Classic Army G3-SG1 mini-review

Okay, this is a mini-review. This means I have no pictures, no fancy grouping testings, no paragraph descriptions of how pretty the box looks, and no page-and-a-half stories about the real steel.

I got the CA-SG1 (what i call it, M41 taktik II sounds stupid IMO) for $290 from redwolf a while back because I wanted something different than My CA36E. The 36E was a great gun, but after a while it started to not really suit me. A few days later a BIG HEAVY package arrived at my door. Finally, it was here.

I ran upstairs and ripped open the box and just sat there staring at the G3 for about 10 minutes. I picked it up and noticed the first thing all of you will notice:

IT IS FREAKING HUGE!!!!

This gun is about 41.5," and with the battery (A 9.6V fits snigly in the back), mag (the included 500rd hicap is very nice and feeds very well), scope, and mount (more on these later) it is around 13-14 pounds. It is more solid than most rocks. Seriously, if you dropped this on a cat you would probably kill it. There are no creaks or anything that plagued the marui G3 series, possibly because the CA has a metal body, which is also very nice.

Enough about that, how about shooting? I ran outside and pulled the bolt back, and unlike other CA guns, it opens up the breach! Hot damn a full metal bolt is fun! The hopup is nice and is just like the other CA new type hopups you find on their newer guns. I flipped down the bipod, which is a fair amount wobbly to my dislike, lifted the butt to my shoulder, and looked down. Unfortunately, the cheek rest comes stuck on and prevents you from using the sights. This is why YOU MUST BUY A SCOPE WITH HIGH A PROFILE MOUNT WHEN YOU GET THIS GUN!!! I made this mistake and had to order a scope seperately which was quite annoying. Really though, this gun just doesn't look right without one :P .

This little annoyance aside, i flipped the switch to semi (clicks into place well) and pulled the trigger. A nice little *pop* emitted and the .23 bb flew about 90 feet. It was arrow straight too! I pulled the bolt back again, turned the hopup on this time to a bit below where i had it on my CA36, let it slam forward, and mashed my cheek down to take aim again. Another little *pop* and the bb went a good 130 feet arrow straight until dropping off again. This thing is a sniper from birth. I fiddled with the hopup for around 50 rounds until i had it perfect, and when it was just right the bbs were going 160+ feet accurately!

I flipped it over to auto, and this is where this gun can really fly. Imagine a TM FAMAS and a KSC M11 had a crack baby, and they fed it steroids in its little crack baby youth. That's about how fast this gun shoots on a 9.6v battery. It will put out over 1350 rpm on a 9.6, and around 1100 on an 8.4. I actually switched over to an 8.4v battery and ditched the 9.6 because I was afraid i would damage the gearbox at those speeds!

I now have a madbull 6.03mm tightbore barrel in mine. It shot about 320 FPS before, and now it puts out power in the 340-350 range. As for accuracy, I can take down targets at 180 feet most of the time, and I can reach 200 on occasion. This gun is wickedly accurate.

Overall, would I reccomend the gun? Hell yes I would! However, if you are small and/or play mostly CQB, find something else. I am 5'10" and of large build and I get exhausted carrying this 15lb monstrosity around. As a result of its large size, it's very difficult to turn corners with and move quickly. Hence its name: autosniper. If you need a sniper rifle, support gun (this is up there with a CA249 in support ability) or both look no further. If this is not you, look for something else.

There, hope this helps you in your decision to buy one or not! Now you people can stop bugging me to write a review on it.

• 2 weeks later...

There you go killing cats again... :lol:

Nice review but a couple of questions:

When you say you cant get onto the sights because of the cheekpad...do you mean with your cheekbone resting on the pad, or your jawbone-type area? Because it seems really daft having a gun which has sights you cant use :o Unless of course you wear a full facemask which would make sense.

Have you chrono'd the gun to get those results? Because AFAIK Classic Army are putting weaker springs in now to get past Japanese .9J power laws. Certainly, my M15a2 ran 305 stock, and my CQB SEAL a little under 280.

Cheers :)

I ran a chrono a bit ago right after a fresh coat of lube and a good cleaning of the tightbore. Before the barrel was put in, it ran about 310-320. The sights are just about completely useless with your cheek bone on, and with the jawbone you can almost see them well enough for regular use. Realistically, without a sight of some sort the sights aren't really practical for skirmish use.

Guzzihero - CA do not need to adhere to Japanese laws because they are a Hong Kong company !

the CQB Compact series are just supplied with softer springs ,probably due to the nature of the combat they were designed for .

Nice mini-review chap ,as a side note I should point out that if users do not want to use a scope it is quite easy to remove the cheek rest as it should only be stuck on with double sided stickie tape !

I for one have never liked the SG1 cheek rest even when using a scope and therefore always remove them.