KSC SIG P226 Review

KSCSig2.jpg

At the beginning of the year I had a rather large sell off of my collection. Tax, driving lessons and nights out had destroyed my savings and so things had to go. My M14 and USP were the first, and then I rather sadly got rid of my KJ 226, but with the intention of replacing it. So when the debts had been paid off etc I set out to replace what I so desperately missed. Having had the KJW Sig for about 6 months I had noticed the rate at which the metal guzzled my gas, and also how cheap it looked when I compared it to some of the beauties in the Sig 226 picture thread. So the only 2 options I had were TM or KSC.

Why KSC?

TM was the obvious choice, with rave reviews and my own team mate having one not so long ago. The TM was $30 cheaper. Also, my last escapade with KSC was the rather horrific purchase of their 1911, a complete disaster, which put me off everything KSC. However, on its release the KSC showed qualities which bettered the TM. Most obviously was the realistic mag plate. Flat and smooth like the real steel, it made the pistol appear miles better looking. Secondly, the grip. This appeared realistic with a great texture appearance. I searched around, finding WGC and Dentrinity to be the only stockists. WGC didn’t have the scope I was looking for (for my M40a1 which never arrived ) but Den did. Do I took the plunge and ordered.

KSC P226:

On opening the box you find the usual KSC gubbins, a Japanese manual, a catalogue and the hop up key. I took the pistol out of the box, pulled the red stopper out of the barrel and slid the magazine into the gun. Very nice, the grips are so nice and look and feel 10 times better than TM. What I also noticed was how the plastic didn’t have that faint shine which the TM had, giving this gun a more metal look. The markings are great, if only a tad shallow (better than the USP). The only fake/airsoft markings on the gun is ‘JASG’ in tiny print on the right hand side above the trigger, and ‘KSC’ which is hidden under the disassembly lever. Metal parts include the trigger, sights, disassembly lever, working decocker, slide release catch, mag release catch and hammer. The lower frame has a rail (sadly….only hope they make a cheap none railed metal body), and I tested it with a G&P torch. It fit but getting it off was very very difficult, obviously a tight fit.

KSCSig3.jpg

KSCSig4.jpg

KSCSig6.jpg

KSCSig7.jpg

KSCSig9.jpg

KSCSig1.jpg

Firing and handling:

To fire the pistol is pretty much like every other. Firstly pull the follower in the magazine down to the bottom until it locks in place (bit like the glock series). The drop the bb’s in through the top. Once full, push the follower to release the spring and the bb’s. The place it into the gun. I found I have to do this very firmly, in fact I almost smack it in to be sure it locks (fell out once because it wasn’t in properly), there isn’t really a click sound to let u know it’s in. SO PUSH IT HOME. Then cock the gun by pulling back the slide. One thing I noticed about all of KSC guns is the return of the slide forward always seems weak when compared to TM, so I will probably get an upgraded recoil spring when they come out. Once cocked fire at will. This thing fires very well. Much like the USP series, a hard kick and nice sound. Range is as you would expect (good for a pistol) and it’s pretty accurate too. I was using green as I always do in my pistols and it was coping fine. I got about 1 and a half to 2 magazines per gas fill which is good compared to my KJW.

Field Test:

I took it out in a game recently. Sitting in my fobus paddle holster I had it at my front ready for a quick draw when my AEG failed. However, 10 minutes into the game whilst running under fire it fell off my belt and into a puddle of mud . I picked it up and placed it in my dump pouch. At lunch break I gave it a wipe over. I didn’t require it again until a night game where it was strictly pistols. This thing performed fine when fired however I noticed the slide sticking a bit. So I sprayed some silicon oil on it to see if it would improve it. I cocked the gun and the slide just got stuck back. This got me worried and thinking back to my dreaded 1911 again. However the next morning I stripped it (easily done, and no recoil springs flew out and got lost…unlike their 1911). I gave it a complete rub down and left it dry with no lube. Filled up a mag and cocked it. It was back to its old self and firing like a 226 should. I put it down to too much lube mixed with dirt. Therefore if u do drop it I suggest u give it a thorough clean rather than just a rub down.

Overall:

Overall I would give it 8 out of 10. Yes that’s pretty high and I was surprised myself. Having expected a doomed TM wannabe I was greeted with a neat, better looking pistol which packs an accurate punch. The mag plates really do make this pistol, and make it more of a 226. If I had the choice to get a tm or KSC, I would say KSC.

Appearance: 4/5- still looks plastic

Performance: 4/5- recoil spring is a bit weak

Upgrade potential: Unknown of yet

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice review, Pete. Finally someone has something to write about the KSC version.

It´s a bit shame though, how little these higher end GBBs get attention in these forums nowadays. Unless it´s either a Marui piece or a cheapo-full-pot-metal Taiwanese clone, it gets too easily bashed -without much actual thought.

Could do with someone getting one of these and a TM to do a direct comparison, like someone did with the 1911s.

Although why KSC went with a rail frame, I don't know. If they'd done a non-rail version, I wouldn't have cared if the TM performed better. This is also true of Glocks. Seriously, GBB manufacturers, ditch the rails, we don't all like them.

:zorro:

Sledge.. I sincerely doubt that I will be able to get my hands on the KSC, KJW Tanaka and TM SIG 226s. (the hfc I have right discounted.. I didn't like it one itty bitty bit.. ) I still have not heard of anyone here getting a KSC 1911 for me to add that one.

Oh well.

well, based on the Tanaka SIG229, which really is for collectors and infrequent uses on HFC134a.. I don't think I would get a gbb from Tanaka.

A NBB is a whole other ball park. :)

Hvygear.. I suspect that it is just that KJW may have slightly higher 'lemon' percentages in some lines.

Their USP I would not go for, but I would get their SIG or their M9s (newer models)

• 4 weeks later...

Handsome Pete,

Could I please ask how you feel about the KSC Sig now?

It has been a month or so since your review and I would be very interested to hear if you are still happy with it.

I wasn't that impressed with the TM version but I am keen to add a Sig to my collection so I am seriously considering the KSC.

Cheers,

Chris.

I´d like to read about further impressions too!

Also, it´s been a couple of months already since this gun was released, has anyone spotted a KWA/Taiwanese version (whichever designation you prefer) yet? Or upgrade/reinforcement parts? All I´ve read is that KM is coming with a tightbore for KSC P226R, but that´s pretty much it so far.

Yes i am still very happy with it. The grip and the mag plate still top it off in terms of looks. There are no seems or visible fake markings. Performance is good on green too. The only thing which i prefer about the tm sig is the stronger recoil spring...the slide return on this is a little sluggish wen u hit the slide release catch.

As for upgrades i know nothing. They are certainly taking there time about it. Maybe if more people bought them, metal kits would be in demand...i dunno. Everytime i look at the sig picture thread no matter how nice the prime kit or watever is, that mag plate really ruins it for me. Try the KSC one. :)

Just thought id let people know. Took this out yesterday and used it as my primary weapon. Shooting on green, it fired a treat, nice kills....altho accuracy at a distance is a bit poor (compared to a TM DE lets say). Nice kick, comfortable. And with 2 spare mags it means ur always ok.

This morning i took it apart for the first time, degreased it etc. Came apart fine (not like the ksc 1911), nothing flew out etc. Put it back togther and its fine. If u are contemplating this or the TM, get this...seriously.