Tigerstripe

blackknights

Sorry, but it´s called "Advisor Cut" and has nothing to do with the colour. At the picture seems to be the actual BDU-style cut as there are no pockets on the upper arms.

As tiger stripe was no regular camouflage there are different styles of it with light modifications of the used colour. Actually there is one so called original Tiger Stripe by Tiger Stripe Industries that is very similar to one of the used colour settings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
Technically I use tiger stripe, but it's of Russian decent and not American.  The Vietnam Tiger stripe.....sucks.  WAY too dark.  I always see it in the distance as a giant blob of black and dark green.  It would work in dark jungles, where it's designed to work, but outside of that, it's not very impressive.

Actually, the Russian 'tigerstripe' is of French ancestry, going back to the good ol' 1953 French 'lizard pattern'.

After the French bid farewell to Indochina, the newly-formed Republic of Vietnam adapted the pattern of their former governors (as many newly-independent colonial countries do) and created the 'classic' ARVN tigerstripe pattern.

In 1961 and 1962, repeated requests for assistance from the United States and its allies, made by the leader of the South Vietnamese government, saw the dispatch of Amercian and Australian military advisers. These military advisers typically wore the ARVN tigerstripe. It was only later that the U.S. adapted the ARVN tigerstipe for use by their own Special Forces, in Viet Nam.

The use of tigerstripe, by U.S. forces, was by no means widespread. Some American Special Forces units still used the old WW2 'King Kard' camouflage, until the mid-1960s, and there was also limited use of the unsuccessful Mitchel Pattern.

In 1965, however, the M65 ERDL pattern emerged. Initially this was also issued only to 'special' units. Eventually it was issued to regular units, such as U.S.M.C., as well.

american woodland am bestest camo

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... Therefore, in the interests of equal time, I'd like to share this excerpt from a recent Russian article on camouflage patterns:

We will digress, at this point, to mention that the ever-popular U.S woodland pattern, when viewed from a distance of 100 meters, looks like a big, uniformly-coloured blob, which makes its wearer a perfect target. It doesn't work at close ranges, either, because the spots are too big; and the colours are better suited to jungle undergrowth than European forests.

Although, according to Hyperstealth's recent press release on SpeCam:

A broad analysis of tropical environments showed the most predominant colors to be green rather than brown. A 25 year veteran (ret.) of the U.S. Army Green Beret's had also suggested that brown was not a good color for camouflage in tropical environments as the domestic soldiers in Southeast Asia could identify the brown color on the U.S. soldiers camouflage.

So it's possible that the M81 woodland pattern really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. In other words: jingoism has no place in choosing camouflage patterns. You should always choose the pattern that works best in any given theatre of operations.

As it was designed for the Jungles of Vietnam I would imagine it would work best in dark heavy woodland. I would probably be to dark and stand out in lighter cover.

Indeed. There was a guy at Firefight Reading yesterday wearing a nice set of TS - and I had no trouble spotting him.

No-one's answered my question yet, so I'll try again. Is there anywhere in the UK that does TS at a decent (i.e. cheaper than 45 quid) price, or will my mate have to seek his TS from the USA? In either case, where would be the best bet for him to look?

Thanks in advance!

No-one's answered my question yet, so I'll try again. Is there anywhere in the UK that does TS at a decent (i.e. cheaper than 45 quid) price, or will my mate have to seek his TS from the USA? In either case, where would be the best bet for him to look?

Thanks in advance!

USMC sell both the "official" Vietnam advisor pattern uniforms as well as commercial BDU-style variations. Not sure of the price though. Soldier of Fortune also sell 2 or 3 types of Vietnam era Tiger Stripe uniforms as well. Again, I don't know their price off-hand.

I'm pretty sure that all of the other major UK web retailers sell various versions of Tiger Stripe as well. Just try doing a Google search on "UK sites only"....

Actually, the Russian 'tigerstripe' is of French ancestry, going back to the good ol' 1953 French 'lizard pattern'.

There are two french lizard camos. The 1953 "indonesian" lizard is the archetype of the tiger stripe but the russian kamysh is going back to the 1980s french "tschad" lizard used by the legion paras of the 2. REP. The 1953 is more sand dominant as the 1980 is green dmininant. ;)

There are two french lizard camos. The 1953 "indonesian" lizard is the archetype of the tiger stripe but the russian kamysh is going back to the 1980s french "tschad" lizard used by the legion paras of the 2. REP. The 1953 is more sand dominant as the 1980 is green dmininant.  ;)

Well done that man! Except that it Indonesia was a Dutch colony, not French, so if that pattern had a name it was more likely to be named after either Indochina or Algeria. :D

Damn right, man....it was Indochina....

Right you are. I double checked my reference library last night - and the 1953/54 pattern camo uniforms were indeed first issued to the Foreign Legion Paras in Indochina - then they took them with them to Algeria....

And the reason this camo pattern was never introduced to the rest of the French Army was becuase it became "tainted" by its association with the Paras who revolted against De Gualle over the pull-out from Algeria.

And the reason this camo pattern was never introduced to the rest of the French Army was becuase it became "tainted" by its association with the Paras who revolted against De Gualle over the pull-out from Algeria.

Jup, according to the revolte of the 1. REP (Regiment Etrangere Parachutist) and the accusation the 1. REP would have planed parachuting over Paris and arresting the prime minister and its cabinet, the whole regiment was suspended, the officers arrested, the soldiers transfered to other regiments.

Archived