Loadout for Stirling Selection Weekend

Mud Puppy

So I'm looking for people to review and make comment on my current thinking for the kit list I intent to take for doing Stirling Airsoft Selection at the end of May (http://www.stirlingairsoft.com/stirling-selection-11.html). Basically, there's a 14 mile tab over the Black Mountains in Wales, then an overnight tactical exercise to do while a bunch of well trained men try to hunt you down. I figure I'll have a go at being Jonny Marksman and see how I get on.

I've had a good read around and I like Phantom's advice (6mm hunter bloke) on 24 - 48 hr load-outs, so I've started from there and the recommended kit list from Stirling themselves:

• Bergan. I figure this is just for the point to point and will be loaded with 25kg of stuff by Stirling on the day (so I'll take it empty), which means it doesn't have to be camo'd or anything, just comfy - my regular big bag will be fine
  • Sleeping bag and ground mat.snugpack softie which packs down to 18cm x 19cm and a roll-mat, maybe the thermarest ridge rest. I also figure a Jack Pyke bivvie bag would be an idea and a poncho roll or basha to stow it all in
  • Wash kit - be warned, there are no shower facilities on site. washing? Maybe some wipes and some antibac gel
  • Toilet roll. oh yes, must not forget
  • Eye protection. standard mesh goggles
  • Weapon (Airsoft) VSR/Bar if I can get one or my L96, and my NBB CO2 CZ75D compact
  • Combats - jacket/trousers. Multicam gear, but do I take spares? Do I take my webtex concealment vest?
  • Good boots. If anyone wants to buy my spare kidney I'll get a pair of Altberg sneaker boots, else I'll stick with my goretex army boots
  • Webbing/assault vest or something to carry water/ammo/survival equipment. Brit desert DPM snipers webbing from Dragon Supplies, possibly modified with some dye? 4 big magazine pouches, 4 Utility pouches, compass/knife pouch and 4 .338 Lapua Magazine pouches on the outside of the utility pouches. These are placed in such a way that from the prone position it allows easy access to the magazines :D
  • Water bottle/rehydrator. Brit desert DPM camelbak (ditto on the dye) plus a couple of 58 waterbottles
  • Multi-tool or pocket size screwdriver set. gerber?
  • Torch/Lightsticks.I like the Maxx3 sniper tac-light cause you can set it to low power, but it's expensive - alternatives?
  • Spare batteries
  • Brew kit My trusty Jetboil
  • Compass Yup
  • Mapcase Ok

So Phantom recommended splitting kit down thus: Shooting kit : basic rifle and bag, plus other bits you won't carry into the game.

For me this is my rifle with a sling

Day Kit : Could be a belt kit, day sack, webbing or assault vest, with basics you need to stay in the game (water, cold foods, magazines/pellets, battery, waterproofs, brew kit)

Smock pockets packed thus:

• Cold food
  • Spare batteries
  • Basic first aid set
  • Whistle
  • Bog roll, wipes and antibac gel
  • Goggles
  • Compass
  • Lighter
  • Signal mirror
  • Notepad
  • Pens/pencils
  • Torch

Sniper webbing packed thus:

• Pistol in an ammo pouch
  • Bag of BB's in an ammo pouch
  • 2x speedloader in an ammo pouch
  • Brew kit in an ammo pouch
  • 2x 58 water bottles in 2x utility pouches
  • Spare clothes/waterproofs/webtex in a utility pouch
  • Couple of wayfarer meals and some spare cold food in a utility pouch
  • Gerber in pouch
  • Spare rifle mags in pouches

Camelbak

• Do I add elastic to this for foliage or take the webtex?

Night Kit : Often a rucksack/bergen with basha kit, optional hammock, bivie bag, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, cooking set, hot food supplies and restock of cold food. Extra layers and fresh socks.Not sure how much I can get in a poncho roll but could just strap it all in a basha? Either way, it's going on the bottom of my belt kit cause I won't be able to stash anything:

• Bivvie bag
  • Sleeping bag
  • Roll mat
  • Fresh socks
  • Fresh Norwegian (not a girl, warm top - Britfor issue)
  • Pyjamas (kidding)

Can't think of anything I've missed but maybe there's too much there? Any advice gratefully received

Matt

Selection is'nt a game mate, its designed to push you physically and mentally as far as you can possibly go.

Taking a snipers rifle and ghiile suits and stuff like that is a waste of time and effort same for a pistol, you will need good comfortable kit, well fitting boots and simple kit aswell, for clothing DPM kit will be fine

A good set of webbing to carry water and ammo will suffice and a normal AEG rifle will fit the bill perfectly, there is alot of stuff you can and can't use/have etc etc

Just follow the kit list on the website and you will be fine

the most important thing is phyiscal fitness

Selection is'nt a game mate, its designed to push you physically and mentally as far as you can possibly go.

Taking a snipers rifle and ghiile suits and stuff like that is a waste of time and effort same for a pistol, you will need good comfortable kit, well fitting boots and simple kit aswell, for clothing DPM kit will be fine

A good set of webbing to carry water and ammo will suffice and a normal AEG rifle will fit the bill perfectly, there is alot of stuff you can and can't use/have etc etc

Just follow the kit list on the website and you will be fine

the most important thing is phyiscal fitness

Sounds like you have some experience of this which is exactly what I don't have and why I guess I'm asking these questions, really appreciate the advice

In terms of physical fitness, I started training mid Jan so I'm hoping to be in reasonable shape by the end of May. Hill training is a little difficult due to being stuck on a boat four weeks out of eight, but there's a gym on-board so my cardio and strength training is going okay

So, ditch the webtex, most of the food, the pistol and no boltie - just hope my AK is okay :huh:

Thanks Darthwhite, will do - I've got a Silva headtorch which is similar to the Petzl and has a red light setting too so I guess I'll take that, and the little LED keychain thing looks handy for map reading and stuff

One other recommendation I've had is to take a water purifier to cut down the water I have to carry - any suggestions on good ones? Is the SteriPEN any good for the money?

Archived