Tigerstripe

blackknights

To be fair, I don't know how many of those criticizing it have seen it used in the jungles of South-East Asia :P But it's pretty clear, from the general consensus, that it sucks in European woodland.

I'm sorry to have to disagree. I'll see to post some pics for you to judge.

IMHO, when you see a person in woodland camo, you see "a person in woodland camo", whereas with tigerstripe anything is more blurry (at least with the chapo pattern I own: I'm aware that some Vietnam era variations, I mean the ones with white/extremely pale green stripes, are no good "abroad").

EDIT: Here's the photo. Not quite "woodland", but you can compare the camos.

gallery_474_125_17294.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely convinced by that photo, seeing as none of you are in cover, but then I don't need convincing :) I like tigerstripe myself, but I just said 'general consensus'. And the fact that tigerstripe was used in the 60's by a few US operators, and it's not widespread at all now :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting that original TigerStripe (aka, Advisor Pattern TigerStripe) came second in the MARPAT competition....

Personally, I am really looking forward to seeing what the new TigerPat Plus patterns look like "in the flesh" http://www.tspcamo.com/sys-tmpl/tigerpatplus/. Unfortunately, Rogue aren't responding to my email requests for information.

The Tactical Tiger pattern looks very cool - and I suppose it would work very well in low-light conditions. Especially if you had matching web gear, rather than solid black.

Technically I use tiger stripe, but it's of Russian decent and not American. 

Do you mean the uniform you wear is a Russian Tiger Stripe pattern, or that all TS is of Russian descent?

If the latter, you'll find that's incorrect. Tiger Stripe was a Vietnamese creation, descended from the French Para lizard pattern of the 50's.

Just Get MARPAT... It works much better ;)

yeah i prefer marpat the most as marpat is the camo i use for woodland. i'd use the swat tigerstripe for cqb because urban bdu's aren't for blending yourself with your surroundings but to make you look intimidating-- i would argue if someone wearing a swat tigerstripe broke down your door you would be scared. :D

JKT1 is correct about tigerstripe.

i liked tigerstripe, but only really had it for my 'nam impression and had some era tigerstripes that were pretty nice.

all i'll say is that i recall someone saying:

tigerstipe is what you call active camo - imitating the environment around you to camouflage you.

marpat is what you call passive camo - not imitating but attempting to blend you into your environment to camouflage you.

tigerstripe had one disadvantage, the concept worked as long as you stayed still. once you started moving, the illusion fails.

Do you mean the uniform you wear is a Russian Tiger Stripe pattern, or that all TS is of Russian descent?

If the latter, you'll find that's incorrect. Tiger Stripe was a Vietnamese creation, descended from the French Para lizard pattern of the 50's.

Quite right :-) And I think russian "kamysh tarn" is more simillar to the french or the portugese lizzard than to the vn tigerstripe ;) Lizzard is very hard to get especially in "european sizes" over 48 :D At the moment I have only a portugese lizzard poncho and a shirt. :(

Let´s come to tiger stripe. There are about 4 or more littlely different sorts of original tiger stripe. "Advisor Cut" only describes the cut as BDU does today ;)

Today there are mostly two wide spread sorts of tiger stripe: The miltec repro

tt.jpg

It is more brown dominant and therefore very good for european woodland

tta.jpg

The original type tiger stripe as BDU-cut (advisor cut is harder to get)

This one is more green and black dominant and therefore better for areas with high contrast and shadows.

In fact every camouflage is useless in the wrong area. If your camo is bad you are not able to use it correct if it is woodland, CCE, flecktarn or else ;)

And to the flecktarn-discussion: I am from "flecktarn-country" and we mostly have the original ones.....and it suckz :D

You can try www.georgia-outfitters.com but depending on your size, they may not have it. I have recently been getting it at www.hdesert.com as www.uscav.com (cheapest at this time - they recently had a sale and it was even cheaper but the sale is over now) did not have the desert tiger stripe when I made a second order thru them about a week apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really want to create a new topic, so I thought I'd resurrect this.

What would be the effectiveness of tigerstripe camo in the UK? I'm not too sure that it would blend well, but saying that I want to put a kit together with tigerstripe, an M14, chestrig and Colt 45.

Any input (thumbs up).

Archived