Guide to make G&P midcaps feed properly

Well, seeing as there have been quite a number of people asking how to fix their G&P midcaps, and noticing that there isnt an actual guide with pics, i thought id just whip one up, since i was doing it to mine anyway (mine actually worked fine without the mod, but i did it anyway to make sure there wouldnt be any problems later on)

This method involves putting bbs behind the spring, to give it less space and therefore make it push stronger on the bbs in front.

This is what a G&P midcap looks like inside:

DSC02328.jpg

This is where the bbs go for the mod:

DSC02329.jpg

now to do this you dont have to open it all the way, first, you take out the small allen screw at the bottom of the mag:

DSC02320.jpg

then slide the insides out via the top (just pull on the plastic part), and you have to undo the first screw on the top right corner of the mag (bottom right in the pic):

DSC02323.jpg

The top part of the mag can then swing open like this:

DSC02325.jpg

after you open the mag, you pull out the spring (its kinda long as you can see in the first pic) and then you can put around 10-20bbs inside. Next you put the spring back in (try grabbing the mag in both hands and pulling the spring downwards with your thumbs when its near the end, because it has a tendency to bend and refuse to go all the way in) then close the top down, make sure the follower went back in its hole, and put the whole thing back together. if you take apart the whole mag, be careful with the top part that hinges open, it can and will split in half, and theres a small spring in there that pushes the plastic bit that stops bbs from flying out everywhere. you dont wanna lose that.

hope this was helpful to at least some people :P

nice guide m8. just what the doctor ordered. can i also be cheeky and add to it though?

i found that my G&P mids had TWO springs in them joined by a plastic piece in the middle. this made them alot stronger. however one did have feeding probs.

what i did was what you have described here, i added 10 bb's to the base of the mag. additionally i also put the spring in a box and sprayed it with silicon spray then re-loaded the mag. its fed flawlessley ever since.

my mids are quite new which is what i think accounts for the double spring setup, so when removing your spring please check its length! you may not have all of it. ;)

thanks!

pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to be a downer on a great guide, but I'd just like to note that this mod did not help my G&P Magazine. Still fed like ######. I happened to break a MAG midcap though and scavanged the spring, bb stopper (note sure what the official term is), and plastic 'spring guide'/spacer and replaced the G&P guts with these. Still didn't work well (although it actually fed ten bbs which was more than the G&P spring ever fed), so I loaded and unloaded it several times. This seemed to do the trick and it now feeds flawlessly.

This incident may only apply to older model G&P magazines though as mine was purchased around 2005.

I keep saying this but nobody seems to listen...

Springs twist when they compress.

Midcap springs are rectangular in section. When they compress the spring twists and binds up against the walls of the mag.

THAT is the real problem with them. Everything else simply affects this.

I added a length of electric cable in all my G&P midcaps to compress the spring and it made a difference but there's no guarantees. It just depends how your spring twists as to whether it'll bind up.

I keep saying this but nobody seems to listen...

Springs twist when they compress.

Midcap springs are rectangular in section. When they compress the spring twists and binds up against the walls of the mag.

THAT is the real problem with them. Everything else simply affects this.

I added a length of electric cable in all my G&P midcaps to compress the spring and it made a difference but there's no guarantees. It just depends how your spring twists as to whether it'll bind up.

So is this why std TM mags are more reliable?

So is this why std TM mags are more reliable?

I dunno TBH.

Obviously there are other midcaps that work far better than G&P ones as well. I think the problem is something to do with either the shape of the spring or the shape of the wire it's made from. Maybe the corners can dig into the walls of the BB channel more?

Strange, all 4 of my G&P midcaps feed perfectly fine. All I did was lubricate them with some silicon oil, tipped and moved them around a bit untill the oil got all through out, then loaded and unloaded them about 6 times, no feed issues so far so long as I dont fully load them (I only put 1 speed loader in them anyways)

Good guide though, If I ever have any issues with mine I'll be sure to take this into consideration :)

Strange, all 4 of my G&P midcaps feed perfectly fine. All I did was lubricate them with some silicon oil, tipped and moved them around a bit untill the oil got all through out, then loaded and unloaded them about 6 times, no feed issues so far so long as I dont fully load them (I only put 1 speed loader in them anyways)

Good guide though, If I ever have any issues with mine I'll be sure to take this into consideration :)

Did you strip the magazine before you lubricated it?

Did you strip the magazine before you lubricated it?

Not at all. Like I said, I poured some silicon oil into the magazine. Rotated them to get all the oil through the grooves in the bb track. Let them sit for an hour. Then filled them with 1 bb loader about 6 times each and they all work fantastically. Feed very reliably havent had a single misfire except in one of them that I accidentaly loaded to the full capacity (I only want them to work for 90-100 rounds because thats all I will ever use in them). If I wanted to get them to feed all 130 I'd just repeat the same with them fully loaded instead. After I did the speedloader bit I just let them sit with a rag under them and a rag on top. After two days sitting there I just wiped the excess oil off and went about my merry way.

So far they have been through 3 games no issues.

• 1 month later...

I've never had a problem with feeding on any of my G&P midcaps (although it sounds like I have been lucky) but I did have issues getting them to seat properly in the mag well of my CA M15A4.

The bottom of the hop unit feeding tube didn't always line up with the hole on the top of the mag, and the mag would drop out as it wasn't locked in.

I used a round file to round off and flare the internal edges of the feed port of the mag. Nothing too drastic, just enough to help the hop unit sit properly. When you do the filing keep some BBs in the mag so the debris doesn't enter the internals, and clean off the dust with a brush when you have finished.

I've had no problems since…

Edited by SixtyNiner