Oakley SI Ballistic M-Frames

Angry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy ###### this topic went of topic quick..

The easy answer is they're amazing, and get them. The longer answer is below.

Actually, there was a time when the US Army was issuing the M-frame, luckily they stopped right after they issued me mine, so I was able to keep them ((and all my DCU issue stuff too, Hooah.)) The moved onto the two lense system, the name of which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think they're fantastic. Tons of coverage on the eyes, and a good enough ballistics raiting that they ###### one of the dogs in my house off when she tried to eat them. Even with the bite marks, they were quit usable in country.

I just discovered recently that because I'm soldier I can also get replacement lenses for about the same price you probably got your knock offs for. yeah, it's just that sweet to be a soldier. I thought it was cool enough when they started paying me to play airsoft with real guns. ((only cool in training environmants, mind you))

Stuntman: 400USD? holy ###### man, even without the USG discount they're only 170 on oakley.com! that's dedicated man, thumbs up to you.

[edit] damnit, I'll edit this for spelling and missing words later... [/edit]

:blink: 

Um yeah, we already said that.  500-550fps/.2g sniper rifles are what is commonly found across the USA.  Good job catching up.

400fps/.2g is the energy level for assault rifles commonly across the country.

Examples:

http://www.georgiaairsoft.com/fieldrules.html

That equates to higher than 400fps/.2g.  You understand energy, right?

http://www.eaghq.com/AIRSOFTRULES.htm

Oh wow, another 500+fps/.2g limit!

http://www.wnyal.net/index.php?page=44

What, again?  That's right:  http://www.sacairsoft.com/content/view/13/43/

http://www.airsoftpacific.com/content.php?page=2

http://www.floridaairsoft.com/features/rules.php

Do your homework next time.  Reading comprehension is a good thing.  Stating what someone already said earlier does nothing to help your "argument".

Oooh, name-calling.  Cute.  Can't put up so you have to resort to name-calling.  Sad.  You want PROOF?

Here you go:  https://usstandardissue.com/tech_impact.aspx

Along with an ANSI Z87.1 rating.  That is easy proof to present, right there on the 'net for you.  Now present yours.  If you are so confident in yours, why do you keep trying to challenge one of us to put Oakleys up to it?  It was requested of you, but you keep dodging it by turning around the request.  Again, prove it; Oakley has their info right there.  Enough said.

Those are facts.  Something you still haven't provided about your product that you have tried to sell on another site.  If you don't condone them or think they should be eye protection in airsoft, why are you bothering to post in this thread?  Just to bash Oakley? 

You sure tried to sell extras at another site.

Exactly and that's cool.  But that doesn't mean they should be touted on airsoft sites as eye protection substitutes, which you have exactly done by saying they perform as well as Oakleys.  Why did you post on the other site and this site to bash Oakleys and tout your knockoffs?  Out of the goodness of your heart to save people money?  Or to sell the extras you had? 

Are Oakleys expensive?  Hell yeah, but out of all the different optics I've tried, they did have the best clarity, and they have passed regulatory agency testing to prove they can take the abuse.  Your one unconfirmed and untested example is nothing compared to the vast amount of other experiences and objective data out there.

Yawn.  No, but I can deal with objective data, not depending on "Yo, deez are the coolest, they don't break, dey r better than Oakleys bcuz I said so!"

Prove it or shut up.  Oakleys have an industry standard rating from a 3rd party regulatory source.  Yours don't.  Great for fashion, but not very reassuring to be pimping on an airsoft site as eye protection.

Wow, in all honesty, i have to ask. Did you take the short bus to school? or just a ex-Oakley distributer that lost his business?

PLEASE FINE WHERE I SAID WHERE REPLICAS FOR SAFETY. Im sorry your real Oakleys are doing so well because of the replicas. Thats tough luck. Oakley should lower their prices the. I will take the Replicas Oakleys sunglass any day over the real ones. After what i seen and witnessed and not only me. Some buddies went through same thing. Way, way overpriced product.

I just want to clarify one more time. Original Oakleys break the same as the replicas. If The lenses are suppose to be better im sure they are but ive see real ones beak more then the replicas. If you feel like Paying $400 fine or $5- $10 go ahead. Either way they are sunglasses. If i were to compete with high power rifles i wouldnt use either. I would go with the think full Ski goggle.

Since i sold all the ones i had, i dont have anymore to sell. So how can i? i have this pair left and im not selling them. Im saving them for you to test your pair against this pair in BBs test. Im willing to do it no problem. Even if they are not for safety purposes. I just want you to put your pair up on video showing what distruction it does your the real and i will do the same with the replica. Since yours are original right you have nothing to worry about. Mine if it breaks oh well, i'll get another. After REMEMBER, i never said to where these for protection.

Oh and please dont make another response until you do the test! kapeesh!

50calOakley.jpg

I just wanted to second the opinions here. I am in the US Coast Guard, and we love the Oakely's. I use a pair of polarized SI Monster Dogs, also if you go to an oakely store or simply search online, Oakley makes a chemical spray that you apply every so often and it makes the water bead up and roll down during those rainy days, and also helps even more with fog issues (if they ever happen, which is rare).

I dont really see the relevance of that.

The performance of the genuine Oakelys is well documented. They have safety ratings (ANSI Z87.1 apparently - go look it up) and are sold in several places as saftey glasses. Now go test yours.

Also, despite whether you claimed yours were safety-grade or not, you are debating whether oakley ones are. As I understand it, with that rating on, if they do fail, you have a legal comeback against the manufacturer (anyone confirm that?). Again, something yours dont offer.

Overall though, I dont think you're adding much to this thread, are you?

I can get a pair of Bolle Siliums for about £5 on ebay, the Oakley's linked in the first post cost £50. For airsofting, are they really worth 10 times as much?

Just a warning. Whilst Oakleys are ANSI rated, different glasses have different ANSI ratings... meaning that there are a glasses that you CAN NOT take onto an airsoft field.

A good friend of mine took the wise choice of testing his Oakleys with a TM shotgun and the lense cracked. If he had been wearing them at airsoft and was unlucky to get a couple of bb's up close on his glasses then he would of lost an eye. Any protection you use should be tested before you even consider wearing them at a skirmish.

Alright, there is some truth in what everyone is saying here.

It is true that Foakleys have an occasional tendency to outlast Oakleys (M-Frames here). Their frames somtimes have a lesser tendency to snap and on rare occasions outlast Oakley M-Frames.

BUT

Oakley lenses are made out of a material used only by Oakley known as Plutonite, which prevents the distortion a curved lens creates. Foakleys do not use any special material to produce their lens, just your average ballstic-rated glass, as found on your common shooting glasses that tend to come free with your $8 springer. It will most likely meet the standards of airsoft, but probably not withstand a shotgun blast at 3 feet as the Oakleys were meant to withstand (though again, this situation is highly unlikely in the world of airsoft). Point being, Oakley lens are specifically designed to not distort the vision of the wearer, making what you see off and on the lens 1:1, and 100% accurate (meaning it will not affect your aim), whereas Foakleys do nothing except block off plastic pellets. There is a reason other than the big "O" on each side of your head that you spent much more for these sunglasses.

And once again, an airsoft discussion can be concluded with the following simple message:

You get you what you pay for.

Alright, there is some truth in what everyone is saying here.

It is true that Foakleys have an occasional tendency to outlast Oakleys (M-Frames here).  Their frames somtimes have a lesser tendency to snap and on rare occasions outlast Oakley M-Frames.

BUT

Oakley lenses are made out of a material used only by Oakley known as Plutonite, which prevents the distortion a curved lens creates.  Foakleys do not use any special material to produce their lens, just your average ballstic-rated glass, as found on your common shooting glasses that tend to come free with your $8 springer.  It will most likely meet the standards of airsoft, but probably not withstand a shotgun blast at 3 feet as the Oakleys were meant to withstand (though again, this situation is highly unlikely in the world of airsoft).  Point being, Oakley lens are specifically designed to not distort the vision of the wearer, making what you see off and on the lens 1:1, and 100% accurate (meaning it will not affect your aim), whereas Foakleys do nothing except block off plastic pellets.  There is a reason other than the big "O" on each side of your head that you spent much more for these sunglasses.

And once again, an airsoft discussion can be concluded with the following simple message:

You get you what you pay for.

Well said, Your right but the part about you get what you pay for meaning the lense should be worth 99% of the price because the frames are no different and the fake ones do offer some sort of protection. Im willing to do a test and im sure the real lenses will out perform the fake ones. I never seen any glasses shatter but both fake and real crack.

What would be a good distance for a test say 25ft away single shot to lense? I will get a video of this and upload it to Youtube. I would like for someone to shoot a real pair also. My gun stock shoots 375fps or so. I think that is a good average.

Any suggestions?

don't own anything else but Oakleys have a pair of the original Straight Jackets, over 10 years old and still going strong.

Oh and by the way if you do break your frames and you still have the warranty card and the receipt Oakley will replace them for free. I had a pair run over by a fork lift truck while BMXing (Long Story) and sent them back to Oakley still covered in dirt with an explaination on what happened.

New frames same lenses.......6 years later still going! Now lets see your cheap copies do the same..... and oh.... I'm very prepared to put my Oakleys on the table when it comes to FPS testing......as if they do break i know Oakley will honor my warranty!

OH and the point blank test is how alot of fields test suspect eye protection.....and saying its realistic .....it's call worst case scenario.....You get in Elephant grass you can get within 50cm of someone without knowing they are there....thats pretty much point blank!

don't own anything else but Oakleys have a pair of the original Straight Jackets, over 10 years old and still going strong.

Oh and by the way if you do break your frames and you still have the warranty card and the receipt Oakley will replace them for free. I had a pair run over by a fork lift truck while BMXing (Long Story) and sent them back to Oakley still covered in dirt with an explaination on what happened.

New frames same lenses.......6 years later still going! Now lets see your cheap copies do the same..... and oh.... I'm very prepared to put my Oakleys on the table when it comes to FPS testing......as if they do break i know Oakley will honor my warranty!

OH and the point blank test is how alot of fields test suspect eye protection.....and saying its realistic .....it's call worst case scenario.....You get in Elephant grass you can get within 50cm of someone without knowing they are there....thats pretty much point blank!

I already stated i had a real pair broke 3 times in less then 2 months and fake pair for over 5 years. Nuff said and the cost $10. Go figure!

LOL, Yeah.  Thats pretty cmon in Airsoft is 1 foot distance these days during games.

Unless you guys do russian roulette with airsoft guns that is. Christ ole mighty!! :blink:

I've twice gone round a corner where guys have shot me point blank in the face (more to do with nerves instead of wanting to go out of their way to cause harm). And one of those times 3 bb's bounced of my Guarders. It does happen, and if your glasses do not withstand the rigors of a point blank test then your putting your eyes at extreme risk.

LOL, Yeah.  Thats pretty cmon in Airsoft is 1 foot distance these days during games.

Unless you guys do russian roulette with airsoft guns that is. Christ ole mighty!! :blink:

"Pretty uncommon" is enough to mean its the scenario you should be testing for. I've shot someone at under a foot (aiming for gear though) and at around 3 feet. And thats at a woodland site. CQB could potentially be much, much worse.

Also, you seem very unwilling to test these "to destruction" given that they only cost you $10.

I already stated i had a real pair broke 3 times in less then 2 months and fake pair for over 5 years. Nuff said and the cost $10. Go figure!

Again, warantee.

Wow, in all honesty, i have to ask. Did you take the short bus to school? or just a ex-Oakley distributer that lost his business?

Probably be easier to read your posts if you tried using some basic English.

Here's your quote from another forum that states your claim:

Polycarbonate is Polycarbonate. Hell, they make cheap $5 safety glass with Polycarbonate. Some Oakleys still have Polycarbonates your paying for the name. I could go and say I bought a bag 5000 BB's from this website http://www.airsoftadvantage.com/ and only got 2,000. Plus they jammed up my gun cuz it was used BB's.

Anything to hurt the sales right!

There you go. Trying to tout them as fine for safety, along with you being mad that someone was trying to "hurt your sales". Talk about pot calling the kettle black. It was pretty funny that you edited all your posts in that thread after getting called on that too.

I will take the Replicas Oakleys sunglass any day over the real ones. After what i seen and witnessed and not only me. Some buddies went through same thing. Way, way overpriced product.

Yawn, more unsubstantiated yakkity-yak. Funny how numerous users locally have not had a single problem with them over years of use also, along with multiple users in this thread from the looks of it.

PLEASE FINE WHERE I SAID WHERE REPLICAS FOR SAFETY.

Right here:

I already said i used them didnt it. Worked fine for me.......

Not saying these are better then anything else but do have protection as some other safety glasses.

Right there you said they were fine to use for safety.

Oh, what's this? Your quote:

By the way, i'll do a Youtube video as soon as i get a chance of me shooting a pair, and i think you should shoot one of your Safety glass. DEAL?

You posted that on 2/18. We're still waiting.

http://www.classicairsoft.net/forum1/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7262

Im saving them for you to test your pair against this pair in BBs test. Im willing to do it no problem.

Still waiting. Why do you have to save them? If they are as tough as you say, run 'em. Let me guess on your response: "im wating for you to test first becase im only pay $15 for mine"

Oh and please dont make another response until you do the test!

Practice what you preach.

My gun stock shoots 375fps or so. I think that is a good average.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Get a high-powered sniper rifle at 500+fps/.2g energy. From within 12". No reason to half-*albatross* the test with a moderately-powered replica.

A good friend of mine took the wise choice of testing his Oakleys with a TM shotgun

We're talking ballistics glasses, ANSI Z87.1-rated, not just any 'ol Oakley sunglasses. There is definitely a distinction there.

Again: https://usstandardissue.com/tech_impact.aspx

Part of an industrial standard called ANSI Z87.1, the high-mass impact test requires that the lens be hit by a 500-gram metal spike (over a pound of weight) dropped from a height of 51.2 inches (over four feet). To pass the test, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

Oakley premium eyewear also surpasses the ANSI Z87.1 test for high-velocity impact protection. For this test, a pneumatic cannon accelerates a quarter-inch steel shot to 102 miles per hour. The lens is targeted straight on from three different heights, and at seven different angles. To pass the high-velocity test, no contact between the lens and eye is permitted during impact. In addition, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

Step up and prove it with the knockoffs or just go away.

You're getting desperate, are ya? Running out of points to talk about while repeating your same mantra over and over again...

Once again: Have you heard of WARRANTY? Or, were those so-called "real" Oakleys also Foakleys? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i had a pair of XXs(20s) and the bad part was that the earpiece(is that right?) could pop off so it wouldn't break but one day, i had them in my pocket hanging off one piece and i sat down in a chair and i lost the rest of the sunglasses. just thought i should point that out cause they might break off when shot at.

Archived