owner of this site, that the final decision rests (and should always rest) with him. :)

You'll probably find that the 1J limit is fairly arbitrary.

It might be designed to prevent toys causing serious injury to the eyes etc. but it is probably well on the safe side for field skirmish purposes.

There was a law here prohibiting civilians owning anything above .270 Winchester rifles, (because the army used .308/7.62 Nato etc.) but a lot of these laws have practically zero bearing on reality.

Some bureaucrat likes the look of a certain number and its made law ;)

The 1J limit couold stand to go up to 1.3 (375fps for a 0.2g) or even 1.5J (400fps) without affecting safety all that much, and would improve gameplay by increasing range somewhat.

It wouldnt be such an issue as long as min. distances are observed, and they're good idea in any airsoft or paintball game regardless of energy limits.

Maybe the penalty for not observing these rules needs to be more severe. Unless you're into battle scars??? :unsure:

I reckon we insist on all users passing a spelling test before joining Arnies. That should weed out most of the 12 year old CounterStrike kiddies almost instantly...

OMG u haxxorz my M4RIS/RAS/SticklebrickMk23SUCUM 500fps sniper boi for teh win.

Wer cane i get partz to make mi gunn shoot dem kat animalz ded?

And whats up with this blatant abuse of the rep system as a headshot style system for frustrated pubescent chairsofters???...(said in Jerry-Seinfeld-rhetorical style voice)

Edited by PenGun