Explanation on XYT Gears.

Noodle_2000

nope ,Star use the same gears as most of the cheap chinese brands !

They are reputed to be quite good but it still amazes me that Star charge so much more for thier aegs when they use budget components

Why does it amaze you? They think that they can make more money selling less products for more money rather than more products for less money.

XYT gears stand up pretty well to use and abuse.. even better than stock TM gears. However, their axle ends aren't always evenly cut.. something which makes them hard to fit into metal bushing holes. There are some instances when a gear would have a slightly bent axle which works fine enough with stock plastic bushings but get stuck when using metal bushings.

I had about 15,000 shots through my UTG before I looked at the gears, they seem to be undamaged, no missing or worn teeth. The bevel and spur gear appear to be almost rusty... they're also a different color than the sector gear, possibly different metal.

I'll Chip in that XYT gears seem a bit variable. the ones in my M4 crunched themselves while trying to set the hop.

I'm currently running an element sector and spur gear, and the XYT bevel gear, as it was intact. Lasted the last skirmish without the gears self-destructing, so they work with element gears, to some extent.

They're also made of steel, at least in part. Easily proved by use of a magnet.

they don't innovate much, and they charge a substantially higher price than other brands.

i mean really, its not hard to design a new Gearbox. even G&G can do it.

Star have' the gearbox in the M249 is of their own design and it's well thoughtout and designed - dead easy to change the spring and theres a button to release the piston so you don't store the gun with a compressed piston. It does have XYT gears in it though :P

Only problem I've ever had with mine is electrical issues and that was down to a bit of corrosion in the plug to the gearbox (playing near the sea and getting rained on doesn't help much :P)

Archived