Yesterday I couldn't access Arnies site or forums in the evening.

The day before I had the same problems through the day.

I could get access to other sites no problem. In fact, while I was looking at the Zeroin forums I even found that a thread about the Academy L85, which had pic's hot-linked from my review here, was displaying the pic's as broken links. I just checked now and the pic's are working.

So is Arnies site up and down like a who... like an elevator or is it just the the net over here is doing odd stuff?

Hmm I was around in the evening and there wasn't any problems that I knew of. The server was busy, but was all doing okay.

Sometimes there's routing problems to the USA from the UK, but that's not my fault ;) The hosting company tend to route most of their EU traffic through level3.net (big data pipe), so when level3 has issues sometimes the site can be hard to access, but these issues are pretty rare on the whole.

I just had the reports back from the monitoring setup (based on a different server/location) which was showing 100% uptime and fast responses.

I've gradually tweaked Apache and MySQL (the core web services) over the past few months to get things running as well as I can on my own. I'm no huge linux/server guru so I just do the best I can. As far as I have seen load and response times have been nice and fast.

The server does the whole log crunching and tidy-ups in the wee hours of the morning at predicted periods of low traffic (sometime from 0130 to 0630), but unless you happen to try to access a page at the exact second the web service is restarted you shouldn't notice anything.

Odd.

I've found that I just get "Page not found" errors for hours at a time.

As I say, the weirdest thing, which seemed to confirm that it wasn't my problem, was that the pictures linked from your site were showing as broken links.

I'm no net whizz either. Is it possible that a site can be available on only "part" of the WWW?

Dunno where my IP shows me as being but I'd getting a feed off a satellite dish in the car park from an Africanserver, I think.

Rest of the net is usually fine though. Whenever we have server outages here I can't do email and everybody else is whining too.

Sid: Your IP is listed as being owned by a marine systems company up North. I won't post the name as no need to list your IP publically.

It is possible for a website to been offline for some of the 'net. The server is hosted with a company that routes traffic to the EU (and certain other places) through another company that leases them some very big network lines. As far as I know there's at least two types lines out of the hosting company. I've checked through their support systems and there were issues with the EU lines yesterday for a brief period.

Generally speaking if there's an error message (404, SQL error report or similar) from the server here it's my fault.. if you get a timeout of some sort then it's not generally my fault.

Sid: If images are posted in a forum elsewhere that are actually on this server and you can't access this site (for some reason down to routing issues) then the images won't load either as they are read off this server by your machine int he same way as if you'd seen them here. ;)

If there are any periods of connectivity issues do let me know as we send feedback to the hosting company in the vein hope that it doesn't happen again. In short they can't fix things they don't know about.

It's all kinda a suck it and see approach here to configuration files. I jsut have to take a wild stab (or educated guess) at what the values should be and then adjust as needed.

I've tweaked it again so that there should be an issue. SQL was running under default values initially, and I adjusted my.cnf earlier to speed things up, sadly I tweaked the max connections down too much accidentally. With the masses that are on the site (not just the forums) there's a limited amount of SQL connections to go around per user/client.

Hey but it's all fun as a learning process though. ;)